Different parts of eyes such as cornea, retina, pupil, lens, iris when affected gives rise to various Eye Diseases. Some of the common disorders include glaucoma, cataract, age related macular degeneration, color blindness, retinal detachment, twitching, stye, blepharitis, corneal ulcers, conjunctivitis, uveitis, etc. There are many eye disorders which initially show no symptom in particular. Though there are cases where symptoms such as redness, swelling of eyelids, abnormal discharge, blurred vision, pain in eyeball, itchiness and light sensitivity are quite common.
HOW IS EYES DISEASES DIAGNOSED?
Diagnosis of the problem is a vital factor here. An underlying dilated eye exam is conducted to check the eyes. Along with this, your eye power, vision and clarity are tested too.
HOW IS EYES DISEASES TREATED?
However, Eye Diseases do not always have symptoms and early detection and treatment can prevent any severe damage to the eye. An Ophthalmologist normally treats the eye by prescribing eye drops and light dose of medication. In a severe case of Eye Disease, the doctor might surgically treat the eye.
DID YOU KNOW?
In many cases eye diseases can be harmful and may cause permanent damage eg blindness and loss of vision. Getting the appropriate treatment is highly important to avoid any further complications.
Eye diseases are generally referred to as the diseases that mainly occurs in the cornea region of the eye. Almost all of the eye disorders come with very few prior symptoms. The eye disorders do not cause any pain in the initial stages and impairment in the vision is noticed after the significant development of the disease. You should check-up with your ophthalmologist on a regular basis to avoid any eye related complications in the future.
Some of the most common eye diseases are as follows:
1. Dry Eye 2. Macular Degeneration 3. Cataracts and 4. Glaucoma.
1. Dry Eye: Dry eye syndrome occurs when the sufficient tears necessary for providing nourishment to the eye and maintenance of health ceases production causing irritation and itchiness. Dry eye causes hazy vision and abnormal enlargement of the eye coupled with a bit of light sensitivity. The other symptoms of dry eyes include sudden redness of the eye along with a persistent burning sensation. The risk of getting dry eye increases as you get old and a prescribed dosage of eye drops might reduce the dryness, although it cannot be completely cured.
2. Age-Related Macular Degeneration: Macular Degeneration is an extremely painful and difficult condition which is caused when the condition of one of the central part of the retinal regions called macula, worsens significantly over time. If not treated in time, macular degeneration might lead to permanent loss of vision. Macular degeneration gives rise to problems in concentration and hazy visions and is common in people over the age group of 60.
3. Cataracts: The clouding of an individual’s natural lens lying in the posterior of the iris and the pupil is called cataract. Undiagnosed cases during the appearance of the primary symptoms cause permanent loss of vision and generally affects common in people above the age of 40. Cataracts can be of three different types:
i. Subcapsular cataract.
ii. Nuclear cataract and,
iii. Cortical cataract.
Common symptoms of cataracts include a haziness in regular vision. Depending on the type of cataract, the regular colours can appear to be immensely dull or bright. The symptoms can change considerably as per the cataract nature. If you are suffering from nuclear cataract, there will be a temporary improvement in your vision which is referred to as the second sight. The condition will get significantly worse as the cataract develops. In the case of subcapsular cataract, the symptoms don't appear until the cataract gets fully developed.
4. Glaucoma: A condition which causes damage to the optic nerve of the eye and gets worse over passing time, mostly due to an increase in eye pressure, is known as Glaucoma. If the eye pressure increases, that might lead to permanent blindness.
Glaucoma treatment is essential since negligence of the condition might cause total blindness in a duration of few years. There are 2 types of glaucoma that can occur in the eye. They are:
a. Open-angle glaucoma: This form of glaucoma is also referred to as wide-angle glaucoma. Although the structures appear to be normal, the eye fluid is unable to pass through the drain of the eye, causing a blockage.
b. Angle-closure glaucoma: This condition is also referred to as acute angle closure glaucoma or narrow-angle glaucoma. This type of glaucoma is chronic in nature and the angle formed in between the cornea and the iris causes the subsequent blockage. This leads to a rapid increase of the eye pressure.
The most important glaucoma symptoms are red eyes, vomiting, nausea and damage in vision. The most used forms of Glaucoma treatment are laser surgery, trabeculectomy and eye drops.
There is a probability that you or someone in your family or acquaintance is suffering from one of the aforementioned eye diseases. Lybrate offers you the best ophthalmologists for treatments of the eye diseases in Thane, Thoothukudi, Vadodara, Visakhapatnam, Bangalore. Subscribe to Lybrate to know more about causes and treatment of various eye diseases.
Top are results of best doctors for Eyes Diseases in Ernakulam. You may see the doctor reviews by their patients and their peers and choose the best doctor. You can even post a free question on Lybrate.