Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Physiotherapists in India. You will find Physiotherapists with more than 30 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Physiotherapists online in Hyderabad. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. B Swathi Reddy
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Hip Disorders
Neuro Physiotherapy Treatment
Treatment of Knee Injury
Pregnancy Exercise Therapy
Treatment of Sports Injuries
Treatment of Splinting
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Heat Therapy Treatment
Post Pregnancy Classes
Orthopedic Physical Therapy
Treatment of Shin Splints
Submit a review for Dr. B Swathi ReddyYour feedback matters!
The hand movement is to a large extent controlled by the shoulder. It is a ball and socket setup where the shoulder bone has a socket, into which the upper arm bone fits in like a ball. Due to excessive movement or repetitive strain, the shoulder can be subjected to a lot of strain and stress. Shoulder pain is one of the most common symptoms, especially in sportspersons who use the hands repeatedly, like swimmers, basketball players, volleyball players, etc.
The pain in the shoulder could be due to various conditions, such as:
- Dislocation: Due to repetitive movements, the shoulder can get dislocated and cause pain. This could be an acute injury or due to repeated instability.
- Rotator cuff tear: The point of rotation for the shoulder joint can suffer a tear, leading to rotator cuff tear, which is a very common cause of shoulder pain.
- Labral tear: The ligament which connects to the upper arm bone to the shoulder socket can tear up, again leading to pain.
- Tendinitis: There could be calcium deposits within the tendon space, which also can cause shoulder pain. The severity depends on the extent of calcification.
- Arthritis: Due to old age or due to regular wear and tear, there could be arthritis of the shoulder joint, leading to pain. This could be worse at night.
- Frozen shoulder: In addition to limited movement, there is also shoulder pain with frozen shoulder.
Depending on the cause, the shoulder pain intensity can vary, the duration can vary, it can be at night or day, can be intermittent or constant. In addition to pain, there could also be:
- Inability to lift hand above the shoulder
- Inability to carry objects
- Swelling of the shoulder along with stiffness
- Deformity of the joint
Shoulder pain can be very limiting and needs to be managed. From minimally invasive to surgical options, the following are some options.
- Rest: For the pain to subside, the inflammation should subside and so rest is the first line of therapy.
- Ice/Heat: Icing the shoulder for 10 to 15 minutes every 4 to 6 hours is a great way to remove the inflammation and provide relief from pain. This can be alternated with a heated pad if one gets relief.
- Massage: Massage with herbal or pain oils is another effective way to manage pain. The herbal oils soak into the skin and provide relief from the pain.
- Exercise: Exercises to improve shoulder joint strength prove to be really effective but should only be done under supervision.
- Anti-inflammatory medications: Care should be taken they are not used long term, to avoid other effects.
- Cortisone injections: Given into the shoulder joint, these injections help reduce inflammation.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!