Eye infections occur when harmful microorganisms bacteria, fungi and viruses invade any part of the eyeball or surrounding area. This includes the clear front surface of the eye (cornea) and the thin, moist membrane lining the outer eye and inner eyelids (conjunctiva).
HOW IS EYE INFECTION DIAGNOSED?
The eye specialist will conduct a physical examination and ask for details of medical history and other symptoms. He may take a sample from the affected area of your eye for a culture to assess the exact type of infection
HOW IS EYE INFECTION TREATED?
Treatment for eye infection depends on the type of infection and the underlying cause. Artificial tears may help infections that cause a dry eye. For infections caused by virus or bacteria, antibiotic dosage may be required.
DID YOU KNOW?
Hand-washing is extremely important in preventing the spread of organisms that can cause infection. Sharing of towels, pillow cases, wash clothes, and makeup should always be avoided to prevent spread of an eye infection.
Infection in the eye occurs when harmful micro organisms like viruses or fungi enter the area surrounding the eyeball. It also includes the front surface of the eye i.e. the cornea and the wet membrane between the inner eyelids and outer eye. Eye disease can cause many problems like pain or blurred vision and you should consult your doctor for medical examination.
Some commonly known eye diseases are given below:
1. Glaucoma is an infection that can damage the optic nerve in your eyes and can make your vision blurred. Glaucoma is inherited from someone in your family and only shows up over the passage of time, later in your life. Glaucoma can cause total loss of vision if left untreated, due to the enormous pressure exerted on the optic nerve which in turn transmits images in your brain. Glaucoma is a serious eye disease and it is always recommended for you to get an eye test done if you are near to 40 years old and also have someone with glaucoma in your family.
2. You may have some imperfection at the cornea or at its curvature leading to an irregular shape which may lead to cornea astigmatism. Astigmatism like glaucoma is also inherited and people are born with varied shapes of cornea and as such one may require a proper eye test to verify the condition of your cornea. It is advisable to wear glasses to avoid any damage to the eye.
3. Conjunctivitis is the inflammation in the clear tissue over the white side or part of your eye and within the lines of the eyelid. Conjunctivitis can also be called the “pink eye” due to the color of your eye turning pink on confronting this eye disease. The eye disease is caused due to virus and bacteria such as the Chlamydia virus. Sometimes shampoo and smoke dust can cause conjunctivitis or other eye diseases and you may have to wear glasses to avoid any further damage to your eye. But conjunctivitis is not inherited like glaucoma and it can be easily treated. It is advised to wear glasses when you have this eye disease so that the strain on your eyes is reduced while you are on medication.
4. Cataract is a situational eye disease when the protein formation on your eye makes it cloudy and you are unable to see and have proper vision. This is due to the fact that in cataract eye disease, the cloudy formation can make lighting pass through our eye lens to be difficult and thus may lead to loss of vision. You will require cataract surgery to get back normal vision. Cataract affects nearly half of people at the age of 65 and cataracts are of four prominent types. Those types of cataracts which require cataract surgery are:
1. Age related cataracts- Happens due to aging in most of the cases.
2. Traumatic cataracts- Due to a severe injury or sudden illness.
3. Secondary cataracts – Happens due to other severe medical illness like diabetes or drugs in medication. Cataract also happens due to exposure to radiation or ultraviolet light. It may require you to consult your ophthalmologist to undergo cataract surgery.
4. Congenital cataracts- If you are born with cataracts due to some illness or some childhood development.
You won’t be able to lead a normal life and complete important professional tasks if you are unable to see properly. Lybrate gives you the ultimate chance to contact the best optometrists and ophthalmologists who will give you the best consultation in the industry. Lybrate offers you the best medical practitioners related to eye disease treatment or cataract surgery procedure in Ghaziabad, Gurgaon, Indore, Jaipur, Jalandhar. Subscribe to Lybrate to know more about eye glasses and lenses.
You can consult doctors online for Eye Infection from anywhere, anytime at Lybrate. View consultation fee, reviews and patient feedback before consulting. Find best doctors in Anand Nagar, Anchatgere, Bammapur oni, Belavanki, Bhabani Nagar, Bhavani Nagar and in any other locality in Hubli-Dharwad.
You can see above a list of top doctors in Unaki, Hubli-Dharwad for Eye Infection. Ask a question for free at Lybrate today and receive answers from best doctors.