Itching is not really a disease but is a symptom of diseases. Itching can be internal or external. For example you could have itching sensation at the back of your throat, which means that you may have a strep throat or sore throat. Itching on the skin accompanied with redness, swelling and irritation could be the sign of some allergy. Scalp itching could mean fungal infection.
HOW IS ITCHING DIAGNOSED?
Itching can be diagnosed by a general physician by evaluating your symptoms. In most cases, itching is caused by dry skin for which there is no specific diagnosis needed. The doctor however, will perform tests to rule out other underlying conditions in case there is a persistent itching problem.
HOW IS ITCHING TREATED?
Treatment for itching usually includes using soothing ointments, topical creams and lotions and solutions. In cases of throat itching salt water gargle and syrups may be given. Ice packs are also suggested.
DID YOU KNOW?
Itching is also sometimes linked to psychological conditions such as depression and anxiety.
Pruritus is the generic name for itching, a sensation which is highly uncomfortable and compels you to scratch yourself. The itching sensation can be generalized or localized. Generalized itching affects the entire body, while localized itching affects only a part of the body. Skin rashes can also cause itching.
You may suffer from body itching due to a number of reasons like-
• Various skin conditions like Eczema
• Many a time allergies and skin rashes like hives can also cause itching
• Parasite infestation, like scabies
• Itchy insect bites and stings, like mosquito or ant bites and bee stings
• Fungal infections like athlete's foot or even vaginal thrush
• Hormonal imbalance due to pregnancy or menopause
• Systemic condition, like problem with the thyroid, or kidney problems
If you scratch itchy skin it can lead to swelling and skin rupture, which may result in infections and bleeding. Thus, if you experience itching in body be sure to keep in mind the following tips-
• Do not scratch yourself hard, this will only worsen the affected area. Gently tap or rub your skin for instant relief.
• Numb the itchy skin area with a cold compress. This will effectively help you deal with the discomfort.
• take a shower, either with warm or cool water
• Ensure you do not wear any material that will irritate your skin. For example wool. Instead wear cotton or muslin which are very light on the body.
• If you experience localized itching, apply basil leaves on the area. This is because basil contains camphor and thymol, two anti-itch compounds that will offer instant relief.
• Moisturize your skin regularly to prevent any dryness and skin itching
Apart from the above natural means of dealing with body itching, you can also use over the counter antihistamines and steroid creams.
Two of the most common allergies which cause skin itching or eczema and hives. Eczema is known as atopic dermatitis in medical terms. This chronic condition generally begins from childhood with localized itching that starts because of food allergies.
Urticaria is the medical term for hives, which are basically reddish swollen rashes on the skin. The onset of hives is generally triggered by food or drug allergies and even insect bites. These skin rashes are generally very itchy and cause great discomfort.
If you face persistent itching for a long period of time, be sure to visit a doctor as soon as possible. This is because constant itching is a sign that there is something wrong with the body. Your doctor will initially ask you to get a blood test done. Once the cause of the itching is diagnosed he will advise relevant treatment.
Lybrate gives you an excellent chance to get in touch with top dermatologists and get their opinion on various issue related to skin itching and skin rashes. Through Lybrate you can consult the best doctors all across India. Find the top dermatologists and general physicians in Mohali, Nagpur, Nashik, Navi Mumbai, Noida etc. Lybrate.com also offers an effective online solution to your medical problems. Just subscribe to Lybrate.com, and get helpful tips on how to deal with eczema and hives.
Consult top doctors for Itching online with ease at Lybrate.com. You can call doctor online and view their reviews. Book appointments online as well. Lybrate is best source of top doctors in Abids, Adarsh Nagar, Adibatla, Almasguda, Amberpet, Ameerpet and in any other locality in Hyderabad for Itching.