All behavior which deviates from the socially accepted and normal behavior can be classified as abnormal behavior in psychiatry. Though extremely difficult to classify, psychologists have grouped abnormal behavior in four large groups – 1. Maladaptive abnormal behavior – Where the sufferer tries to harm another person or animal 2. Socially abnormal behavior – Where the person displays behavior which is not socially acceptable. However, this may vary from one society to another. 3. Personal distress abnormal behavior – In this kind of abnormal behavior, the sufferer causes personal distress to himself/herself without any acknowledgement for the distress. 4. Statistically abnormal behavior – The behavior of a genius and a mentally retarded person both come under statistically abnormal behavior as they are a statistic minority.
HOW IS ABNORMAL BEHAVIOR DIAGNOSED?
Unpredicted and temperamental behaviour in individuals is what identifies abnormal behaviour.
HOW IS ABNORMAL BEHAVIOR TREATED?
Medicines can help a lot to treat abnormal behavior to a great extent. Antidepressant drugs and antipsychotic medicines, mood stabilizing pills, apart from several therapies, like behavioral, interpersonal, social, cognitive, and adopting a healthy lifestyle can also be a better way of treatment.
DID YOU KNOW?
Since the definition of normal behavior changes from society to society and class to class; classifying abnormal behavior gets difficult.
Abnormal behavior is called dysfunctional behavior. It is a disorder where people suffer from dysfunctional or abnormal characteristics. Sometimes behavior which is out of the ordinary and not typical like most of the people living in the society is also considered as an abnormal behavior. According to abnormal psychology, there is always a debate of what is considered normal or abnormal. Sometimes what is considered normal by a group of people might be considered weird and extraordinary by some other person and vice versa. Abnormal psychology is considered one of the most complex topics in the world.
Abnormal psychology is a branch of psychology which mainly deals with understanding behavior patterns, emotions, habits and thoughts which are considered extraordinary and are not easily perceived by the society. Abnormal psychology states that there are different causes for different conditions in a clinical context. Abnormal psychology is divided to subnormal, supernormal and paranormal.
What does abnormal behavior cause?
1. Anxiety- Abnormal behavior causes anxiety and also gives people severe panic attacks. This is one of the most common disorders caused by abnormal behavior. Sometimes abnormal psychology also creates anxiety in people. Anxiety usually makes people nervous and worry continuously for unnecessary things. It usually occurs without any provocation and also on a regular basis.
2. Post-traumatic stress disorder- Abnormal behavior also causes post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). In this condition, the affected person generally gets hallucinations, fear and flashbacks of old traumatic memories.
3. Schizophrenia- This is also a serious condition caused by abnormal behavior. In this condition, the person cannot think clearly and starts behaving in an antisocial way during social gatherings. They cannot make out which is real and which isn’t. It also invokes suicidal tendencies and generally causes death.
Symptoms of abnormal behavior-
1. Attention deficit disorder- This is also known as ADHD. This starts to develop when you are young. You may find your loved ones getting restless and hyperactive.
2. Autism spectrum disorder- This abnormal behavior symptom arises when you start noticing odd abnormal behavior in your loved ones. They might create awkward situations in public.
3. Asperger’s syndrome- It is a form of autism. This syndrome makes it difficult to interact or socialize with people and also hold non-verbal interaction.
Treatments for abnormal behavior:
1. Psychotherapy is the most effective treatment for abnormal psychology. It generally makes the patient know about his fears and trains him to face his/her difficulties.
2. Biomedical therapy is also useful in treating abnormal psychology. It basically uses medication to combat disorders like schizophrenia and anxiety disorders.
3. Interpersonal psychotherapy- This form of medication tries to dig up the source of the depression and trauma. The goal is mainly to get rid of depression and prevent social withdrawals.
There are a lot of things which abnormal psychology causes, but seeking proper help and therapy can help you or your loved ones combat mental disabilities due to abnormal psychology.
Lybrate offers you the best therapists and psychologists who can help you in problems re at Thane, Thoothukudi, Vadodara, Visakhapatnam, Bangalore. Subscribe to Lybrate to know more about the abnormal behaviour and abnormal psychology.
Consult top doctors for Abnormal Behavior online with ease at Lybrate.com. You can call doctor online and view their reviews. Book appointments online as well. Lybrate is best source of top doctors in 24 Parganas, 24 Parganas North, 24 Parganas South, 9 Prince Gulam Muhammad Shah Road, Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Road, Acharya Profulla Chandra Road and in any other locality in Kolkata for Abnormal Behavior.