Lybrate.com has top trusted Dietitian/Nutritionists from across India. You will find Dietitian/Nutritionists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dietitian/Nutritionists online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Deepa Agarwal
Customised Diet Chart
Weight Management Treatment
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Weight Loss Treatment
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Healthy Heart Diet
Holistic Heart Wellness & Health Care - Ayurveda
Child Nutrition Management
Treatment of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart Att
Nutrition Assessment Service
Asthma Treatment & Management
Diet Therapy Treatment
Weight Management Counseling
Angioplasty Stent Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. Deepa AgarwalYour feedback matters!
Christmas would be incomplete without a delicious Christmas plum cake. This lovely cake is rich in fresh and dried fruits and is soaked in brandy or orange liquor. Preparations for this cake often start a month before Christmas as the fruits are cut and soaked in alcohol until it is time to bake them. Here are 8 fascinating facts about this Christmas cake.
- It has a really long shelf life: Christmas cake or fruitcake can last for months and years. This may be because of the alcohol content in the cake. Many families keep aside a part of the Christmas cake to be eaten during Easter. The longevity of this cake is also why it is the perfect packed food for hunters and travellers.
- It is packed with energy: Christmas cake has a high ratio of fruits to flour and hence is packed with nutrients. On the flip side, this isn’t a cake you want to snack on as it can also increase your waistline.
- Naturally dried fruits are the key to a good Christmas cake: Christmas cake is said to be an acquired taste. However, the key to make a good Christmas cake is to avoid glazed and candied fruits and instead use naturally sweetened and dried fruits. This makes the cake healthier and much more wholesome.
- You can put any fruit into Christmas cake: Christmas fruit cake is an all inclusive cake. A Christmas cake can be made with fresh fruits, dried fruits or a mixture of the two. However, fresh fruit cake has a shorter life span than dried fruit cake.
- It gets better with time: Like wine, Christmas cake ages and tastes better with time. Christmas cake can also be revived, if it has dried out. For this, all you have to do is, steam the cake and drizzle a little more alcohol over it.
- It is a very old recipe: Christmas cake is said to date back to the Roman empire. The Romans used a mixture of pine nuts, barley, raisins, sweetened wine and pomegranate seeds to make a version of the Christmas cake known as satura. However, it was only in the 16th century that it gained popularity.
- The origins of Christmas cake lies in a meat pie: Christmas cake has evolved from the plum pudding. This plum pudding was originally a pie of mixed minced meats and fruits. With time, the meat was removed and only the fruits remained. Later, spice and dried fruits were added to the recipe to give us a modern day Christmas cake.
- Christmas cake was traditionally not eaten on Christmas day: Christmas cake was originally eaten on the twelfth day of Christmas. For this reason, it was also known as the twelfth night cake.
Kidneys are an important part of the human body. From filtering wastes from the blood to maintaining the blood pressure and red blood cell count in the body, the kidney does it all. Both the kidneys are essential organs and should there be any discomfort in the kidneys, one should consult a medical practitioner as soon as possible. Kidney failure is a common problem in people. This issue manifests itself with certain signs and symptoms. One should listen to these symptoms and act quickly before the condition worsens. Here are some of the signs and symptoms of kidney failure.
Interestingly, in the initial stages, kidney failure portrays no symptoms. It starts developing slowly and steadily causing discomfort in other parts of the body and hindering the working of other organs.
Weakness: If you are suffering from kidney failure, you will start feeling weak. Weakness is however not a symptom which can confirm a kidney failure. Weakness is caused due to many other health issues and thus, you need to verify with other symptoms to be sure of the fact that you are suffering from kidney failure only.
Shortness of Breath: You may start experiencing heavy breathing right after doing some rigorous work. In fact, you might feel shortness of breath or be panting for long moments after climbing just a set of stairs. Shortness of breath is quite common indicating that the body is getting tired after doing work. Such indication, more than once a day, calls for an immediate check up of the body.
Lethargy: While most people, especially the young generation to those in the early thirties jokingly declare themselves as lazy people; lethargy, however, is a symptom of many diseases. Various health issues develop if you feel lethargic of working. Apart from kidney failure, diabetes is also manifested in lethargic body movements. At times, just getting out of the bed in the morning seems very tiring and one continues to lie on the bed even after he/she is fully awake.
Stomach Pain: If you experience pain in the stomach, especially in the sides, then it should be immediately checked by a medical practitioner. Doctors say that kidney failure can bring about stomach pains.
Unusual Urine Discharges: This would include clear urine discharges which indicate that the kidney has stopped filtering the waste products.
Thus, these are some of the most important and common symptoms of kidney failure. If you notice any of these, it is advised to visit a doctor for a check up.
I want to know the symptoms and treatment for emphysema and chances of being a diabetic when there is a history in family thank you.
Hi my father is a diabetic patient he is taking insulin twice daily and he has a urinary infection my father age is 75 and he is drinking 3 litres of water now leukocytes is +++ in urine and all are negative what are the precautions I have to take for these please clarify.
Hello Dr. I'm 25 years married n I'm a diabetic n hyperthyroidism I take insulin twice a day n thyronorm 100 mg b4 breakfast Im 45 kg I wanna gain weight Please suggest me to increase my weight as soon as possible I ll be very thankful, and my blood sugar n thyroid levels r normal and I don't get my periods regular too please help me,
Winter is the season of amla, also known as Indian gooseberry. This little fruit is a storehouse of nutrients. It is extremely rich in Vitamin C and has a sour taste. It can cure many ailments and has numerous other health benefits. So let’s take a look at some of its many health benefits and hence, more reasons to add amla to your diet.
Amla health benefits:
• Hair: Amla is extremely good for the hair. It enhances hair growth and also beautifies it. It improves the lustre of our hair. If you have a hair fall problem, amla is an excellent solution to cure it.
• Skin: Being rich in Vitamin C as well as antioxidants, amla brightens the skin and gives it a glow. Regular intake of amla can also help you to get rid of pimples and acne. Hence, for a glowing and clear skin, amla is one of the best foods to consume.
• Better eyesight: Amla is good for eyesight as well. It is believed to improved vision. It can also improve near sightedness as well as cataract. It is mainly because of the presence of beta carotene in amla.
• Weight loss: Amla also aids in weight loss. It is known to boost metabolism and thus helps in weight loss. Hence, if you are trying to lose weight, adding amla to your diet is an excellent choice.
• Good for the heart: What more? Amla is also good for the heart. Cholesterol builds up being the major reason of heart diseases, amla helps in reducing the build-up of bad cholesterol. Thus, it is good for cardiovascular health.
Ways amla can be consumed: There are various ways in which amla can be consumed. It is better to buy fresh amla and prepare various things with it rather than the store bought amla things. • You can eat amla just as it is. • Prepare amla juice. • Amla pickle. • Amla candy. • Or you can try out any other recipe that you like.