Doctors for TMJ Disorders in Old Thevara Road, Kochi
ratings and reviews)
The Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) is the joint that connects the mandible (lower jaw) to the skull. The joint can be found on both sides of the head in front of the ears, and it allows your jaw to open and close, enabling you to speak and eat. TMJ Disorders is also used to refer to a group of health problems related to the jaw and these disorders can cause tenderness at the joint, facial pain, and difficulty moving the joint.
HOW IS TMJ DISORDERS DIAGNOSED?
A Dentist/ENT specialist diagnoses TMJ Disorders by performing a complete dental examination, X-rays of the jaw, CT scan of the jaw and MRI of the jaw to examine the structure of the jaw.
HOW IS TMJ DISORDERS TREATED?
The various treatments may include the following:
• Dental splint (occlusal splint or stabilization splint or bite guard), which is a dental appliance placed in the mouth that keeps the teeth in alignment and prevents tooth grinding.
• Botox may be used to relax the muscles of the jaw.
• Physical therapy with jaw exercises can strengthen muscles, improve flexibility, and range of motion.
• Biobehavioral management (biofeedback, cognitive behavioral therapy [CBT]) may help diminish pain intensity.
• Trigger point acupuncture can sometimes be helpful.
• In severe cases, surgery on the jaw or dental surgery may be necessary.
DID YOU KNOW?
The outlook for a TMJ Disorder depends on the cause of the problem.