Breast lumps are growths in the breasts caused by infections, injuries, non-cancerous or cancerous cells. The chances that a breast lump may be cancerous depend on a lot of factors. Common symptoms of breast lumps are:
• Abnormal growth in the breast
• Either painless or painful
• Pus filled in some cases
• Reddishness lumps caused by specific infections
• Fixed or movable lumps
• Nipple discharge in some cases
HOW IS BREAST LUMPS DIAGNOSED?
The various tests involved for diagnosing breast lumps are ultrasound, biopsy, ultrasound, mammography and a thorough physical examination by a gynecologist.
HOW IS BREAST LUMPS TREATED?
Treatment of breast lumps depends on the type of lump. For lumps due to breast infections, heat treatment and antibiotics may help. In case of abscesses, they need to be drained out by a gynecologist. Cancerous breast lumps require immediate treatment through surgery followed by chemotherapy and radiation therapy
DID YOU KNOW?
Around 90% of breast, lumps are benign.
Breast lumps, once you hear that word, you will have a slight fear. The fear is because of the word cancer. But all breast lumps need not be cancerous. There are various types of breast lumps that develop in women.
• Fibroadenoma is a painful lumps in breast that occurs in women aged below 30 years. The lump moves around the breast easily.
• Fibroadenosis is a condition when there are breast cysts. This type of condition is accompanied by breast pain, increase in breast size and lumpiness during menstruation.
• Fibrocystic Breast when there are fluid filled lumps in breasts or cysts that commonly noticed in women between the age of 30 and 60.
• When there is a painful collection of pus under the breast skin, then it is called breast abscess.
• Mastitis is a condition when the breast becomes inflamed and painful.
• Fat necrosis happens after trauma or surgery and the breasts have hard irregular lumps.
• Fat deposits cause lipoma which look like breast lumps.
• When milk ducts develop wart like growths then it is called intra ductal papilloma.
There are some common myths associated with breast lumps. Women need to be aware and bust these myths about breast lumps.
Many women are of the opinion that breast lumps are always cancerous. But you should be aware that many a time younger women develop breast lumps that come and go with the menstrual cycles. Some women have a lot of tissue in the breast and hence they look like lumps. They cannot be considered as breast lumps, as it is a biological nature to have a lot of breast mass.
Women of any age can develop breast lumps, even breastfeeding mothers can develop breast lumps. They need to be thoroughly checked by the general practitioner or gynaecologist to understand the nature of the lumps. Some women feel that they cannot develop breast cancer if they do not have a close family member with breast cancer. This is very untrue, as women with no family history of breast cancer may also develop breast lumps and breast cancer.
Breast lumps become a serious medical condition only if they develop into breast cancer. Breast lumps which are well defined and remain firm, even after the menstruation and do not move around are signs of breast cancer. These symptoms can be accompanied by nipple discharge, dimpling of skin on the breasts, and change in the appearance of nipples. All these symptoms should be taken seriously and medical intervention is surely required. Women above the age of 50 should be aware of all the changes in their breasts and do a regular mammogram to look for any breast cancer symptoms.
Awareness is the first step towards identification of breast cancer. Any women old or young should be aware of all the types of breast lumps and cancers. They should do a regular self check of their breasts and if they notice any irregular growth, lumps or even discharge, they should contact their gynaecologist.
If you are not aware of any gynaecologist in your city, then Lybrate is here to help you. You can check the list of gynaecologists in your city who can treat breast lumps and breast cancer. Feel free to get expert medical advice from experts in their field and stop any lump from developing into cancer. Lybrate offers you to consult the top doctors in Jalandhar, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Mohali, Nagpur etc.
Top are results of best doctors for Breast lumps in Trivandrum. You may see the doctor reviews by their patients and their peers and choose the best doctor. You can even post a free question on Lybrate.