Lybrate.com has top trusted General Physicians from across India. You will find General Physicians with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Rama Devi
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Rama DeviYour feedback matters!
Doctors keep learning from research conducted on different types of diseases and their treatments. In the case of lactose tolerance, the conventional wisdom has been that the condition may actually start setting in by the time the baby turns 2 years, but it may not manifest itself till the child reaches adulthood. However, later research has revealed that not only does lactose intolerance occur as one ages, but there are other considerations besides the age of the person, which determine lactose intolerance and its intensity.
Production of Lactase: There is no difference of opinion that the basic cause of this condition is directly related to the production of an enzyme, lactase within the body. This enzyme is produced in the small intestine, and once its production tapers off or stops completely, lactose intolerance surfaces. Lactose intolerance refers to the manner in which the body reacts to the consumption of milk and some foods made with milk. Chemically, milk is described as a combination of one portion galactose and one portion glucose. When milk is consumed, these two are broken down with the help of the lactase enzyme.
Age Does Matter: When researchers started studying cases of lactose intolerance reported at different locations or parts of the world, the patterns that emerged showed a slightly different picture. It is true that the age of the person diagnosed with lactose intolerance does matter. As mentioned, it can start in kids as young as 2 years, but definitely, many symptoms may appear only later in the adolescence period. But some people may develop the condition much later. This means, they might not have faced lactose intolerance to begin with, but as they grow older, their body’s ability to produce lactase may dwindle and even disappear and that is when the condition could be noticed and if left untreated, it can become serious too.
Other Factors Relating to Lactose Intolerance: While remaining with the same conviction that age is in important factor in the onset of lactose intolerance, there are other significant indicators which have relation to the genetic composition of the person. For example, in a mixed race population or country such as the US, among whites, the condition may not occur before 5 years of age, while among African-Americans, it occurs by the age of 2 years. Among the Asian population also the occurrence of lactose intolerance is very common, whereas in some European races, the condition is rarely noticed.
How to Manage with the Condition?
It can be easily diagnosed by Lactose Hydrogen breath test (LHBT). If you have already been diagnosed with lactose intolerance, there is not much you can do to improve or induce lactase secretion. The only way is to avoid milk. But there are some products such as butter and some specific types of cheese that can be consumed. Many manufacturers mark the packaging of their products to indicate if they can be consumed by people who are lactose intolerant. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Nicotine addiction or tobacco addiction refers to an acute dependence upon tobacco products primarily due to the presence of the nicotine drug. In other words, nicotine addiction refers to an inability to stop using tobacco products despite the knowledge and awareness that it is harmful to you. While nicotine only induces addiction, it is the presence of other substances in tobacco which makes it damaging and injurious to health.
Nicotine has the tendency to produce effects in the brain, both physical as well as mind altering, that give temporary satisfaction. This is precisely why people get hooked into the habit of tobacco consumption, which eventually leads to addiction. Unfortunately, stopping tobacco use immediately can also lead to several withdrawal symptoms, like agitation and restlessness.
The main reason why tobacco is so addictive is due to the fact that nicotine releases neurotransmitters such as dopamine in the reward centre of the brain, which in turn improves your mood and gives you temporary pleasure.
Causes of nicotine addiction can either be physical or behavioral, for instance situations or feelings, which make you crave for tobacco. These include:
- Specific times during the day, say after every meal or during breaks at work
- While defecating
- While drinking alcohol
- Stressful or depressive situations
- At the sight or smell of a burning cigarette
- Peer pressure
- While driving
Symptoms of nicotine addiction include:
- You are unable to quit smoking despite frequent attempts.
- You experience withdrawal symptoms after attempting to quit.
- You continue to smoke despite the awareness that it is injurious to your health.
- You forego social as well as recreational activities because of your need to smoke.
I have suffer from cold (allergy) for long time when whether change the problem occur is high level actually my nose have plunged off so kindly provide the treatment.
Cervical cancer is a kind of cancer that develops in the cervix of a woman. Cervix is an area between the uterus and vagina. It is preventable if diagnosed in early stages. Going for regular pap tests and taking a HPV vaccine can significantly lower the risk of cervical cancer. These symptoms include abnormal bleeding between menstrual periods, low back and lower abdominal pain, postcoital bleeding and strange smelling discharge. If not diagnosed in time, it can be life threatening and requires intense treatment. Following are the ways you can prevent cervical cancer.
- Prevention of cervical cancer: There is usually no certain way of preventing cervical cancer, but by following a number of practices there is a possibility that you can prevent it. There are 3 major ways of prevention of cervical cancer, which include the following:
- Safe sex: Major cases of cervical cancer are caused due to an infection by a virus known as human papillomavirus or HPV. This virus is usually transmitted by sexual means and having unprotected sex might leave you at the risk of getting infected by this virus during the sexual intercourse. You should practice safe sex using protection such as condoms. This reduces your chances of being infected by the virus. This virus is transmitted via all types of sexual contact, which includes skin contact between the genitals. People who have unprotected sex with multiple sexual partners are at an increased risk of getting cervical cancer due to the HPV virus.
- Cervical screening and vaccination: Having a cervical screening or pap smear test on a regular basis is an efficient way to detect abnormal changes in the cervix cells, at a very early stage. Even if you are being vaccinated for the HPV virus, cervical screening is essential as the vaccines against HPV virus are not always successful in providing protection from cervical cancer. If you had been previously treated for abnormal changes in the cervix cells, you should undertake more frequent screening tests. The regularity of undergoing cervical screening depends on the severity of the cell change. You should report any symptom you experience in spite of having regular cervical screening. Several vaccines are used for protection from HPV infections.
- Avoid smoking: You can prevent the chances of having cervical cancer by giving up smoking. In case of smokers, it is more difficult to eliminate the HPV infection from the body, and the chances of cervical cancer get enhanced. You can undertake various measures in order to quit smoking and prescribed medicines can be used to treat withdrawal symptoms.
Cervical cancer causes great strain on the body and it may spread all over the pelvic region. In some cases, distant tissues are also affected by cervical cancer. You should consult a doctor immediately after experiencing any symptom of cervical cancer. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.