Headaches such as migraines and other types of stress based or sinus headaches are extremely painful. Headaches are a painful feeling or heaviness in the forehead or the back of the head or the entire head. Migraine headaches are a pounding headache that usually causes nausea or vomiting. Sometimes headache extends to the neck as well. Symptoms are:
• Heaviness of the head
• Throbbing pain
• Pounding pain in the head that increases while bending
HOW IS HEADACHES DIAGNOSED?
Diagnosis of headaches depends on the underlying cause. The key to diagnosing headaches is to evaluate the symptoms carefully. The general physician may check for tenderness of neck and swelling. Other diagnostic considerations are:
• Systemic symptoms like fever or weight loss
• Systemic diseases like HIV infection or malignancy
• Neurologic symptoms
• Sudden onset
• Previous headache history
HOW IS HEADACHES TREATED?
Headaches can be treated at home by getting some sleep, applying a balm on the head or even just relaxing or getting a head massage. If caused due to migraine, sinus or other problems, medicines are prescribed to relieve pain.
DID YOU KNOW?
Migraines and other types of headaches, such as tension headache and sinus headache, are painful. Migraine symptoms include a pounding headache, nausea, vomiting and light sensitivity and are treated with anti nausea drugs and abortive or preventive medications.
Pain or some sort of discomfort in the head, scalp or neck may be described as a headache. Headaches are very common among individuals and generally do not point towards any serious problems, until they persist for a long period of time. Headaches can be characterized into different types, they are-
• Tension headaches- in case of tension headaches, the pain is primarily in the temple and behind the neck. These aches are not very severe compared to migraines and can be easily treated with over the counter medication.
• Cluster headaches- More men are affected by this type of headache, as compared to women. Headaches that recur in groups are known as cluster headaches. They may occur suddenly, and cause pain on only one side of the head, along with watery eyes and nasal congestion. These headaches can lead to quite a bit of restlessness and discomfort.
• Sinus headaches- An infection can lead to a swollen sinus, which may cause pain and discomfort. A sinus headache is generally accompanied with a fever. This type of a headache is cured with the help of antibiotics.
• Rebound headaches- rebound headaches are a result of the consumption of too many medicines to cure headaches.
• Migraine headache- Headaches as a result of migraine are very common in these days, affecting both men and women. Symptoms of migraine include- headaches that last for about 4-72 hours, pain on one side of the head, a constant throbbing pain, pain that tends to hinder daily activities and cause nausea and vomiting.
Certain home remedies for headache include-
• Ginger- swelling in the blood vessels of the head is effectively reduced with the help of ginger. Ginger juice should be mixed with lemon juice and consumed at least once daily.
• Mint juice- mint contains menthol and menthone, which help in dealing with headaches. The application of mint juice on the head, extracted from mint leaves greatly help in relieving headaches.
• Peppermint oil- one of the main components of peppermint, is menthol which effectively opens up clogged blood vessels, which result in a headache. Peppermint oil also has a calming effect on the body and will help relax, especially in the case of cluster headaches.
Some headaches also occur because of sciatica, that is, lower back pain. Although pain in the lower back does not have any direct link with headaches, it may occur purely because of the mind body connection. In case of some individuals with chronic sciatica, they suffer from mind body pain syndromes, which can lead to headaches too.
Lybrate is the ideal platform through which you can connect with the top headache specialists and chiropractors to seek their advice on different type of headaches including migraine headaches. Through Lybrate you can consult the top doctors all across India. Find leading headache specialists, chiropractors and general physicians in Jaipur, Jalandhar, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Mohali etc. Lybrate.com also offers online solutions to your medical problems. Subscribe to Lybrate.com so you can consult the doctor of your choice and get effective solutions on headaches and sciatica.
Top are results of best doctors for Headaches in Belavanki. You may see the doctor reviews by their patients and their peers and choose the best doctor. You can even post a free question on Lybrate.