Blood cancer affects the production and function of blood cells. There are different types of blood cancers, also referred as hematologic cancers. Most of these cancers usually start in the bone marrow where blood is produced. Common types of blood cancer include:
Leukemia: Cancer in blood-forming tissue.
Non-Hodgkin lymphoma: It develops in the lymphatic system from cells called lymphocytes.
Hodgkin lymphoma: It is marked by the presence Reed-Sternberg cell (or B lymphocyte).
Multiple myeloma: It begins in the blood's plasma cells. Plasma cell is a type of white blood cell that is made in the bone marrow.
Some common symptoms include:
• Persistent fatigue, weakness
• Night sweats
• Swollen lymph nodes in the neck, underarms, groin
• Unexplained weight loss
• Fever, chills, loss of appetite, nausea, headaches
• Bone or joint pain
• Abdominal discomfort
• Shortness of breath
• Itchy skin or skin rash
HOW IS BLOOD CANCER DIAGNOSED?
Oncologists may diagnose blood cancer based on the following tests:
• Complete blood count
• Bone marrow biopsy
• Protein blood testing
• Tumor marker tests
• Circulating tumor tests
HOW IS BLOOD CANCER TREATED?
Treatment for blood cancer depends on the type of cancer. Some common blood cancer treatments are:
• Stem cell transplantation
• Radiation therapy
DID YOU KNOW?
There are 137 types of blood cancer and related disorders.
Blood cancer is a certain disease that affects blood, bone marrow and the lymphatic system. There are three main types of blood cancer which mainly includes leukaemia, lymphoma and myeloma. Blood cancer generally affects the production and function of blood cells. This generally starts in the bone marrow and then spreads in other body parts. There are two types of blood cancer, which are most prominent. They are leukemia that originates in the blood forming tissue, and myeloma that begins in the blood plasma cell, chiefly of white blood cells created in the bone marrow. Not all the blood cancer behaves in the same way. Some grow rapidly and some develop slowly. While discussing about its occurrence anyone can get blood cancer at any time of his or her lives.
Some of the symptoms of blood cancer may include:
1. Fever and chills become frequent.
2. Persistent fatigue and weakness can be seen thoroughly.
3. You will lose your appetite and feel nauseated.
4. Unexplained weight loss will be noticed.
5. You will have night sweats.
6. You will have bone and joint pain.
7. Abdominal discomfort.
8. Headaches are a common symptoms in this disease.
9. Shortness of breath.
10. Frequent infections.
11. Itchy skin or skin rash.
12. Swollen lymph nodes will occur in the neck, underarms and groin.
The treatment of blood cancer depends on the types of cancer, your age, and also on the stage of the cancer. Sometimes it also depends on in which body parts the cancer has spread.
Some treatments of blood cancer include:
The hematologist and oncologist treat blood cancers with many procedures. Some of them are:
1. A stem cell transplant infuses healthy blood-forming stem cells into the body. Stem cells can be collected from the bone marrow, circulating (peripheral) blood and umbilical cord blood.
2. Chemotherapy is the use of anticancer drugs designed to interfere with and halt the growth of cancer cells in the body. Chemotherapy for blood cancer sometimes consists of giving several drugs together in a set regimen. It may also be given before a stem cell transplant.
3. Radiation therapy may be used to destroy cancer cells or to relieve pain or discomfort. It may also be given before a stem cell transplant.
Lybrate is a platform for you to find doctors that work closely with issues like Blood Cancer in Hyderabad, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Coimbatore. You can interact with them virtually before you decide to avail them. It provides you complete information about your condition and all other guidance that you might need.
Consult top doctors for Blood Cancer online with ease at Lybrate.com. You can call doctor online and view their reviews. Book appointments online as well. Lybrate is best source of top doctors in Adampakkam, Agaramthen, Anakaputhur, Arayappakkam, Ariyur, C.R.R Puram and in any other locality in Kanchipuram for Blood Cancer.
Above are listed top doctors for Blood Cancer in Arayappakkam , Kanchipuram. Post a free question today regarding Blood Cancer and get answers from top doctors in no time.