Acidity is a common stomach abnormality and the symptoms may include severe pain in upper stomach after meals, heartburn sensations and nausea.
HOW IS ACIDITY DIAGNOSED?
Diagnosing acidity requires the gastro enterologist to study the patient’s medical history in detail. In case of failure of initial acid suppressing medicines, the doctor may then decide to go ahead with an endoscopy of the upper Gastrointestinal tract or a Barium meal study. Very rare cases of ulcers might need a biopsy.
HOW IS ACIDITY TREATED?
Identifying and avoiding the triggers for acidity forms the basis of treatment. The doctor may advise a combination of lifestyle changes, dietary modifications and medication. Surgery is extremely rare to treat acidity.
DID YOU KNOW?
Spicy food, excessive intake of fatty food, erratic eating habits, intake of fried food before bedtime, long hauls between meals, and starving are common triggers for acidity. Smoking and drinking must be quitted.
Acidity is a result of an imbalance in the body. The imbalance may occur between the acid present in the stomach and proximal intestine and the protective apparatus which ensures the healthy functioning of both. Acid is generally secreted by the stomach, to aid in digestion and the effective excretion of the waste out of the body. When the stomach secretes excess acid, it results in acidity and indigestion. Acidity causes are quite external and occur because
• Consumption of fatty diet
• Excessive stress
• Consumption of alcohol
• Excessive smoking
• No physical exercise
• Irregular pattern of eating
You are more likely to get acidity when you eat too much of spicy meat along with oily food. You may be sure to suffer from this condition if you are experiencing common acidity symptoms like dyspepsia and heartburn. Heartburn results in strong pain just behind the sternum, resulting in an uncomfortable burning sensation. It generally starts post meal, and can get quite bad especially during the night making it difficult to get sleep. You may also suffer from indigestion and slight nausea.
Acidity is a common problem that many individuals suffer from. It can be easily treated at home. Here are a few common home remedies for acidity that are highly effective and simple-
• Basil leaves- chewing some basil leaves the instant that you feel the symptoms of acidity appearing, will help soothe the heartburn, offering quick relief. Chew the leaves thoroughly before gulping them down. You can also boil the leaves and drink up the brew with a hint of honey in it.
• Buttermilk- buttermilk is easy to make and contains lactic acid, which neutralizes the acid in the stomach. Simply continue to sip some buttermilk throughout the day, until you get some kind of relief from acidity.
• Apple cider vinegar- you may wonder, how vinegar being acidic helps with the acid content in the stomach. Apple cider vinegar is an effective acidity treatment as it acts as an alkalizing agent. Just mix about two spoons of this liquid into water and consume it twice a day.
• Cloves- if the cause of your acidity is low acid in the stomach, you can chew on some cloves. The cloves increase the amount of hydrochloric acid in the stomach which is then dispelled in the form of gas from the body.
If the above home remedies for acidity do not work in your case, you can try antacids or histamine blocking agents for acidity treatment. Only in very severe cases, like constant hyperacidity may a surgery be performed.
Lybrate offers you an ideal chance to get in touch with the best gastroenterologists and seek their advice on acidity treatment. Through Lybrate you can consult the top doctors all across India. Find top gastroenterologists and general physicians in Mohali, Nagpur, Nashik, Navi Mumbai, Noida etc. Lybrate.com also offers online guidance to your medical problems. Subscribe to Lybrate.com so you can consult the doctor of your choice and get effective solutions on acidity symptoms and hyperacidity.
Call doctors and view Acidity treatment cost in Adampakkam, Agaramthen, Anakaputhur, Arayappakkam, Ariyur, C.R.R Puram and in any other locality in Kanchipuram. On Lybrate you can connect with top doctors, book appointment online, see reviews, consultation fees for Acidity.
All doctors listed above are best doctors available in Guduvanchery , Kanchipuram for Acidity. Post a free query today at Lybrate and receive answers from top doctors.