Lybrate.com has top trusted Psychiatrists from across India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Hyderabad and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. George ReddyYour feedback matters!
What are the ways to gain confidence?. I know it is not a health related question but I want to know about it.
My friend habit of tobacco or alcohol but he willingly leave this but he not leave it so give me same ideas for this problem.
Hello mam, I am a diabetic patient, what kind of good for my health? And how to reduce stress form the mind. Give me some tips.
What are antidepressants and mood elevators?
Often depression or mood changes are caused by the imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain. Anti-depressants or mood elevators are medications that are prescribed to patients with depression to alleviate their symptoms. Anti-depressants are not solely used for the treatment of depression, it is also prescribed in other psychiatric conditions which includes anxiety disorders, social anxiety disorders, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), dysthymia (mild chronic depression) etc.
With time, the use of anti-depressants has been on the rise. Although, anti-depressants do not cure your depression, it relieves the symptoms of the same. Anti-depressants come in various types. The first one you try may not benefit you; however you must consult your doctor and find the right choice of medication for your condition.
Non-adherence to anti-depressants can have major consequences on your health. It also majorly contributes to the under treatment of anxiety and depression in maximum cases in the population. The reasons why people do not comply with their therapy or treatment are various; forgetting to take the medicine being the primary one. Other factors that contribute to non-adherence of anti-depressants include-
- Fear of addiction
- High cost of medications
- Fear of drug-induced sexual dysfunction
- Delayed onset of action of the medication
- Poor instructions and protocols given by the doctor
- Fear of side effects
Adherence to the medication with proper guidance from the doctor has seen to decrease the symptoms of depression in the patients, leading them get back to their normal life. Under-treatment of depression can become fatal. If the depression escalates, suicidal tendencies can follow. Apart from these, suddenly stopping the medication has been associated with withdrawal symptoms which can get fatal in severe cases. In recent times, depression has become a common problem with the rise of fatalities caused by depression. As important as it may be to consult a doctor to get your symptoms diagnosed and get the right treatment, it is of equal importance that one adheres to the therapy and abides by the guidelines.
My weight is 98 kg. My age is 45. I have been on medication for 8 years from reputed psychatrist. After starting medication my weight has put on. Is it true depression medicine viz flunil 25 mg. Sulfitac 50 and zolfrash. This medicine are cause of overweight. Or what else would me cause and solution for weight. My work has been very daily routine has been very heavy and busy. Though accepted excercise has been less. Please suggest.
I lost my girl friend. She was my heart and someone just took her away from me for the lifetime and I wanna suicide. Just give me a solution.
Most diseases, small or big, acute or chronic, accident or infection, have one common factor - pain. In most cases, in addition to reducing the severity of the infection or the impact to various structures from the trauma, managing pain assumes a bigger role. It is only when the pain is controlled can the bigger picture of disease management be done, as the patient would be inconsolable.
To this effect, in addition to pain killers, the most inexpensive and easily available modes of pain management are heat and cold. Though all are not aware, there are specific instances where heat and cold should be used as listed below.
Heat: Some of the common modes to heat therapy include heat pads, warm baths, paraffin wax system, hot water bottles, air-activated heat pack, or warm oils. Heat acts by improving blood circulation and nutritional supply to the body parts and is best suited for stiff joints and muscle soreness.
Some common ways to heat therapy include:
- A warm shower or bath in the morning - this will ease morning stiffness and get you ready for exercise.
- Apply a heating pad on the sore/stiff areas for up to 20 minutes - Use optimal, bearable temperature to avoid skin burns.
- Wrap the affected area for 15 to 20 minutes with a moist heat pad. A wet towel can be put in the freezer and then warmed up in the microwave. Moist heat pads are also available with local pharmacies.
- Warm mineral oils can be applied to the stiff joints of hands and legs. Leave it in place for 15 to 20 minutes before washing it off.
- For sore hand and foot joints, warm paraffin wax can be applied using the equipment available at drug stores. This will help ease the pain and soreness. Soak in a warm whirlpool.
Contrary to heat therapy, cold therapy acts by reducing blood flow to the affected area and numbing the nerve endings, thereby reducing the perception of pain. It works well for acute pain cases like fresh injuries and post-exercise inflammation.
- A cold wrap with ice cubes can be applied to the painful area for about 15 to 20 minutes. This can be repeated if required after a break.
- Alternately, a wet towel can be put in a plastic bag and kept in the freezer for 15 minutes and then used as a cold pack.
- The affected joint can be submerged in a container of ice and water.
- Cold gel packs are available at stores - these won't leak, will stay cold longer and can be easily wrapped around a joint.
Cryotherapy, as cold therapy is also called, is not as effective as heat therapy, though it does provide immediate relief.