Doctors for Tuberculous Meningitis in Sobermutt Galli, Hubli-Dharwad
ratings and reviews)
Tuberculous meningitis is an infection of the tissues covering the brain and spinal cord. This is the bacteria that cause tuberculosis (TB). The bacteria spread to the brain and spine from another place in the body. The symptoms often start slowly, and may include:
• Fever and chills
• Mental status changes
• Nausea and vomiting
• Sensitivity to light (photophobia)
• Severe headache
• Stiff neck (meningismus)
HOW IS TUBERCULOUS MENINGITIS DIAGNOSED?
A lumbar puncture (spinal tap) is an important test in diagnosing meningitis. It is done to collect a sample of spinal fluid for examination. More than one sample may be needed to make the diagnosis. Other tests that may be done include:
• Biopsy of the brain or meninges
• Blood culture
• Chest x-ray
• CSF examination for cell count, glucose, and protein
• CT scan of the head
• Gram stain, other special stains, and culture of CSF
• Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) of CSF
• Skin test for tuberculosis (PPD)
• Other tests to look for tuberculosis
HOW IS TUBERCULOUS MENINGITIS TREATED?
Tuberculous Meningitis is largely treated by prescribing medication and the treatment usually lasts for at least 12 months.
DID YOU KNOW?
If not treated on time, the consequences of this disease may be fatal and leads to coma - and eventually death.