Patient Review Highlights
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Satabdi Dey to be very helpful. Thnks for the reply.
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Rajeev Agarwal to be very helpful. thank you sir.
Pregnancy is a stage which needs to be cautiously enjoyed by all expectant mothers. The word ‘cautiously’ is used and stressed upon by medical practitioners because it is a period where two lives are at stake i.e the mother’s and the baby’s. Both their health and nutrition are of the utmost importance during this stage. In the third trimester, which includes the seventh, eighth and ninth month, when the delivery date is knocking on your doorstep, you should be more cautious than ever.
Some of the precautions to be taken during these months are listed below.
- By this time, the essential features of the baby, such as hands and legs are fully developed. In fact, the baby might just start moving and should be given some space. Thus, expectant women must be watchful of the weight they carry. At no cost must their spine be injured or hurt. This can be disastrous for both the mother and the baby.
- It is best to avoid stairs, if possible and certainly use the elevator for higher floors. In case you have to take the stairs, then holding the railings would give you the support you need. For physical exercises, you can go for a walk or just practice simple breathing exercises to keep you active.
- Extra sleep is required during this month; and that too on the left side. Sleeping on the right side should be avoided. This helps in smooth blood circulation.
- This month is crucial for the baby as it is nearing delivery. As an expectant mother you should be able to understand the signs your body gives you. It is best to avoid heavy weight lifting and too much of work. You should drink lots of water and keep yourself hydrated all the time.
- Avoid dust, animal excretes and stale food is important as it might hinder the brain development of the unborn child.
- Overeating should be avoided.
- You must take a break from household chores.
- Exercises must be continued under supervision.
- Fish must be avoided as at times they contain mercury which is not good for the unborn baby.
- Travelling is a strict no-no during this month.
- You must decide on the process of the delivery—natural or C-section beforehand.
- Going for regular check-ups is mandatory.
These are some of the precautions which must be taken during the last three months of your pregnancy. It would ensure the good health and well-being of your baby as well as your own.
Is ANC Profile different than T3-T4-TSH or thyroid is part of ANC? What is the cost of this test. What is ANC stands for.
Me and my husband planning for baby. Before my ovulation day we tried 4 continuous days. Aftr 3 days only I feel like vomiting. Is this sign of pregnancy. Also we would like to know is there any harm in this bcoz we tried 4 days continuously before my ovulation day. Does it affects sperm count.
The concept of egg quality of a woman is derived from the belief that the embryo implantation probability is powerfully related to the age and ovarian reserve of the woman. Thus, it is regarded that the quality of the egg is almost synonymous with the chances of embryo implantation. Its quality cannot be assessed merely by looking at the egg or measuring its ability to receive the fertilization by sperm or simply observing the initial embryo division.
There are a few important factors that contribute to the success or failure of the embryo implantation and some of them are:
- Diminished ovarian reserve: A woman with an increased FSH level on the third day of the menses is regarded as having diminished reserve of ovary. This implies that her ovary is not competent in sending feedback signals to the pituitary gland and the body responds by producing an increased amount of FSH for stimulating the ovary. For more than 10 years, it has been found that in over thousands of fertility treatment cycles, women with an increased FSH level have a lower egg quality.
- Advanced age of maternity: Even though the FSH level is normal, the age of the mother who provides the eggs plays an important role to determine the quality of the egg. Quite like women with increased FSH levels, eggs obtained from women aged more than 40 years can have some problems at a later stage of fertilization. Normal FSH levels are not considered a reassuring factor, owing to the lower implantation rate in females aged over 45 years.
- Diminished quality of egg: With an increase in age, the capacity of the mitochondria in producing energy slowly decreases. The egg is linked to the circulation before ovulation, and it is linked again after the embryo implantation. But during the one week time ranging from ovulation to implantation, the egg and the resulting embryo are contained in the zona pellucida and function on the basis of mitochondrial energy supply. The older age of the woman doesn’t cause any problem at the initial stage of ovulation. Its fertilization and embryonic development are also normal. But soon, it runs out of energy and stops dividing before reaching the stage of implantation.
Therefore, it is important to have the eggs tested to find out any sort of chromosomal abnormality. In case the mother is deficient of producing high quality eggs, the best option is to have donor eggs. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.
In vitro Fertilization or IVF is the procedure of fertilization by physically joining an egg and sperm in a dish, followed by insertion of the embryo into the uterus. However, some other, less notable techniques may offer better benefits, practical usage and serve as alternative options to IVF. These are as follows:
- GIFT - Gamete intrafallopiantransfer:
- Gamete intrafallopiantransfer (GIFT) is analogous to IVF, from numerous aspects. However, there is one extremely remarkable distinction.
- Unlike IVF, a woman undertaking GIFT takes fertility medications to stimulate egg generation in her ovaries. The eggs are then expelled from her body.
- Male sperm is gathered and washed to isolate the regenerative cells from other original liquids.
- The consolidated material is set in a catheter and afterward, by means of laparoscopy, infused into the woman’s fallopian tubes.
- There, ideally, preparation will happen.
- A few couples lean toward this technique for individual or religious reasons, as it permits birth to happen in its regular habitat, instead of a lab.
- ZIFT and TET:
- These abbreviations stand for Zygote intrafallopiantransfer and tubal developing life transfer.
- In ZIFT and TET, the starting stages are like GIFT: a woman experiences controlled ovarian hyper stimulation with the guide of effective medications so as to deliver different eggs. These are then expelled from her body, male sperm is gathered, washed, and treated for ideal fusion.
- In any case, in ZIFT and TET, the laparoscopic move into the fallopian tubes happens only after treatment has occurred in the research center.
- In ZIFT, eggs are recovered and prepared on one day, and the next day the embryo is exchanged. TET gives the fetus a couple of more formative days before it is moved to the fallopian tubes.
- IUI - Intrauterine insemination
- In intrauterine insemination (IUI), a type of manual sperm injection, comprising washed sperm, is infused straight into a woman’s uterus (when she is expected to ovulate) by means of a catheter that is embedded completely through the cervix.
- By setting the sperm inside the uterus (instead of the sperm making its way up the vaginal channel and through the cervix into the uterus), it is trusted that it will be simpler for the sperm to reach and infuse a discharged egg.
- Additionally, if the woman is delivering cervical mucous that is synthetically not suitable for her partner’s sperm, this potential issue can be avoided, since IUI sidesteps the cervix.
- Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI)
- This procedure includes "washing" sperm and infusing the uniquely arranged sperm into the egg.
- The procedure requires a unique magnifying instrument and glass needles for the infusion of one sperm, specifically under the defensive external layer and into the focal point of the egg itself, before being set inside the woman’s body.
I was on yasmin on and off for pcod problem. I have stooped yasmin no period for this month. Please help can I take meprate 10 mg 3 times 3 days? Or one time a day.
I have a low AMH count of 0.4. All other blood tests are normal. We have not consciously tried to conceive but referred to a going for normal consultation. Even without trying any medication we have been advised to start IVF treatment immediately. I need to understand if that is really the only way or can we take medication and still try naturally. My age is 32.
Are you an expectant mother? The feeling of expecting a child is unexplainable. It can only be experienced and enjoyed. Along with being pregnant, at times, a woman suffers from severe boredom and mood swings. During such time, it is always best to be involved in some activity or the other without stressing yourself too much or undertaking any heavy work.
In the modern tech era, gadgets are what keep a person going apart from food, water and shelter. Thus, this article explores 9 must-have gadgets for expectant mothers.
- Gravida Nurse Prenatal Educational Device: This small yet handy device provides you with all the informational articles that you need to know about your pregnancy and also baby care. It’s a complete educational device for the expectant mothers (and fathers).
- Pregnancy belly phones: Have you heard about headphones, but are not sure what belly phones are? Well they are headphones for your babies? When inside the mother’s womb, music and soft voices seem to soothe the baby and belly phones are used for this purpose. They can be attached to an iPod or any music system to play nice and warm music for the baby.
- Beforme MP3 stethoscope: This device lets you record the baby’s heartbeat and even presents it on the screen as a graph.
- Kicktrack: This device helps you to monitor your baby’s kicking movement inside the womb.
- Ultrasound scanner: This scanner is a small portable version of your own ultrasound machine, enabling you to see your baby as and when you wish.
- Pregnancy watch: This is just a simple watch coupling up as a pregnancy device. It lets you know the week of your pregnancy and also suggests cute baby names for your little bundle of joy.
- Biobands: For expectant mothers experiencing nausea and morning sickness, this little band can do you a lot of good every morning.
- Bellabeat leaf: This is a device which helps you monitor the correct amount of food for yourself and the child. It helps you to get the right nutrition needed for the baby and the mother.
- QardioBase: This is one of the best gadgets to keep a track of your weight during your pregnancy.
Thus, these are some of the handiest gadgets that you need to keep beside you during your pregnancy. Apart from a little bit of monitoring of your and the baby’s health, all you need to do is relax and enjoy this beautiful feeling. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.
Ovarian cysts are a common development in many women. Cysts are sacs filled with fluid which are formed in the female ovaries. Most cysts are harmless and do not even show any symptoms. However, some cysts do show outward symptoms like heavy bleeding, clotting, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain during the menstrual cycle, and pain during sex.
If you feel any of the above-mentioned discomforts, it will be in your best interest to consult a gynaecologist and get a check-up done. Most cysts are manageable unless they are very severe. In fact, it is best that cysts come to light at the right time and are efficiently managed, unless they develop into severe issues in the future.
Management of cysts
- Oftentimes, medical practitioners resort to what is called ‘watchful waiting’.
- At times, ovarian cysts disappear in a few months.
- It is recommended to take a blood test and an ultrasound to see the progress of the cyst.
- If you have already experienced menopause, then these tests are carried out every four months. This is because in such cases the risk of an ovarian cancer is at its highest and regular monitoring of the cyst is necessary.
Treatment of cysts
Ovarian cysts can be treated in their earlier stages. Here are some of the most popular treatments.
- Laparoscopy is one of the most popular treatments. It is a surgery carried out under general anaesthesia. The tummy is cut to a radius of a key hole and a laparoscope is inserted. This helps the doctor to see the internal organs, which is then used to remove the cyst. This method is less painful and has a quick recovery time.
- Laparotomy is the other method used for removing a cyst. In case the cyst is large, then one single large hole is made in the body to access the cyst. At times, the cyst and the ovaries are removed and sent for further laboratory inspection. This inspection is done to detect whether the samples are cancerous or not. This procedure is more complex than the previous one and might need the patient to stay in the hospital for a few days.
- In case you have a cancerous cyst, then your reproductive part itself would have to be removed rendering you barren for your life.
Ovarian cyst is very much treatable and is best to be detected at an earlier stage for better and faster treatment. Thus, it is best to go for regular check-ups and report in case of any disturbing symptoms.
Hello, We are trying to conceive for baby from past 2 months. While having sex my wife is feeling some pain during the intercourse as she is unable to get the natural lube produced soon. Latter though she gets it produced. But for initiation can we use some oil like Olive oil? Is it safe for sperm mobility and mortality. Any other natural lube that we can use during inter course which can increase the probability of conception.
Pelvic pain is most common in women, though sometimes it occurs in men as well. There is absolutely no reason why pelvic pain cannot be treated and therefore women need not panic if they are experiencing such pain. The treatment of any pain can be done methodically after discovering its cause. Thus, before jotting down the treatments for pelvic pain, it is important to explore the reasons that cause pelvic pain in women.
Reasons for pelvic pain
- Reproductive organs in women play an important part in causing pelvic pain. The reproductive organ is complex when it comes to women and many small or big problems there might end up leading to pelvic pain.
- Any urinary infection or bladder irritation might also lead to pelvic pain.
- The nerves and muscles of the abdomen may cause pain in the pelvis area as well. In fact, the nerves and muscles are very tender near the pelvis area and care should be taken so that one does not strain them or pull the ligaments. This can cause severe pain.
- Another interesting point to be noted is that sometimes even after going through a lot of examinations, no causes of pelvic pain are found. In such cases it is understood that the pelvic pain is a manifestation of the remains of a long forgotten injury or accident.
- It has been examined and found out that physical abuse can at times lead to chronic pelvic pain. Though this link has not yet been understood properly, but it is seen to be true.
Treatments for pelvic pain
- The most basic treatment is to apply heating pad on the affected area. Heat helps in relaxing the muscles and nerves thereby, lessening the pain. However, this would reduce the pain, but cannot make it disappear in a day. Thus, it is a continued process for a week or 10 days till the pain recedes.
- Relaxation techniques like meditation, breathing exercises, yoga and even muscle exercises like jogging help in reducing the pain. However, this should be done under guidance. One wrong move can actually aggravate the pain instead of lessening it.
- Then there are painkillers which are non-steroidal and help in lessening the pain. Painkillers have a correct dosage and must be taken only after consulting a doctor. Self-medication in such cases can prove disastrous.
- At times, when all medications fail, surgery is the last resort.
Thus, these are some of the treatments that can be undertaken if and when you are experiencing pelvic pain. All these are connected to the root cause and must be followed only under medical supervision.