Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Kolkata and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Reduced Vision Treatment
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Treatment of Squint
Visual Field Testing
Age-Related Macular Degeneration Treatment
Diabetic Retinopathy Lasers
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Laser Refractive Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. Alok MukherjeeYour feedback matters!
My eyes are getting red day by day please tell any solution for this. My eyes Pain Many times. I tried many eye drops but none worked.
I have water coming grom my eyes. Red eyes in morning please help anf give guidamv8e to me. What is tbe problem?
My eyes are getting tears automatically when ever I took my specs of and some time with specs I'm getting tears what should I do?
I have eye problem. I can't see anything without my eyewear. Can I replace it with eye lenses? What will be its cost? Please concern.
I have red eyes from last few days and a little headache I took some medicine but no effect what should I do.
I have eye itching since 1 year. How to prevent this. And also I have dandruff since 1 yr. please send me some effective ayurvedic tips.
Hi all, Some times when I feel tired I am getting black mark in centre of my visual am seeing, after getting release from this visual problem I will get heavy head ache fr 1 or 2 hours, from the visual block and head ache release it ill take around 3 house. I went for eye check up they said my eyes are good. But even now am facing this problem once or twice in month.
Iam 22 years old and I have short sight I didn't want to wear spectacles. Can I go for laser treatment and it has any side effects? Please tell me.
My wife is to undergo cataract operation. She is advised to stop taking CLOPITAB A75. Is it ok. She does not have any major heart problem. She had pulmonary Edima about 6 years back. Since then she is taking CLOPITAB
While red bloodshot eyes may look worrisome at first sight, it is not a cause of concern all the time. There are benign, short-lasting bouts that will disappear on their own to serious medical reasons that could require intervention.
Listed below are some common causes and ways to manage red eyes.
- Conjunctivitis: The most common cause of red or pink eye is a conjunctivitis infection of the membrane covering the sclera. The blood vessels are irritated and give the eye a red hue. This is contagious and very common in children, needs to be treated with antibiotic drops based on the cause.
- Allergy: Be it pollen, dust, dander, or some other chemicals, eyes could be sensitive to it and get inflamed and take on a red color. This can be treated with a combination of prevention by avoiding exposure to the allergen (which causes the allergy) and some antihistamine drops if required.
- Contact lenses: Extended or improper use of contact lenses is the main reason for red eyes in contact lens users. There is reduced lubrication, increased accumulation of dust and microbes if the lens is not removed at frequent intervals. Removal of the lens and visits to the doctor are important things for managing it.
- Computer Vision Syndrome: With people spending a large amount of time staring at computer screens, tablets and phone screens, the dryness in the eyes increase, thereby, leading to red eyes. The reduced blinking when working on computers also affects the condition. It is therefore very important to take conscious breaks to stare away from the monitors and use special glasses if required. In some cases, eye drops may also be required.
- Occupational Hazard: For people working outdoors, conditions such as dust, heat, smoke, and dry air increase the chances of red eyes. Reducing exposure as much as possible and use of protective eyewear is extremely essential.
- Dry Eye Syndrome: The tear glands are a constant source of lubrication for the eyes and also cleanse the eyes from the minute dust particles and other irritants. For various reasons, the tears produced may not be sufficient and can lead to red eyes. Artificial tear substitute could be used for managing this.
Some benign reasons like swimming, smoking, lack of sleep, pregnancy, common cold also produce bloodshot eyes. On the other hand, corneal ulcer, uveitis, ocular herpes, glaucoma, and other medical conditions could also lead to red eyes.
If it persists for more than 2 days, is painful, and is associated with discharge or sensitivity to light, it is important to seek medical help, especially if associated with injury or trauma.
Related Tip: "Natural Remedies For Better Eyesight"