Doctors for Drug Allergy in Kundgol Cross, Hubli-Dharwad
ratings and reviews)
Drug Allergy is a condition in which the body’s immune system reacts abnormally to a medication or drug. Though the substance may be harmless, the immune system overreacts to the substance, triggering an allergic reaction. Certain drugs like penicillin, anticonvulsants, aspirin and monoclonal antibody drugs are likely to produce allergic reactions than others. Symptoms of drug allergy are:
• Skin rashes, specifically hives
• Respiratory problems
• Upset stomach
• Hair loss
HOW IS DRUG ALLERGY DIAGNOSED?
General physician may conduct a detailed analysis of your symptoms and your medical history. Immunologists are often referred to in order to determine specific drug allergies. Diagnosing the drug that causes allergy by an immunologist helps patients to avoid the drug in future
HOW IS DRUG ALLERGY TREATED?
Treatment may include:
• Antihistamines to relieve mild symptoms such as rash, hives, and itching
• Bronchodilators such as albuterol to reduce asthma-like symptoms (moderate wheezing or cough)
• Corticosteroids applied to the skin, given by mouth, or given through a vein (intravenously)
• Epinephrine by injection to treat anaphylaxis
DID YOU KNOW?
Penicillin and other similar antibiotics are the drugs most people are allergic to. Other meds commonly found to cause allergic reactions include sulfa drugs, barbiturates, anti-seizure drugs, and insulin. Most drug allergies respond to treatment. However sometimes they can lead to severe asthma, anaphylaxis, or death.