A cough is a common reflex action that clears the throat of mucus or foreign irritants. Coughing to clear the throat is typically an infrequent action, although there are a number of conditions that can cause more frequent bouts of coughing. In general, a cough that lasts for less than three weeks is an acute cough. A Cough is caused by a number of conditions such as:
1. Clearing the throat
2. Virus and bacteria
6. Other conditions such as - post nasal drip, damage to vocal cords or bacterial infections
HOW IS COUGH DIAGNOSED?
An acute cough does not require any diagnosis. Your doctor may conduct a thorough physical examination and listen to your lungs. General Physicians may order the following tests in order to diagnose the underlying cause of persistent, chronic cough:
• Chest X-ray
• Lung Function tests
• Blood tests
HOW IS COUGH TREATED?
An acute cough usually responds well to home treatment methods and clears within a week or two. If it is caused by virus or bacteria you may require an antibiotic dosage. A cough caused due to excessive smoking can be treated by cessation of smoking
DID YOU KNOW?
Quitting smoking, lifestyle changes and dietary changes play an important role in a healing cough
Cough is a part and parcel of life. You will see people coughing as you continue your daily routine. Home remedies for cough assume high importance as you don't want to go to a doctor every time you experience cough. There are different types of cough like dry cough, whooping cough etc. which a person learns to recognize with time. At times, coughs can also be serious symptoms for various diseases and doctor supervision is needed. Most of the times, however, home remedies for coughs will suffice.
Home Remedies for Dry Cough
If you have a dry cough and want to avoid cough syrup then the following home remedies for cough should be effective:
• A single tablespoon of honey, taken once to thrice daily, is amongst easy home remedies for dry cough. A single teaspoon or tablespoon is good dry cough home remedies for children. You may not need cough syrup.
• If you want to try out dry cough home remedies, then licorice root is a great option. Place it in a mug of boiled water. Then cover it for 10 to 15 minutes. Then drink from the cup. This should be repeated twice daily as home remedies for dry cough. Works better than cough syrup.
• Gargling salt water is also serves as good home remedies for cough. Gargle salt water for 15 seconds before spitting it out. Repeat the procedure with a mug of water for easy dry cough home remedies. After gargling rinse your mouth with plain water. Isn't it an easy home remedies for cough? Cough syrup is rendered needless.
• Use pepper and honey for painless home remedies for cough. Place the honey and pepper in a cup covered by boiling water. Stir the mixture enough to make the pepper to be assimilated in the honey. Steep it for about 10 minutes and stir again. Take the mixture once or twice in a day for effortless home remedies for cough. Isn't it a great alternative to cough syrup?
Whooping Cough? Home Remedies for Cough
When it comes to a whooping cough, things take a serious turn. No need to worry, there are several natural home remedies for cough for a whooping cough as well with substances like ginger, turmeric, garlic etc. Bid goodbye to cough syrup.
Home Remedies for Cough Caused by Allergy
There are several home remedies for cough caused by allergy and you wouldn't even have to contemplate cough syrup. Here is some quick cough treatment, done the natural way.
• Honey works well as cough treatment for allergies too. In the case of people coughing due to various reasons honey as a miracle cough treatment. It can be mixed with various other natural ingredients for excellent home remedies for cough.
• Probiotics can also help people coughing. Though are not direct cough remedies they help the immune system finds its own and make for great home remedies for cough in the absence of cough syrup.
• Cough syrup may be avoided through home remedies for cough like Bromelain found in Pineapples. A tasty and healthy cough remedy!
• Peppermint surely makes your mouth fresh. But it is also among one of the home remedies for cough. With a plethora of cough remedy, cough syrup is simply passe.
• Marshmallow is also among good home remedies for cough. Althaea officinalis, its source, has been used for ages as home remedies for cough. It is a tasty alternative to cough syrup in addition to being amongst excellent home remedies for cough.
In order to be alleviated from cough whether through home remedies for cough or cough syrup consult Lybrate, the premier resource for chest specialists in Bangalore, Pune, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Chennai etc.
Call doctors and view Cough treatment cost in Adampakkam, Agaramthen, Anakaputhur, Arayappakkam, Ariyur, C.R.R Puram and in any other locality in Kanchipuram. On Lybrate you can connect with top doctors, book appointment online, see reviews, consultation fees for Cough.
All doctors listed above are best doctors available in Guduvanchery , Kanchipuram for Cough. Post a free query today at Lybrate and receive answers from top doctors.