Patient reviews for Doctors for Cirrhosis in Poovattuparamba, Kochi
Lybrate User's review for Dr. Kamalesh Np
Nice doctor he was brief and was full of knowledge he knew what he was doing Read more reviews
Cirrhosis of the liver is a slow progressing disease in which the healthy tissue in the liver is replaced by scar tissue, causing liver failure. Common causes of Cirrhosis are hepatitis C, fatty liver and alcohol abuse. Symptoms are:
• Loss of appetite
• Sudden weight loss
• Blood in stools
• Itchy skin
• Brownish or orangish urine
• Confusion and disorientation
HOW IS CIRRHOSIS DIAGNOSED?
The health care practitioner may recommend laboratory tests which include:
• Liver function.
• Kidney function.
• Tests for hepatitis B and C
• Magnetic resonance elastography or transient elastography.
• Other imaging tests. MRI, CT scan and ultrasound create images of the liver.
HOW IS CIRRHOSIS TREATED?
Treatment for cirrhosis varies based on the cause and severity of the problem. The treatments which the doctor might prescribe include:
• Beta blockers or nitrates (for portal hypertension)
• Quitting drinking (if the cirrhosis is caused by alcohol)
• Banding procedures (used to control bleeding from oesophagal varices)
• Intravenous antibiotics (to treat peritonitis that can occur with ascites)
• Haemodialysis (to purify the blood of those in kidney failure)
• Lactulose and a low protein diet (to treat encephalopathy)
DID YOU KNOW?
Kidney failure is a common complication of cirrhosis.