Doctors for Alcoholic Liver Disease in Anand Nagar, Hubli-Dharwad
ratings and reviews)
Patient reviews for Doctors for Alcoholic Liver Disease in Anand Nagar, Hubli-Dharwad
Kalmesh's review for Dr. R. V. Desai
yea it was nice meeting doctor .... was satisfied with hi consultant Read more reviews
ALCOHOLIC LIVER DISEASE
Alcoholic liver disease may occur after prolonged drinking for years that includes cirrhosis and scarring of organ. Symptoms include fatigue, poor appetite, nausea, pain in abdomen, change in skin color, redness on hands, impotence in men, abnormal bleeding in women, and pale colored stool.
HOW IS ALCOHOLIC LIVER DISEASE DIAGNOSED?
Diagnosis of the disease is done by conducting complete blood count, liver biopsy, coagulation studies, and liver function tests. Imaging diagnostics include abdominal CT scan and ultrasound.
HOW IS ALCOHOLIC LIVER DISEASE TREATED?
While there is no absolute cure for alcoholic liver disease, the topmost treatment is to reduce or completely stop the intake of alcohol. Additionally, medications along with ayurvedic and homeopathic remedies can prove to be helpful. In severe cases, a liver transplant becomes mandatory.
DID YOU KNOW?
Overweight individuals who consume excessive alcohol are more likely to suffer from ALD.
Liver is the second most important organ in your body and liver problems can cause serious damage to your life. The main function of liver in your body is to filter the blood toxins, break the proteins and secretion of bile to help our body absorb fats. The over consumption of alcohol results in the damage to the liver and viral hepatitis is the main cause of damage. Over the years many people have lost their lives due to liver failure as acetaldehyde damages the liver. Acetaldehyde is the toxic material present in alcohol. Though your liver can repair the damage and is very good at regenerating, but the matter of fact that with three quarter of damage to your liver can still make it function properly. Long term consumption of alcohol can cause liver cirrhosis and it is the considered an end stage of liver disease.
The following are the factors that can increase the chances of liver disease
1. Gender- It must be noted by you that women have lesser power to metabolize alcohol than men and hence more susceptible to alcoholic liver disease. Alcohol can damage the liver function more in women
2. Hepatitis C- If you have history of hepatitis than you have more risks associated with alcohol related liver failure
3. Diet of alcoholics matter as they eat poorly which increase liver disease
4. Iron content overload
Alcohol liver disease has three major stages and those are:
1. Alcohol fatty liver- Heavy drinking can cause the accumulation of fatty acid in your liver. Fatty liver as it is called can make you experience weakness, abdominal pain, appetite loss and unwell feeling called malaise.
2. Liver cirrhosis- this is life threatening condition of liver failure and you must stop the consumption of alcohol and go to your health advisor. The damage due to liver cirrhosis is irreversible and longer you stay away from alcohol, the better will your liver function improve. You may also in other extreme cases need a liver transplant to survive. Around 10 -20 per cent of people develop liver cirrhosis due to consumption of alcohol.
In early stage of liver cirrhosis you will feel weak and lose weight. Pain in abdomen and loss of appetite are the other effects of liver cirrhosis.
In the final stages or end stage of liver cirrhosis you will experience hair loss, dark urine, walking problems and changes in personality.
There is another stage called alcohol hepatitis, in which there is inflammation of the liver which can be recovered if you abstain from drinking. In the case of alcohol hepatitis you will have to abstain from alcohol for years to avoid any liver problems.
The damage to liver is sometimes irreversible and can cause death. Lybrate gives you the ultimate chance to contact the best hepatologists who will give you the best consultation in the industry. Lybrate offers you the best medical practitioners related to liver problems and liver failure in Noida, Panchkula, Patna, Rajkot, Surat. Subscribe to Lybrate to know more about cirrhosis and fatty liver.
Top are results of best doctors for Alcoholic Liver Disease in Anand Nagar. You may see the doctor reviews by their patients and their peers and choose the best doctor. You can even post a free question on Lybrate.