Gastritis is a condition that occurs when your stomach lining becomes inflamed. This can be a result of excessive alcohol or caffeine intake. When this condition occurs, your stomach lining produces fewer amounts of acid, pepsin and the protective mucous. This causes you to feel bloated and feel full even when you eat too little. There may also be stomach ulcers in this case. Indigestion, loss of appetite, weight loss, vomiting, and nausea are common symptoms.
HOW IS GASTRITIS DIAGNOSED?
Gastroenterologists may conduct a complete physical examination and also evaluate your symptoms. If he or she suspects gastritis, tests may be prescribed for detecting H.pylori bacteria, endoscopy for examining the upper digestive system and X-ray of the upper digestive system
HOW IS GASTRITIS TREATED?
Treatment for Gastritis includes avoiding very hot and spicy foods along with heavier or deep fried foods. Additionally, the doctor would advise you to drink plenty of water to ease digestion and also have antacids to control the problem. Natural solutions like having cumin and fennel are recommended too.
DID YOU KNOW?
Limiting alcohol intake as well as intake of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen, naproxen, aspirin can help in preventing the condition.
Inflammation of the protective lining of the stomach results in a condition called gastritis. Gastritis can be acute as well as chronic. Chronic gastritis can last for many days’ even years if left untreated. A weak stomach lining causes swelling in the lining and the digestive juices tends to destroy the lining, causing gastritis. Gastritis is also caused due to a gastrointestinal bacterial infection. Gastritis symptoms include the following:
• A feeling of fullness generally post eating
• Nausea and vomiting
Since gastritis is related to the food you are eating, so gastritis diet is extremely important. A diet plan should be prepared which limits the food that might increase the amount of stomach acid and cause irritation and indigestion. Certain dietary and lifestyle changes helps decrease inflammation and reduce the discomfort. Listed below are some foods which you can include in your diet:
1. Fruits- fruits like apples, banana, peaches, pears, grapes, melon etc. contain many essential fibres, vitamins and minerals. Certain fruits such as orange, figs and berries also needs to be restricted as they can cause pain and irritation. One medium size of the fruit, 4 ounces of juice or ½ cup of canned fruit is generally advisable as an ideal gastritis diet.
2. Vegetables- vegetables are rich in nutrients which helps maintaining a healthy weight. One cup of fresh vegetables, ½ cup of cooked vegetables and 2 cups of green salads can help in improving gastritis diet. Try and avoid vegetable juices, chilies, onion, garlic and tomato as they can cause discomfort to the stomach.
3. Dairy products- an excellent source of vitamin and calcium, dairy products are vital for a healthy diet. However low fat or fat free dairy products are advisable as a gastritis diet which will help in controlling the stomach acid.
4. Meat, poultry and fish- mostly meat, poultry and fish do not cause any problem in gastritis. But lean meats, seafood, shellfish, tofu and soybeans are a better option as a gastritis diet.
5. Grains- enriched cereals and breads, whole grain breads, oatmeal, rice, potatoes, pasta, noodles and macaroni are good source of grains and included in gastritis diet. Coarse cereals and breads should be avoided as it causes discomfort and also abdominal pain.
6. Beverages- 6-8 litres of water daily helps in cleaning the gastrointestinal tract, replenishes the body, has zero calories and causes no discomfort.
The key rule to healthy diet is avoiding spicy foods which are extremely bad for your digestive tract. For a healthy intestinal functioning, a high fibre diet is also recommended. Certain food habits should also be excluded from the gastritis diet. They include:
• Avoid dried and fatty foods
• Avoid pickles, spicy, pepper and salty foods
• Avoid vinegar and foods containing vinegar
• Decrease alcohol, caffeine consumption
Acid reducing medications, proton pump inhibitors and antacids can be prescribed as a cure for gastritis. Carom seeds, ginger, chamomile tea, peppermint, strawberries and yogurt are also some of the gastric remedies.
Lybrate offers you to consult the top gastroenteritis in Jaipur, Jalandhar, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Mohali etc.
Top are results of best doctors for Gastritis in Vellathottam. You may see the doctor reviews by their patients and their peers and choose the best doctor. You can even post a free question on Lybrate.