Diuretics are substances that allow the body to get rid of excess water and sodium. They help in draining out the water by stimulating the kidneys and eliminate sodium from the urine thus, facilitating drainage of excess water. Diuretics are prescribed by the doctor when the body starts to retain excessive fluids.
The conditions that lead to problems such as:
1. High blood pressure: This is a disorder wherein the blood exerts more than the normal force (pressure) against the arterial walls while flowing through them.
2. Diabetes: It is a metabolic disorder wherein the blood sugar level rises significantly.
3. Kidney stones: Kidney stones refer to the formation of stones in the kidneys that can hamper the normal functioning of the kidney, leading to fluid retention in the body.
4. Edema: A disorder wherein parts of the body tend to swell due to inflammation is called ‘edema’.
5. Impaired functioning of the kidney: Impaired functioning of the kidneys makes it very difficult to flush out the excess sodium from the body thus, leading to fluid retention.
There are certain natural diuretics, which can come to your aid in times such as these. Read on to know more:
1. Parsley: Parsley, a very effective diuretic, is an herb that is commonly used for garnishing. It can also help in relieving bladder problems.
2. Black and green tea: Both green and black variants of the humble tea are very effective diuretics; you can enjoy them after a heavy meal to get rid of the bloating.
3. Hawthorn: A type of natural diuretic that is effective in reducing fluid accumulation and increasing urinary excretion. It also helps in treating problems of the kidney.
4. Juniper: A diuretic that has been used since ancient times. Juniper is very effective in removing excess salt and fluids from the body. The advantage of this plant is that it does not lower downs the level of potassium in the body, a side effect of other diuretics.
Anything in excess is bad for the body. The same goes with iron, which is believed to be essential for various functions.
Hereditary hemochromatosis (HHC) is a hereditary condition where the way the body absorbs and stores iron are affected, leading to excessive iron deposits in various internal organs and leading to multiple complications. Read on to know more about this condition.
Causes: HHC is caused by the mutation (alteration) of a gene that controls the amount of iron absorbed into the body. A hormone called hepcidin is secreted by the liver and controls iron absorption and storage. In HHC, the role of hepcidin is altered, leading to excess amounts of iron absorption and storage in various major organs, especially the liver. Over time, this excess iron can cause conditions like diabetes, cirrhosis, and heart failure.
Risk Factors: The condition runs in families, and if you have a family member with known HHC, the chances of having HHC are quite high. Though the disease develops right at birth, symptoms manifest only later in life, at about 50-plus years of age. Men who carry two copies of the mutated gene and hail from Northern Europeans are more prone to develop HHC.
Symptoms: There are no specific symptoms pointing to HHC in the early stages, and these include joint pains, abdominal pain, fatigue, and weakness. Over a period of time, these can lead to associated symptoms of conditions like cirrhosis, heart failure, impotence, diabetes, etc.
Diagnosis: Blood tests are done to diagnose the amount of iron in the system. Fasting transferrin saturation and serum ferritin are two important tests, and increased transferrin saturation is very indicative of HHC. In addition, liver function tests are done to check the extent of liver damage. MRI examination also will help identify the areas of iron overload and extent of liver damage (if any). Liver biopsy can help identify iron overload and liver damage. Gene mutation tests are also useful in confirming the condition.
Depending on the excessive amount of iron deposited, phlebotomy which requires removal of iron is advised. About 400 to 500 mL of blood can be removed once a week or in two weeks.
From a prevention point of view, hepatitis A and B vaccines should be given.
In very severe cases, liver transplantation could be considered.
Monitor for other symptoms like diabetes, cirrhosis and liver failure.
In addition, once the diagnosis is confirmed and phlebotomy initiated, iron levels should be monitored periodically to ensure it is not exceeding the desired levels. This can help in the prevention of complications, which are more causes for concern than the actual HHC condition per se.
The pyramid diet was conceptualised in 1992 and it emphasises the best amount of servings to be consumed daily from the basic food groups (dairy, fruits and vegetables, grains, beans and legumes, meat, oils and fats).
The pyramid is divided into four levels. The very first level is comprised of grains, beans and legumes; the level above it is made up of fruits and vegetable; the third level from the top is composed of meat and dairy products and the very last one on top contains fats, sugars and oils.
The diet aims to divide the food groups in the above mentioned fashion to make you understand just how much to consume from each food group. Here is a breakdown of servings from each food group:
- Grains- 5 to 7 servings
- Fruits and vegetables- 2 servings of each
- Milk and dairy- 3 servings of which 1/2 serving should be dairy products
- Oils, sugar and fats- 6 teaspoons for oils and minimal servings for fats and sugars
This seems relatively easy to follow, but most people do not understand portion control. The amount or serving of food is called portion control and it is important if you want your diet to work. Here is a guideline that you can follow:
- When you are consuming one serving of grains in one sitting, you can choose to eat one cup of cereals or one slice of whole-wheat bread.
- When you are eating vegetable or fruits with your breakfast or lunch, choose one and a half cup of chopped vegetables, or one piece of orange, banana or apple.
- If you are drinking milk, then one cup of milk in one serving. And, if you are eating meat, choose one ounce of cooked fish or chicken.
- Lastly, do not go beyond one teaspoon of vegetable oil and try to keep your sugar intake to the minimum throughout the day.
The pyramid is an excellent guide to lose some weight. You just need some concentration and a ton of commitment to stick to the guide. Along with the diet, don't forget to get some exercise.
Cumin seed is a culinary herb that is local in Asia and is particularly used in India on daily basis. Cumin seeds are otherwise called jeera, caraway and kummel. It is a product of the cumin herb, however, it transforms into a seed only once it has dried. Cumin is an esteemed spice as it has numerous health advantages, usually for digestive conditions like colic, dyspepsia and flatulence. Nevertheless, consuming cumin seeds can have numerous side effects as well; so consult your specialist before you use it for medicinal purposes, as it can cause certain side effects as well, such as acidity or heartburn. Cumin seeds are known for their gas easing properties, yet it can bring about one of the most widely recognized digestive issue that is heartburn. It tends to facilitate the escape of more gas into your gastrointestinal tract. Liver damage: oil present in the cumin seeds is very unstable and can bring about liver and kidney damage, in case one consumes cumin seed in huge quantities for a long stretch of time. Cumin oil is used for animals to prevent or reduce muscle fits and spasms. Burping: the carminative impact of cumin seed may bring about excessive burping. Also, burping is sometimes referred as a ructus or belching, which includes too much bloating. Gas from the intestinal tract and stomach is released through the mouth. At times, burping has an awful smell and a trademark sound. Abortifacient effects: cumin seeds may also affect pregnant ladies. Consuming a lot of cumin seeds can prompt an unnatural birth cycle or instigate untimely or premature labor. Low blood sugar level: consuming cumin seeds in large quantities can bring down the glucose level in the body. One must remember this in case you are setting out towards a surgery in the near future. During surgery, it is crucial to keep up the glucose level. Narcotic effects: cumin seed has opiate properties. They need to be consumed with precaution, as they can be addictive. Opposite reactions of cumin seeds are mental blurring, sleepiness and nausea. Heavy menstrual cycle: cumin seeds may cause heavy bleeding during the menstrual cycle. In the event of cumin seeds being consumed in large amounts, you may experience heavier periods. Causes allergy: utilization of cumin seeds can bring about skin rashes and sensitivity. So individuals with skin sensitivity need to consume less cumin seeds to improve the condition. Not good for diabetics: diabetic patients need to control their glucose level. They must maintain regular glucose levels to stay sound. Fluctuating glucose levels are a strict no for most diabetics. As mentioned recently, cumin seeds may diminish your glucose level rapidly.
I am doing exercise in the gym for the past 1 year. And I have the doubt can I take the HGH injections. And I want to know what is its advantages and disadvantages and can I go for it? What it will do for my body any changes in face hair or other parts of the body. Thanks in advance.
I have heavy scratching on legs sugar remains around 150 fasting have nose polyps and use natural bath soaps. This problen since around 1 month, what medicine can you prescribe.
I oprated 3months before utrinfibroid hb loss how to improve hp n psycic health any exercise r yoga? Always feeling tired sleepy. N this s my 2 nd operation due to fibroid. I am married 2 kids are there my age 30. I. Am pale nowm I got 2 packcells. 2 blood injection n iron on n before surgery. But now I am again suffer the same hb problm. Regular periodic cycle started past 3 months but little blood comes 2 days only bleeding. How to improve my health.
I am suffering from sickle cell anemia. So many time I have sudden chest pain. What is the reason behind that I can't understand. I am having focal avid and hydroxuria capsule regularly. Can you solve my problem?
I heard from an ayurvedic doctor that jeera water taken with lemon juice is helpful in reducing fat. How far is it true.
I have lower respiratory track infection with type 2 respiratory failure, I got admitted in hospital. Now what is type 2? My carbon retention goes upto 89, after incubation now it is 50 with phb 7.41. No diabetes or other problem. TYPE 2 MEANING AND ADVICE ME TO FIGHT WITH COPD.
How to improve healthy sufficient energetically body by filtering the treatment by providing diabetes?
My daughter has a strong urge to eat chalk, what medicine in homeopathy/allopathy/naturopathy can she be given?
It is necessary to take medicine of diabetes necessary to take medicine of diabetes with insulin's or insulin is sufficient.
Diabetes has always been a mysterious home to many diseases. It reduces quality of erection. However, there are ways you can enhance your love life, by involving some strategies, such as:
- Approach sex like exercise: This helps prevent dreaded blood sugar lows.If you use insulin, check your blood sugar before sex and have a snack if it's low.
- Just go with it: Planning can be helpful, but don't sweat it if sex just happens.There's no reason not to grab the opportunity if it pops up just because you haven't followed your diabetes exercise routine.
- Use a lubricant: If you are a woman with vaginal dryness, a vaginal lubricant can make sex feel better. Ask your doctor about using one regularly, not just during sex.
- Prepare a sex arsenal kit: Keep anything you might need for optimal sex next to the bed.If you're a woman, you may want to have a lubricant in your kit. Feel free to include massage oils.
- Get a room: Treat yourself and your partner to a night at a local hotel.It's a great libido enhancer.Plan it days in advance.It's planning, but it's planning something fun.
- Get in some practice: If you are a man who uses a device like a vacuum pump or constriction band to help with erectile dysfunction, take time to learn how to use it right.
- Creativity is sexy: If you have trouble getting aroused, stretch beyond your go-to bedroom moves. Try out new positions. Explore different ways to climax. Most women don't climax from intercourse alone, anyway. Some men can have an orgasm from prostate stimulation.
- Limit alcohol: A little alcohol may boost your desire, but drinking can also make your blood sugar level drop quickly. If you drink alcohol, you might sip some champagne during intimacy.
- Get help for emotional issues: Depression, anxiety, poor self-image, and other emotional concerns can hurt your sex life. And if you have a partner, sex troubles can put stress on your relationship.
- Relax: How you feel about your diabetes can set the stage for sex. With diabetes, you have to expect the unexpected.
You can think of a formula in your mind for better,increased, steamier sex life.