Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Psychologists in India. You will find Psychologists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychologists online in Kolkata and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Counselling And Stress Management
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Nicotine De-Addiction Treatment
Management of Parenting Issues & Doubts
Submit a review for Dr. Shankar K NYour feedback matters!
I am 19 year old male. I want to find out that am I a extrovert or introvert. Because I do not know myself. I just want to know what type of nature I have. I searched over the net, I am confused. Like I have friends I go out with them but if I have some tv series or movies or anything interesting that I can do alone, I choose that over them. I do not like small talks because I am not good at them. But I can talk to anybody as long as there is no string attached. And its like I want to be an introvert thats why I am thinking like that. But before that also means before college I used to go out to play with friends. I have many friend now but sometimes I feel alone. I go to parties and places with friends if I have not visited that or have not tried. When I am with people its feels like I am acting because when I am with family I act different, with school friend, college friend, or anybody I meet I act like person what I wanna show. But when any two group meet like my two different friends that situation makes me panic at that time I do not know how to act. I do not know that is why I do not invite friends at my home. I spent my half a day watching movie or surfing alone. I know deep down I have to do something productive I am wasting time by doing that but reality makes me anxious. So I do not know who am i? Because to some person I am intelligent, to some I am loser, or to some I am silent, or to some a guy speaks a lot. So please clear my confusion.
I take medician for last 6 months, no improvement, for stress, angry (m, d) trichy, I like to stop, and also think change doctor, what I do, please reply,
Doctor. Im mentally So Depressed please help. Me. I.loved a Girl So Seriously. Her mrg fixed I do not Know What I can do now. I Completed Studies and Waiting for a Job.
As per medical studies, bipolar disorder is a personality disorder that is said to affect millions of people around the world, as per medical studies. Extreme mood swings that take a person from a state of euphoria to depression can be called bipolar disorder. While we all go through phases of the same, the patients who suffer from this disorder will usually show a persistent swing or shift between varying moods. The severe shifts will lead to difficulties when it comes to managing one's everyday affairs in a normal manner. The symptoms and signs are also characterised by the phases and mood swings that the patient may be going through.
Read on to know more about the signs and symptoms of bipolar disorder:
- Mania: One of the extremes in mood swings experienced by the patient includes extreme euphoria or mania for no apparent, or life altering reason. Feeling overly happy and enthusiastic are the basic symptoms of this phase.
- Impulsive: The patient can end up feeling elated for a prolonged period of time, with extreme restlessness and impulsive behaviour. They may also end up getting agitated and edgy. This is usually characterised by fidgety behaviour and when the patient speaks too fast. The patient may speak too fast due to racing thoughts which overtake his or her speech and actions.
- Confidence: In this stage, the patient may also display extraordinary confidence, which may not necessarily be backed by reality. In reality, things may be very different in terms of opportunities, skills, people and other such factors. During this mania phase, the patient may also indulge in risky behaviour that gives an adrenaline rush like gambling and having sexual intercourse with multiple partners. This usually happens when the patient is bolstered by a sudden surge of unfounded confidence.
- Depression: This is the other end of the spectrum for these patients. When the mania abates, it gives to way to extreme depression and even anxiety.
- Withdrawal: The patient usually tends to isolate himself or herself from the rest of the family and social circle for a prolonged period, refusing to meet anyone on a normal basis. They also avoid contact with people whom they meet every day, which can have an adverse effect on their work and the rest of the aspects of their lives.
- Memory and Concentration: In this phase, the patient can also experience difficulty in remembering important things and concentrating on tasks. The patient may also be preoccupied with a number of things which can prevent him or her from making proper decisions. Slow speech and lack of energy may follow as a result of such preoccupation. Preoccupation with death is a common symptom of this phase. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
Children's self esteem can be affected by maternal and paternal negativity. A british study published the journal of cross cultural psychology wanted to assess the impact of household power structures that exist within different cultures on a child's well being. And found to be child's self esteem is dependent on the behaviour of the parent who is considered to be more powerful with in the family
I am a 26 year's old boy,, doctor said -- I have a depression problem so prescribed SZETALO PLUS for better sleep and depression. Sometimes I feel dizziness, chest pain, shortest of breath, uncomfortable, unhappy, rapid heart beat, tension and lose of memory. Please tell me how can I improve my health and how can I safe from these problems,,
Unable to sleep in the night. Past 3 days I am facing this issue. I tried to sleep by 12 but I can't sleep along time. One full night I sit ideally n next day morning I slept for 2 hrs from 7 to 9. Then again the same am facing in night. I don't hv that much stress in life but why it's happening.
I couldn't control my temper since last 3 years. I am 26 years age. I consult with many doctors but no result.
I am 32 years old but still don't know how to drive the vehicle. I have tried several times but couldn't manage that. Have slipped twice that added further. With current daily travel affair vehicle is must. Is this any kind of phobia and how to come over it? Please suggest.
When I travel through crowded trains I get scared when people shout to someone as I think he is shouting me or when I hear loud noise on the street which is unexpected I even get scared when people are fighting on the street and I think I can not even fight with anyone if beaten I am even scared to stare at people ,i get scared to hold gaze with them its intimidating for me I am even afraid of dogs, rats and crackers I was afraid of even crackers in childhood I feel overwhelmed when someone shouts at me. I find it hard to shout at someone I even get stressed easily I am 23 years old right now ,i got a very bad name among my peers which is below I hate these words and it is seriously affecting my self esteem and I seriously want to become brave and do something big please help me.
1. Me and my spouse, children, my parents are living as a joint family but my spouse like to be separate from my parents. I'm an only son of my parents but she is not understanding the reality and she is not happy with my parents. What I have to do? Give me the solution.
I lost somebody close last year and since then feel very depressed and prefer keeping to my self all the time. Please help me.
I am nearing 70 yrs. Very active in all respects, attending daily office activities in a test lab. For the last two months I had four morning incidences, like loosing memory totally, may be for an hour or so. I do not suffer from any sugar or bp, only during june 2012 I had been operated for by pass.
I'm in a confused state of mind for a few weeks and there by I'm becoming anxious. I'm underweight. Is anxiety very bad for health. My weight is reduced for about 3 KGS. My BMI is 16.34.
Psychiatry is not just a form of medicine to identify and treat the psychiatric illness, but it also helps in improving attention, cognition, memory and concentration. Psychiatry has its role in different fields and working in the field of memory improvement is quite interesting. Memory is basically the process through which a person stores information for days, months and years.
Human brain is a dynamic entity and has wonderful capacity to store information and recall it as and when required. However, our memory is affected by a number of reasons, such as aging, accidents, negligence and certain diseases, which involves our brain and nervous system. Further, the memory of an event will improve, based on the frequency at which it has been recalled.
Apart from the frequency of recall, psychiatry can also help a person to improve the capacity of brain and sharpen their memory to store incidents or events for a prolonged period of time.
How along with psychiatric therapy you can improve your memory
- Improving your concentration while doing any work will naturally improve your memory. Doing things with concentration will help us in storing information for a longer period of time.
- Relieving your mind from stress or anxiety is also a great way to improve your memory as stress has the ability to hamper your memory.
- Eating a balanced and nutritious diet is essential for a better memory. For increasing the memory power, psychiatrists insist on a diet which is anti inflammatory, rich in protein and Omega-3 fatty acids.
- A simple 20 minute exercise routine will not just help you to stay fit physically, but mentally as well.
- It also important to sleep properly, as sleep helps your mind and body to prepare for the next day. It is also advised to have a short nap in the afternoon to improve your brain functioning during the day time.
- Smoking and frequent consumption of caffeine also hampers your memory, thus, it is advised that one should quit smoking and reduce the consumption of caffeine. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a specilized psychiatrist and ask a free question.