Hypomagnesemia is a medical condition in which the magnesium levels are abnormal. Hypomagnesemia causes disturbances in many organs of the body. Magnesium is important for proper functioning of organs. Symptoms of Hypomagnesemia are:
• Muscle weakness
• Muscle tightness, tremors and twitches
• Irritability and insomnia
• Numbness and tingling
• Severe drowsiness and fatigue
• Irregular heartbeat
• Seizure and coma
HOW IS HYPOMAGNESEMIA DIAGNOSED?
The general physician would conduct a blood test to check the levels of magnesium in the body. If needed, scans would be done to check other organ damage.
HOW IS HYPOMAGNESEMIA TREATED?
Treatment depends on the type of low magnesium problem and may include:
• Fluids given through a vein (IV)
• Magnesium by mouth or through a vein
• Medicines to relieve symptoms
DID YOU KNOW?
Hypomagnesemia can occur due to diarrhoea, alcoholism and stress.