Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Orthopedists in India. You will find Orthopedists with more than 35 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Orthopedists online in Hyderabad. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Knee Pain Treatment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Joint And Muscle Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Acl Reconstruction Procedure
Hip Replacement Surgery
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Knee Care Procedures
Joint Replacement Surgery
Ankle Pain Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Submit a review for Dr. RavinderYour feedback matters!
Best Exercises for Knee Pain Relief in Osteoarthritis
The quadriceps (or quads) describe the four muscles located on the front of the thigh. They contract together to help flex (or lift up) the hip and extend (or straighten) the knee. The quads often become weak after injury is sustained or surgery is performed on the lower leg or thigh. For this reason, it is important to learn how to strengthen this muscle group for a complete recovery.
People with certain conditions often exhibit quadriceps weakness. These conditions may include:
- Patellofemoral stress syndrome
- Iliotibial band friction syndrome
- Patellar tendonitis or tendinosis
Typically, a specific area of your quad called the vastus medialis obliqus (VMO) may be weak or inhibited from contracting properly in these conditions. Your PT can show you how to perform these quad exercises with a special focus on the VMO for maximal effect.
Some quad strengthening exercises place significant stress on your knee joint. Your physical therapist can show you ways to minimize joint stress while still strengthening your quadriceps. Be sure to check in with your doctor before starting these - or any other - exercises.
Reveiw these exercises for quad strengthening and get started on the road to stronger thighs.
2 Straight Leg Raises
Place a cuff weight around your ankle to add full resistance to your straight leg raising exercise.
The straight leg raising (SLR) exercise is a simple way to get your quad muscles working properly. Here is how the SLR is done.
- Lie on your back on a flat surface.
- Bend the knee of your uninvolved leg (the one that wasn't operated on) to a 90-degree angle, and keep your foot flat on the surface. Keep your involved leg straight without the knee bent.
- Slowly lift the involved leg 12 inches off the floor (by contracting the front thigh muscles). Hold for five seconds.
- Slowly lower your leg to the floor. Relax and repeat 10 to 15 times.
The knee of the raised leg should remain straight throughout this exercise. Focus on lifting by using the muscles on the front of your hip joint. This exercise can be made more challenging by placing a 2 or 3 pound cuff weight on your ankle before you lift.
3 Short Arc Quads
The short arc quad (SAQ) exercise is a great way to really focus in on properly contracting your quadriceps muscles. Here is how you do it:
- Lie on your back and use a small coffee can (or paper towel roll) to prop your knee up.
- Slowly straighten your bent knee until it is all the way straight.
- Tighten your quad muscle and hold it tight for 5 seconds.
- Slowly lower your leg down.
- Repeat for 15 repetitions.
4 Wall Slides
- Stand upright with your back against a wall and feet shoulder-width apart.
- Slowly bend your knees, sliding your back down the wall for a count of five until your knees are bent at a 45-degree angle. (Do not bend too much further than this, as it will cause increased strain on your knees.) Hold this position for 5 seconds.
- Straightening your knees by slowly sliding up the wall until you are fully upright with knees straight.
- Repeat the above steps 10 more times.
5 Terminal Knee Extension
Terminal knee extension (TKE) is a simple, yet effective, way to strengthen your quads in a standing position. The TKE is considered a functional exercise, as you quads will be working while supporting your body weight.
To perform the terminal knee extension exercise, you must first obtain a resistance band, like a Theraband, from your physical therapist. Once you have a band, you should be ready to start the exercise. Here's how you do it:
- Tie your resistance band around a stable object so it is anchored around the height of your knee. (The leg of a table is a good place.)
- Step into the loop with the leg you wish to exercise.
- Face the anchor point with the resistance band looped around your knee and your knee slightly bent.
- Slowly straighten your knee, placing tension on the band. The resistance band should provide some resistance as your try to fully straighten your knee.
- Once your knee is straight and the band has tension on it, hold the position for 3 seconds.
- Slowly allow your knee to bend slightly once again.
- Repeat the exercise for 15 repetitions.
I am 63 years old I am having rhumo type pain for last 5 days, please suggest any tablet and a consultant at kolkata.
I have body pains for over 3 days, please suggesting removed pains I am daily exercises morning and evening.
When pain management doesn't help, what are other alternatives for back pain due to bulged discs and arthritis?
Mere pair ke ediyo me jalan hai Aur ediya me bahut dard hora khade rahe toh ya Chale toh. Tell me what should I do.
Trigger finger situation for both the hand fingers . Age is above 60 years , she is diabetic . Not able to use 3 fingers on both hands , has pain also when tries to bend . Need to know about possible ways to treat this & Whom should we contact for treatment neurologist or orthopaedic .
I am 45 yr old, have joint pain. I take calcijoint plus capsules, but when I dont I start panic. What should I do.?
M football goal keeper. In these 3-4 days having pain in my left shoulder help me doctor please. Thanks.
Hi, I am 30 years woman with 3 children. I have suffering backpain many times. Kindly advise me tips for better living. M.Rawat.
Hi doctor. I have heavy back pain from past 3 weeks. I am taking only pain killing tablets only that time only its fine. Other time started pain again. My age 30 kindly advise me.
Sir I have numbness and pain in my feet, legs and feeling in both hands. B12 test is ok. Is I hv aids. I have no other symptoms like fever, cough, headache, vomiting, loose motion.
I had a fracture in my feet an year ago. 2 metatarsal, 1 phalange were fractured hairline. Ankle was twisted. Still my heel pains if I stand for 9 hours. Shall I continue my medicines? (lupin almighty plus, balof od 20mg)
I am 20 years old male. I have back pain in continues 4-5 years. I am used in pain relief ointment. Please any suggestions in the case.
After six months I am still in constant pain which originally. Was due to hip bursitis. The x Ray shows a degeneration of the hip bone and pain tablets co codomol 8/500 four message per day with naproxen twice per day is not really relieving. The pain much. And now doctor says a total hip.
Causes, symptoms and treatment of Osteoarthritis