Headache is defined as a pain arising from the head or upper neck of the body. The pain originates from the tissues and structures that surround the skull or the brain because the brain itself has no nerves that give rise to the sensation of pain. The pain may be a dull ache, sharp, throbbing, constant, intermittent, mild or intense.
HOW IS HEADACHES DIAGNOSED?
A general physician would carry out a complete physical and neurological examination of the patient to look for any signs of illness that could be causing the headaches. A complete history of the problem would be noted in order to treat it correctly. CT scans, MRI scans and eye exams could be recommended.
HOW IS HEADACHES TREATED?
Headaches can usually be treated with pain relievers. Patients with migraine headaches might also be prescribed anti-nausea medications. Inhalation or clearing of the sinus could provide relief from sinus headaches.
DID YOU KNOW?
Headaches associated with stiff neck or weakness or change in vision or fever or prolonged headaches require immediate medical attention.
A headache results in pain and discomfort primarily in the temples and the head. Sometimes it may also affect the neck region. Most of the times headaches are not very serious and occur because of stress or fatigue. Thus, most headaches can be easily treated with over the counter medication like aspirin. Different types of headaches that individuals suffer from are-
• Tension headaches- headaches may be the result of excess stress and tension. In case of tension headaches, the pain mainly affects the temple and the neck region. Although these headaches are not as severe as that of migraine they do hamper daily activities.
• Cluster headaches- This type of headaches affects more men rather than women. Cluster headaches generally occur in groups and clusters and are recurrent. The onset of cluster headaches are very sudden, along with symptoms like watery eyes and nasal congestion. They also lead to anxiety and restlessness.
• Sinus headaches- Inflammation and blockage in the sinus may occur due to a bacterial or viral infection. Clogged sinuses can lead to headaches, which cause extreme pain and discomfort. Antibiotics should be taken in case of sinus headaches, as they effectively cure the infection offering much needed relief.
• Rebound headaches- if too many medicines are consumed for headache relief, it may lead to a case of rebound headaches.
• Migraine headache- Migraine is very common and affects both men and women. It occurs because of some quite specific reactions in the brain. Various Symptoms of migraine are- pain in the eyes, sensitivity to light, 4-72 hours of constant headache, pain on one side of the head only, nausea and vomiting. Migraine treatment include either over the counter medication or even prescribed medicines. Certain lifestyle and diet changes are also essential.
In case of some individuals who suffer from Sciatica, every episode of lower back pain may also be accompanied with a headache. Although there is no direct connection between the back and the head, a headache as a result of a back pain is purely psychological. A chiropractor can effectively help in dealing with such pain
Apart from medications, headaches can also be effectively dealt with through natural ingredients that are commonly found in every household. Various home remedies for headaches include-
• Basil- This natural herb works as a very effective muscle relaxant, thus the consumption of basil during a headache, helps relax the tense muscles offering pain relief. Take a few basil leaves and boil them in water, add some honey and sip this warm mixture.
• Lavender oil- the scent of lavender oil itself works wonders to relieve a headache. It helps calm the body and especially works well in doing away with migraine symptoms. Add a few drops of lavender oil on a tissue paper and inhale it from time to time.
Lybrate offers you a chance to consult with the top headache specialists and chiropractors to seek their advice on different type of headaches including cluster headaches. Lybrate is the ideal medium through which you can connect with the top doctors all across India. Find leading headache specialists, chiropractors and general physicians in Nagpur, Nashik, Navi Mumbai, Noida, Panchkula etc. Lybrate.com offers easy online solutions to your medical issues. Subscribe to Lybrate.com and get in touch with your choice of doctor for advice on Sciatica and migraine treatment.
Consult top doctors for Headaches online with ease at Lybrate.com. You can call doctor online and view their reviews. Book appointments online as well. Lybrate is best source of top doctors in Adampakkam, Agaramthen, Anakaputhur, Arayappakkam, Ariyur, C.R.R Puram and in any other locality in Kanchipuram for Headaches.
Above are listed top doctors for Headaches in Pandur village , Kanchipuram. Post a free question today regarding Headaches and get answers from top doctors in no time.