Joint pain refers to discomfort, aches, and soreness in any of the body’s joints. Joint pain is a common complaint. Many different conditions can lead to painful joints, including osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, bursitis, gout, strains, sprains, and other injuries. Symptoms and signs associated with joint pain can include:
• joint redness,
• joint swelling,
• joint tenderness,
• joint warmth,
• locking of the joint,
• loss of range of motion of the joint,
HOW IS JOINT PAIN DIAGNOSED?
Diagnosis of joint pain is based on physical examination and evaluation of your symptoms. Orthopedicians may check for recent injuries and other medical conditions that may cause joint pain. An X-ray or CT-scan of the joint reveals any breakage of tendons or ligaments connecting the joint.
HOW IS JOINT PAIN TREATED?
Treatment is with the goal to make the everyday activities as much feasible as possible. Medications and therapies are suggested to manage the pain. Physical therapy tends to help.
DID YOU KNOW?
Joint pain is very common with about 1/3rdof the adults reporting to have experienced it regularly. Knee pain is the most common joint pain followed by shoulder pain and hip pain.
Joint pain or arthritis is a condition of the inflammation of the joints which affects men more than women. Though there are many types of arthritis, osteoarthritis and psoriatic arthritis are the most common. Joint pain is the main symptom of arthritis, however the other signs and symptoms of arthritis are as follows:
Reduction in the amount of the protective tissue, cartilage is the main cause of arthritis.
Osteoarthritis- mostly affecting the hands, hips, knees and spine, osteoarthritis can damage any joint in your body. The symptoms cannot be completely cured but it can be decreased and temporary relief is possible. Maintaining healthy weight, exercising regularly and some other treatments can be helpful in treating osteoarthritis. Extreme pain, lack of flexibility, stiffness, tenderness and a grating sensation are some of the symptoms of osteoarthritis. Age, extra body weight, any kind of joint injury, repetitive stress on joints and genetics play a role in increasing the risk of developing osteoarthritis. A replacement surgery is recommended if the pain becomes unbearable. Imaging tests and laboratory tests can help detect if you are suffering from osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis treatment includes the following:
Certain medications can help to reduce the signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis. They include:
• Acetaminophen- this medicine can be recommended if you are suffering from mild to severe pain. However taking in more than the prescribed dosage can cause serious liver damage.
• Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs- over the counter NSAIDs help in relieving osteoarthritis symptoms.
• Duloxetine- an antidepressant, duloxetine can be prescribed to people suffering from extreme pain
Therapies can also prove to be useful such as:
• Physical therapy- this strengthens the muscle around the joints, increase motion and reduce pain.
• Occupational therapy- this helps to reduce pressure on affected areas by providing an effective solution
• Tai chi and yoga- these are movement therapies which includes gentle stretches and exercises with deep breathing. This therapy is also used to reduce stress.
Surgical and other procedures:
• Cortisone injections can help in relieving the joint pain
• Lubrication injections like hyaluronic acid injections helps to give relief by providing cushioning to the knees
• Realigning bones- osteotomy is helpful if only one side of your knee is affected
• Joint replacement- in joint replacement surgery, the surgeon removes the damaged joint portion and replaces them with metal and plastic parts
Psoriatic arthritis affects people having psoriasis. Stiffness, swelling and joint pains are some of the symptoms of psoriatic arthritis. This type of arthritis can affect any part of your body, including the fingertips and can be mild or severe. Physical trauma and certain environmental factors trigger psoriatic arthritis.
Above are the top doctors for join pain in Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Delhi, Faridabad and Ghaziabad.
You can consult doctors online for Joint Pain from anywhere, anytime at Lybrate. View consultation fee, reviews and patient feedback before consulting. Find best doctors in Adimali, Airport Road, Akkulam, Alangad, Alinchuvadu, Alleppey and in any other locality in Kochi.
You can see above a list of top doctors in Medavakkam, Kochi for Joint Pain. Ask a question for free at Lybrate today and receive answers from best doctors.