Gastritis describes a group of conditions which are caused by the inflammation of the stomach lining. The stomach lining is usually inflamed due to a infection. Gastritis may be acute, that which occurs suddenly, or chronic – that which occurs slowly overtime. Symptoms are:
• Gnawing or burning ache or pain in your upper abdomen
• Increase in pain after eating
• Feeling of fullness in upper abdomen
HOW IS GASTRITIS DIAGNOSED?
Your general physician may check your medical history and perform a series of tests to detect bacteria, stool test, blood count test as well as perform an endoscopy to diagnose the condition.
HOW IS GASTRITIS TREATED?
Antacids are the most common medications prescribed along with a suggestion of a controlled diet (bland diet) to control the condition.
DID YOU KNOW?
That one of the ways to reduce the severity of Gastritis is to avoid lactose and gluten rich products?
Inflammation of the protective lining of the stomach results in a condition called gastritis. Gastritis can be acute as well as chronic. Chronic gastritis can last for many days’ even years if left untreated. A weak stomach lining causes swelling in the lining and the digestive juices tends to destroy the lining, causing gastritis. Gastritis is also caused due to a gastrointestinal bacterial infection. Gastritis symptoms include the following:
• A feeling of fullness generally post eating
• Nausea and vomiting
Since gastritis is related to the food you are eating, so gastritis diet is extremely important. A diet plan should be prepared which limits the food that might increase the amount of stomach acid and cause irritation and indigestion. Certain dietary and lifestyle changes helps decrease inflammation and reduce the discomfort. Listed below are some foods which you can include in your diet:
1. Fruits- fruits like apples, banana, peaches, pears, grapes, melon etc. contain many essential fibres, vitamins and minerals. Certain fruits such as orange, figs and berries also needs to be restricted as they can cause pain and irritation. One medium size of the fruit, 4 ounces of juice or ½ cup of canned fruit is generally advisable as an ideal gastritis diet.
2. Vegetables- vegetables are rich in nutrients which helps maintaining a healthy weight. One cup of fresh vegetables, ½ cup of cooked vegetables and 2 cups of green salads can help in improving gastritis diet. Try and avoid vegetable juices, chilies, onion, garlic and tomato as they can cause discomfort to the stomach.
3. Dairy products- an excellent source of vitamin and calcium, dairy products are vital for a healthy diet. However low fat or fat free dairy products are advisable as a gastritis diet which will help in controlling the stomach acid.
4. Meat, poultry and fish- mostly meat, poultry and fish do not cause any problem in gastritis. But lean meats, seafood, shellfish, tofu and soybeans are a better option as a gastritis diet.
5. Grains- enriched cereals and breads, whole grain breads, oatmeal, rice, potatoes, pasta, noodles and macaroni are good source of grains and included in gastritis diet. Coarse cereals and breads should be avoided as it causes discomfort and also abdominal pain.
6. Beverages- 6-8 litres of water daily helps in cleaning the gastrointestinal tract, replenishes the body, has zero calories and causes no discomfort.
The key rule to healthy diet is avoiding spicy foods which are extremely bad for your digestive tract. For a healthy intestinal functioning, a high fibre diet is also recommended. Certain food habits should also be excluded from the gastritis diet. They include:
• Avoid dried and fatty foods
• Avoid pickles, spicy, pepper and salty foods
• Avoid vinegar and foods containing vinegar
• Decrease alcohol, caffeine consumption
Acid reducing medications, proton pump inhibitors and antacids can be prescribed as a cure for gastritis. Carom seeds, ginger, chamomile tea, peppermint, strawberries and yogurt are also some of the gastric remedies.
Lybrate offers you to consult the top gastroenteritis in Nashik, Navi Mumbai, Noida, Panchkula, Patna etc.
Top are results of best doctors for Gastritis in Old Perungalathur. You may see the doctor reviews by their patients and their peers and choose the best doctor. You can even post a free question on Lybrate.