Doctors for TMJ Disorders in Anand Nagar, Hubli-Dharwad
ratings and reviews)
The term TMJ Disorders is used for expressing a set of disorders of the temporomandibular joint. Basically this is a joint that connects your jaw to the temporal bones of the skull. Any sort for problem associated with this joint are termed as TMJ disorders. It includes but is not restricted to trouble in talking, chewing, moving your jaws or even swallowing. The symptoms start right below the ears. There is a kind of lock in this area followed with tenderness.
HOW IS TMJ DISORDERS DIAGNOSED?
In order to diagnose TMJ disorders, a general physician will evaluate the jaw bone completely and observe its range of motion. He may press on areas around your jaw to identify pain areas. Dental x-rays and a CT scan will help for definitive diagnosis.
HOW IS TMJ DISORDERS TREATED?
The various treatments may include the following:
• Dental splint (occlusal splint or stabilization splint or bite guard), which is a dental appliance placed in the mouth that keeps the teeth in alignment and prevents tooth grinding.
• Botox may be used to relax the muscles of the jaw.
• Physical therapy with jaw exercises can strengthen muscles, improve flexibility, and range of motion.
• Biobehavioral management (biofeedback, cognitive behavioral therapy [CBT]) may help diminish pain intensity.
• Trigger point acupuncture can sometimes be helpful.
• In severe cases, surgery on the jaw or dental surgery may be necessary.
DID YOU KNOW?
Complications of long-term TMJ syndrome include chronic face pain or chronic headaches. In severe situations, where pain is chronic, or associated with other inflammatory disorders, long-term treatment may be necessary.