Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Ophthalmologists online in Hyderabad. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Siyath Khan
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Artificial Eye Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. Siyath KhanYour feedback matters!
Ebooks maybe are a lot easier to carry, and with the emerging trend of Kindles, it may appear to be more convenient than paperbacks, but the smell of new books, the texture of its pristine pages, is unparalleled to the inanimateness of ebooks. But that is not just why you must choose paperbacks over ebooks.
Read on to find out why paperbacks work well over ebooks for better eye health:
- Does not involve light-emission: The backlit electronic devices, strain your eyes, causing redness, irritation and watering. Most doctors advise that exposure to light during the evening, especially from artificial sources should be minimal. On the other hand, books do not emit any harmful rays, making it the obvious choice if you want to take good care of your eyes.
- Do not hamper body clock: Our system has a tendency to adapt itself to the rhythm of life by responding to the surrounding light. However, the blue light in reading devices disrupt the release of melatonin or the sleep hormone, causing inadequate, less deep sleep, and fatigue and irritation the following morning. Thus, not giving enough time to your eyes and body for revitalizing. On the other hand, studies have shown that people reading books sleep better and timelier than those reading on devices.
- Proximity to device not required: The admonition of not sitting too close to the television's screen glare is nullified by reading devices where a certain level of proximity is required for comfortable reading, which harms our eyes. But paperbacks do not have any such risk involved as there is no glare that would affect our eyes.
- Does not induce disrupted winking: Electronic devices often trigger a tendency to not blink and stare at the screen constantly for longer than advisable. That does not give the lenses in your eyes the momentary rest that the eyes require in order to replenish themselves.
Exercises to improve eye health:
There are many common measures people take to improve their eyesight or improve their vision. These include wearing glasses, lenses, sunglasses and many such measures. Here are some effective exercises which prove to be highly beneficial in increasing your eye health:
- Stretching: This is the most common and also one of the easiest to do. It requires you to just look up, hold for two seconds, look down, hold for two seconds, then repeat this procedure for each corner of your eye, which means top-left, top-right, bottom-left and bottom-right corners.
- Flexing: This is simply rotating your eyes in circles. Roll your eyes in the clockwise direction for one minute and then roll your eyes in the anticlockwise direction for one minute.
- Focus switching: This particular eye exercise is used for accommodation and is probably the most useful one. In this eye exercise, you have to hold something at a reading distance and cover the other eye. You then have to find something that is at least twenty feet away and trace its shape with one eye closed. With one eye closed, trace more shapes which are twenty feet away and this may improve your eyesight.
- Palming: This exercise is also very simple to perform. All you have to do is cover your eyes with your palms. Once you have done this, just wait and see that there are no bright flashes of light. If you see that there is a bright flash of light, just wait till they go. This is used primarily to destress the eyes.
- Deep blinking: This is also an incredibly useful exercise for distance vision. All you have to do is to place some large letters at a fair distance and then sit on a chair. You have to then close your eyes and tighten all your muscles for 5 seconds. After the gap of 5 seconds, open your eyes and see the letters for a second or two. The more time you do this the more clearly you will be able to see the letters after reopening your eyes.
Finally, a warning has to be given that these eye treatments are not universally accepted by all doctors.
Related Tip: "How Should You Exercise Your Eyes Everyday?"
My location being Hyderabad as of now, being exams ahead next month so I usually stay inside but forget about getting out even if I make a single step in the balcony I start feeling pain behind my eyes spontaneously. Due to UV exposure and sunlight, what precautions and measures I can take to avoid this pain and just be healthy not bothering myself, apart from sun screen lotions.
I had a severe headache in one side of my head. This includes some part of my right eye also. What should I do to get rid of it?
Most individuals suffer from eye problems sometime in their entire life span. Since our eyes are one of the most important assets and sense organs, periodic check ups are recommended to prevent serious eye problems. Here is a list of 5 primary eye diseases, their causes and care:
Causes: May occur because of factors like viruses, bacteria and Irritant substances such as shampoo, smoke, dirt, chlorine in swimming pools. Dust, pollens or similar allergies may cause this disease in sensitive people. Infectious conjunctivitis can be transmitted from person to another.This can be prevented from transmission by frequent hand wash and cleaning the common use materials like TV remote, mobiles and laptop keyboards. Avoid shaking hands with other people when affected and also abstain from using contact lenses.This disorder may be treated with eye drops, pills or ointments
Vascular: The diseases can be caused in patients with uncontrolled diabetes, hypertension and other systemic diseases, macular degeneration etc. It can be treated with anti-VEGF injections for further progression and loss of vision.
Glaucoma: In case of this disease, the optic nerve of the eye is damaged and can lead to loss of vision over time.
Causes: Occurs due to poor pressure control modalities within the eyes . The extra pressure destroys the optic nerve. Permanent blindness is caused if the disease is not controlled and treated. Eye drops, laser surgery, and microsurgery are methods for curing glaucoma.
Ocular Migraine: This temporary disease causes loss of vision in one eye and generally does not last for more than an hour. This might happen after a migraine headache.
Causes: Mainly caused due to health-related issues than from eye problems. Also occurs from regular migraines. temporary blurred vision is related to spasms caused in the blood vessels of the retina. This disorder can be cured by using aspirin, epilepsy drugs and blood-pressure medication known as beta blockers.
Retinal vascular occlusion: This disease affects the retina and lowers the supply of oxygen-rich blood.
Causes: Factors such as atherosclerosis, blood clots and blockage in arteries, diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity or smoking lead to this disease. The blood flow to the retina is restricted. Medicines like blood thinners, eye injects such as vascular endothelial growth can cure this disorder.
Causes: Happens due to interruption of messages sent to the eye from the brain. Caused from muscle disorders. Also caused from migraines, thyroid problems, stroke, etc. Special eye patches and eyewear are used for treating this disorder, for relieving double vision.
So one should go for regular eye check ups to keep all these diseases away to prevent serious visual loss. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ophthalmologist.
Do you spend long hours in front of the computer? If you do, you may be experiencing eye strain on a regular basis. Eye strain is a common problem and is characterised by fatigue, decreased productivity, red eyes and eye twitching. You can get rid of eye strain by making use of any one of these simple tips.
1. Ensure that your workplace has correct lighting
Often eye strain occurs as a result of improper lighting. This can be caused by exposure to bright sunlight coming in from the windows and doors or excessively dazzling indoor lights. You can avoid extra lights by keeping blinds or shades closed and by avoiding high-intensity bulbs or fluorescent lights. Alternatively, opting for incandescent or halogen lighting can be beneficial.
2. Minimise glare
You can install an anti-glare screen on the monitor of your computer to minimise glare. Keep the windows covered to reduce glare caused by outdoor sources.
3. Modify the display settings of your computer
You can modify the display settings of your computer in the following manner to reduce eye strain:
• Brightness-Set the brightness of the display to a level, which equals the brightness of your workplace.
• Text size and contrast-Modify the text size and contrast according to the comfort level of your eyes. For most people, black text colour on a white background ensures minimum eye strain and maximum convenience.
• Colour temperature- The spectrum of visible light, which a colour display usually emits is its colour temperature. Blue light is considered to cause more eye strain. So, you should decrease the colour temperature to minimize the amount of blue light emitted by your computer’s display.
4. Try some eye exercises
You can practise some easy eye exercises to prevent your eyes from getting tired. Try staring at a distant object for 10-15 seconds and then looking at any nearby object for another 10-15 seconds. Return your gaze to the first object. Repeat 10 times.
5. Opt for some computer eyewear while working
Try wearing a pair of computer glasses while working. They ensure that your eyes remain correctly focussed on the computer screen, while reducing strain to a minimum. Computer glasses also prove to be very effective in diminishing glare.
6. Take short breaks at regular intervals
Apply the 20-20 rule to your work regime. After each 20 minutes of work on the computer, give your eyes a 20 second break by looking away from the screen towards any object located 20 feet away from you.
7. Go for a comprehensive eye exam
Make sure that you go for a comprehensive eye exam every year to reduce vision problems caused by computers. This will also help in detecting the root cause behind your problem, so that you can effectively employ curative or preventive measures to control eye strain.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on 'Consult'.
I have red eyes last 2 years and this time is very painful but not a regular only in summer session please help me what I do.
Hi I am 25years old, wearing spectacles from last 8yrs, is it advisable for me to go for Lasik treatment to remove spectacles permanently. Please give me detailed explanation if the answer is yes or no.
I have checked doctor recently and he says that it should be weired for life long is their any other way to reduce by eye site?
Hello doctor. Recently I started wearing plastic lens specs but its hurting my eyes causing pain too much. Number is exactly same and correct. Please guide.
Age-related macular degeneration, also known in brief as AMD or ARMD is one of the most common age-related causes for vision loss. It causes “blind spots” in vision, causing difficulty in activities requiring central vision like reading, sewing, driving, watching TV, computer usage, etc.
How it happens?
The centre portion of the eye is known as retina which has a screen in the posterior portion. For proper vision, light falls on this screen and is then processed to enable ‘vision.’ When this screen is not clear, blurred vision results. It may not cause total blindness but impairs vision including double vision and loss of central vision.
Types: There are two types of AMD, wet and dry.
- Dry: There are yellow deposits known as drusen which form in the macula, and as they grow in size, they impair vision, specifically the central vision. This is the common variant and can lead to the wet form.
- Wet: There are abnormal blood vessels which are formed in the retina. There is leaking of blood and fluid which makes it ‘wet.’ There could be scarring of these leaked substances, which again leads to loss of central vision. Further studies have shown that retina produces a protein knows as vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) which promotes the generation of new blood vessels, normally required for the production of new blood vessels. However, increased VEGF causes excessive proliferation of blood vessels, leading to macular degeneration.
Risk factors: Though age related, there are definitely some factors which put one at a higher risk for AMD
- Genetics: AMD is hereditary and runs in families
- Gender: Females are more prone to develop AMD than males
- Ageing: People above 60 are at greater risk
- Smoking: Direct and passive smoking contribute to AMD.
- Obesity: Accelerates the pace of AMD and severity of complications.
- Hypertension: Increases the chances of developing AMD
- Ethnicity: Caucasians are more prone to develop AMD as their lighter skin and eye color is more prone to sun damage
- Sun exposure: Increased sun exposure accelerates the onset of AMD
- No symptoms in the initial stages
- Gradually, there is impaired central vision, affecting activities like reading, driving, and computer usage
- Color perception is impaired
- A routine eye exam will reveal the yellow deposits which actually cause the condition.
- An angiography may be done after injecting a dye to detect blood vessel growth.
There is no cure, but progress can be delayed