Best doctor.. very helpful caring doctor to give you the right medicine and will heal from a limited period. Read more reviews
Blood cancer is a medical condition that affects the production and function of your blood cells. This cancer originates in the bone marrow, where blood is produced. Three types of blood cancer are leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma. Symptoms depend on the type of blood cancer one may have, common symptoms are:
• Shortness of breath
• Swollen lymphatic node (for lymphoma)
• Severe back pain (for myeloma)
• Chest pain and numbness (for myeloma)
HOW IS BLOOD CANCER DIAGNOSED?
An oncologist diagnoses leukaemia by the following:
1. Medical history and a physical exam
2. Laboratory tests of the blood sample
3. Bone marrow biopsy
4. Chest X Ray
5. Lumbar puncture to remove a sample of cerebrospinal fluid to determine leukaemia cells.
6. MRI and CT scan
HOW IS BLOOD CANCER TREATED?
The oncologist will usually recommend treatment based on the stage of the disease. A bone marrow transplant may be recommended in certain cases along with blood transfusion and chemotherapy or radiation for advanced stage patients.
DID YOU KNOW?
There are 137 types of blood cancer and related disorders.
The function or production of blood cells is affected by blood cancer. They generally occur in the bone marrow where your blood is produced. It’s basically a blood forming tissue which can affect your body’s ability to fight the infection and hence a life threatening condition which can harm you very badly. It’s a very rare disease and requires proper medical diagnosis with frequent lab tests and imaging. The multiplying cancerous cells in the body can affect multiple aspects within your circulatory system.
There are three types of blood cancer and those are:
1. Leukemia- Leukemia is a cancer that forms in your bone marrow cells. The cell will go through a change process and will become a type of leukemia cell and continue to grow and survive like a normal cell. These leukemia cells will stop and suppress the growth of a normal cell resulting in replacement of normal blood with the leukemia cells. It is a life threatening condition and will require regular diagnosis and laboratory tests. You can lead a normal life with leukemia if you take proper diagnosis. Chronic lymphocytic leukemia is a common type of leukemia and is generally found in adults. Chronic lymphocytic leukemia has many effective treatment options available with the progress of technology.
2. Lymphoma- It is the formation of cancer tissue at the lymphocytes. The lymphocytes are a type of white blood corpuscles. The two main types of lymphoma are Hodgkin lymphoma and non Hodgkin lymphoma.
3. Myeloma- In this type of blood cancer the plasma is affected by the formation of cancer. The plasma is another type of white blood corpuscles. Myeloma has several types of formations mainly the Multiple myeloma, Plasmacytoma, Localized myeloma and lastly the Extramedullary myeloma.
The symptoms of blood cancer include the following:
1. Discomfort in your abdomen part.
2. Headaches and shortness of breath.
3. Swollen lymph nodes particularly in arms, the neck and groin.
4. Skin rashes and also itchy skin.
5. Loss of appetite and frequent weight loss.
6. Infections that keep occurring frequently.
The following are the various procedures to treat blood cancer:
1. Chemotherapy- This treatment involves the use of anticancer drugs and works to halt the growing cancer cells in the body. It is generally prescribed and performed before stem cell transplant. This method of treatment is popular in the treatment of cancer and requires regular diagnosis of the progress of treatment.
2. Radiation Therapy – This treatment is developed to destroy the cancer cells in the body. This treatment reduces the discomfort and pain.
3. Stem cell transplantation- The healthy blood forming cells are infused into your body which are collected from bone marrow, umbilical cord blood and circulating blood in your body.
Lybrate offers you the best chance to seek professional advices about blood cancer. Lybrate has the best medical practitioners and oncologists in Patna, Rajkot, Surat, Thane, Thoothukudi. Subscribe to Lybrate to know more leukemia and its treatment.
Top are results of best doctors for Blood Cancer in Ernakulam. You may see the doctor reviews by their patients and their peers and choose the best doctor. You can even post a free question on Lybrate.