Doctors for Fanconi Anemia in New Cotton Market, Hubli-Dharwad
ratings and reviews)
Patient reviews for Doctors for Fanconi Anemia in New Cotton Market, Hubli-Dharwad
Lybrate User's review for Dr. Ashutosh Wahi
dr wahi marvelous his experience appear in way of asking to patient. Read more reviews
Kalmesh's review for Dr. R. V. Desai
yea it was nice meeting doctor .... was satisfied with hi consultant Read more reviews
Fanconi anemia is a disease passed down through families (inherited) that mainly affects the bone marrow. It results in decreased production of all types of blood cells. Fanconi anemia is different from Fanconi syndrome, a rare kidney disorder. Most people with Fanconi's anemia have some of these symptoms:
• Abnormal heart, lungs, and digestive tract
• Bone problems (especially the hips, spine or ribs, can causes a curved spine (scoliosis)
• Changes in the color of the skin, such as darkened areas of the skin, called café au lait spots, and vitiligo
• Deafness due to abnormal ears
• Eye or eyelid problems
• Kidney(s) that did not form correctly
• Problems with the arms and hands, such as missing, extra or misshapen thumbs, problems of the hands and the bone in the lower arm, and small or missing bone in the forearm
• Short height
• Small head
• Small testicles and genital changes
Other possible symptoms:
• Failure to thrive
• Learning disability
• Low birth weight
• Intellectual disability
HOW IS FANCONI ANEMIA DIAGNOSED?
Common tests for Fanconi anemia include:
Bone marrow biopsy
Complete blood count (CBC)
Drugs added to a blood sample to check for damage to chromosomes
Hand x-ray and other imaging studies (CT scan, MRI)
HLA tissue typing (to find matching bone-marrow donors)
Ultrasound of the kidneys
Pregnant women may have amniocentesis or chorionic villous sampling to diagnose the condition in their unborn child.
HOW IS FANCONI ANEMIA TREATED?
There is no permanent treatment for the problem of this disease and it is followed with intensive therapy for life long. Medications are given based on the extent of the condition and if they are able to control the issue. Else, Blood and Marrow Stem Cell Transplant is suggested.
DID YOU KNOW?
This is a life-threatening disease and could result in death if not treated correctly.