Doctors for Strongyloidiasis in Nathanallur, Kanchipuram
ratings and reviews)
Strongyloidiasis is infection by a roundworm, or nematode, called Strongyloides stercoralis. It differs from other parasitic nematode infections, e.g. filariasis, in both its clinical characteristics and its complex life cycle. In most cases, strongyloidiasis causes no symptoms. If symptoms are present, they may include:
• upper abdominal pain or burning
• diarrhea or alternating diarrhea and constipation
• a cough
• a rash
• red hives near the anus
• weight loss
HOW IS STRONGYLOIDIASIS DIAGNOSED?
The following tests may be done:
• Blood antigen test for S. stercoralis
• Complete blood count with differential
• Total eosinophil count in the blood (eosinophils are a type of white blood cell)
• Duodenal aspiration (removing a small amount of tissue from the first part of the small intestine) to check for S. stercoralis
• Sputum culture to check for S. stercoralis
• Stool sample exam to check for S. stercoralis
HOW IS STRONGYLOIDIASIS TREATED?
The only available treatment for this disease remains to be Ivermectin that helps to kill the adult parasites. However, this is not effective on the larvae or the eggs of the parasite. As a result, this tends to remain a potentially lifelong condition that needs constant monitoring and attention.
DID YOU KNOW?
With proper medical treatment, the prognosis for Strongyloidiasis is very good.