Doctors for Nausea in Lakshmi Narayan Nagar, Hubli-Dharwad
ratings and reviews)
Nausea is the sensation of an urge to vomit. Nausea can be acute and short-lived, or it can be prolonged. When prolonged, it is a debilitating symptom. Nausea (and vomiting) can be psychological or physical in origin. It can originate from problems in the brain or organs of the upper gastrointestinal tract (esophagus, stomach, small intestine, liver, pancreas, and gallbladder). Nausea also may be caused by diseases of many organs outside of the gastrointestinal system.
HOW IS NAUSEA DIAGNOSED?
The health care provider will ask for details of medical history and symptoms. The diagnostic tests may be performed:
• Blood tests (such as CBC with differential, blood electrolyte levels, and liver function tests)
• X-rays of the abdomen
HOW IS NAUSEA TREATED?
Nausea does not always require treatment, but sometimes treatment is helpful. There are several things one can do to help, including:
• Drink beverages that settle the stomach, such as ginger ale or chamomile tea.
• Avoid caffeinated colas, coffees and teas.
• Drink clear liquids to avoid dehydration (if vomiting is associated with nausea).
• Eat small, frequent meals to allow the stomach to digest foods gradually.
• Eat foods that are bland and simple for your stomach to digest, such as crackers or unbuttered bread, rice, chicken soup and bananas.
• Avoid spicy foods and fried foods.
• over-the-counter medications
DID YOU KNOW?
Nausea can be experienced by children and adults and is a very common symptom of pregnancy.