Doctors in Medanta Hospital
Treatment of Acidity
Treatment of Bronchiectasis
Treatment of Abdominal Pain
Treatment of Swelling
Treatment of Asthma
Treatment of Hemorrhoids
Treatment of Kidney Stones
Treatment of Jaundice
Treatment of Tuberculosis
Treatment of Colic
Knee Pain Treatment
Treatment of Black eye
Treatment of Hernia
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Submit a review for Medanta HospitalYour feedback matters!
If the children do not get sufficient amount of sleep at night, then their health will start getting deteriorated slowly. According to the medical surveys, it has been discovered that kids need much more sleep than adults.
It is pretty impossible to maintain kids' health without proper sleep at night. The kids will get tired soon and will lack in energy because of poor sleep.
Why sleep is important for kids' health?
- Growth promotion: Growth process might get retarded as a result of less hours of sleep. If the kids
stop growing, then their health cannot be maintained.
- Proper weight maintenance: If the kids lack in proper sleep, then their weight might get decreased slowly. A good sleep of at least 10 hours a day is necessary for maintaining weight of children so that great health can be acquired.
- Boosting internal energy: More energy will be generated so that daily activities can be performed with ease. The stamina level of kids can also be boosted as well.
- Growing improved bed-time habits: Bed-time habits can be properly scheduled with good sleep. If the sleep routine is not properly maintained, then the health condition of the kids will be adversely affected. Sleep can be audited properly, and your kids can grow fast.
- Promotes learning process: The kids can get an improved learning process by means of having good amount of sleep. If you want to make your kids learn new things or habits, then for that sufficient sleep during the night is needed.
- Increase in attention and concentration: Mental strength of kids can be increased along with the increase in concentration and attention level. This is very much essential for maintaining studies and daily activities.
- Reduction of injury risk: Immunity system of kids can be boosted to a great extent with proper sleep as a result of which the risks of physical and mental injuries can be reduced. In fact, severe kinds of heart diseases can also be prevented by means of having a good sleep at night.
Sleeping schedules for kids
- Pre-schoolers need almost 10-13 hours of sleep.
- For newborns, 14-17 hours sleep is appropriate.
- Infants need a sleep for almost 12-15 hours.
- Young adults are in need of at least 7-9 hours of sleep.
- Teenagers need 8-10 hours night-time sleep.
- For school-going kids, 9-11 hours sleep is needed.
The urinary tract starts from the kidneys to the urethra where urine is passed out. Given the rich concentration of minerals and toxic wastes, it is highly prone to multiple infections. UTI, as urinary tract infections are often referred to, is one of the most common infections. In women, especially, every 1 in 2 women is affected by an UTI. Whichever part of the tract is affected, the symptoms and treatment are mostly the same. Read on to know some of the most common symptoms and treatment options for these.
- A burning sensation with urination
- Pain with urination
- Burning sensation or pain in the urethra or vagina
- Frequent urge to urinate, though not much urine is passed out
- Sense of incomplete emptying of the bladder
- Pain in the lower back on the sides of the spine
- Change in the urine characteristics color, smell, or appearance
- Fever or chills, maybe associated with shivering, nausea and vomiting
Most urinary tract infections are bacterial in nature, and these could find their way into the body through multiple ways.
- The most common is through the urethra, which could happen due to unclean toilet habits.
- Women especially are advised to wipe the urethra after each toilet visit. The bacteria from the feces can also enter the urethra due to close proximity
- Use of unclean public toilets is another reason for UTIs
Though most often UTI does not require specific testing, the following are useful in confirming the diagnosis.
- Culture and sensitivity: The urine is sent for a culture to identify the exact organism that has caused the infection. It also helps identify the right antibiotic which will help bring the infection under control.
UTIs are very common infections and though there is nothing to worry, it should be cleared completely.
- Antibiotic course to get rid of the infection. Though you begin to feel better, the complete course should be completed to clear the infection.
- Following culture testing to ensure the infection is cleared
- Improve water intake to get rid of the toxins
- Fever and pain to be controlled with medications
- Healthy hygiene habits to ensure clearing of infection
Recurrent UTIs is a common problem, and the following can help prevent.
- Ensure complete emptying of the bladder
- Drink adequate water
- Safe toilet habits, including before and after sex
- Comfortable and clean underwear to prevent infection
Gout is a form of arthritis and occurs because of excessive uric acid in the body. There are proteins in the diet known as purines, and when they are metabolised, uric acid is released. When there is an excessive amount of purines in the diet, the body is unable to metabolise all of the produced uric acid. This excessive production or repaired metabolism can lead to gout. These get deposited in the joints as crystals in various joints, especially of the big toe.
- The joints, most frequently the big toe, are painful, swollen, red, and very warm to the touch
- The big toe is known as podagra
- The pain is a strong, shooting pain, very severe in nature
- The patient’s description is very diagnostic of gout
- Other joints could be affected including ankles, knees, and hands
Gout, as seen from above, is not just excessive uric acid in the body. There could be various reasons leading to this problem. Therefore, homoeopathy believes that the underlying problem needs to be evaluated and treated for the symptoms to disappear. The following are some commonly used remedies:
- Useful in both acute and chronic cases of gout
- Intense pain in the big toe, where the patient would not allow touching it
- The toe is stiff, swollen, red, and hot
- The pain is worse at night and during warm weathers
- The patient also may feel feverish and cold internally
- These patients usually have offensive urine, which is evident from a distance
- The urine may be brown in colour.
- The pain in the great toe is tearing, and the knees may also be affected, which also are painful and swollen.
- Any movement causes a cracking sound which increases with movement.
- The patient likes to keep the affected area covered, and opening it to air may worsen the symptoms.
- Useful in females, who may also have other feminine disorders (for instance, uterine issues) in addition to gout
- The toes and heels will have shooting pain which is worse in warm surroundings
- The affected joints also appear red and shining.
These people present with warm, bright yellow or blood red urine with sediments that could be red/reddish yellow.
- The pain travels from down below, for instance, starts with the feet and moves up to the knees and the limbs
- Small joints like the ball of the great toe and ankles are more affected by lack of warmth and inability to tolerate warmth
- Applying a cold towel or cloth may help relieve the pain.
The incidence of pain and lumps in the breast is on the rise. Breast cancer has grown in incidence over the years. More women are getting diagnosed with it, and the age at which they are being diagnosed has reduced too. Therefore, preventative checks and screenings have gone up significantly. The number of women diagnosed with small lumps has gone up drastically. The good thing is that since these are diagnosed in the early stages, the treatment is simpler and the prognosis far better than women who get diagnosed much later in life.
In a majority of cases, once a lump is identified the most preferred treatment is removal. This is known as lumpectomy. However, before a final decision is made to remove the lump, there are certain tests that are run by the doctor to confirm the diagnosis and extent of spread.
- A thorough breast exam to identify if this is an isolated lump or if there are more lumps in either breast. The exact shape and size of the lump also need to be identified so that treatment can be planned accordingly.
- Imaging to see if the lymph nodes have been involved. In most cases, there could be spread to the lymph nodes in the armpits which also need to be removed if required. If the lump is too big or too many in number, then a mastectomy may be required instead of a lumpectomy. This requires removal of the entire breast tissue on one or both sides (rarely) along with involved lymph nodes.
Pre-surgery: Once the diagnosis is confirmed, then the doctor will plan treatment. Prior to the surgery,
- Talk to your doctor about your other medical conditions and medications and allergies, if any
- Gynecologic history is very important to be discussed in detail
- Blood thinners have to be stopped prior to the surgery
- Post-surgery care needs to be planned, including a caretaker for a few days and postop care
- Lumpectomy or mastectomy is often done under general anaesthesia
- This requires hospitalization and carries the risks associated with anaesthesia
- The outlined breast tissue or complete breast and surrounding lymph nodes will be removed. The area will be closed using sutures and bandaged
- The wound needs to heal, and so postop care is very important
- For the first few days, painkillers and antibiotics are used to control pain and infection
- As a follow-up, some women may require radiation therapy to contain the suspicious tissue that may be left behind after lumpectomy
- If extensive breast tissue was removed, some women may prefer to have reconstructive surgery done
- Remember that lumpectomy is not a definitive procedure, and there could be cases that require a repeat operation
- Less invasive compared to a mastectomy
- The appearance of the breast is minimally affected, and symmetry is maintained
- May not ensure complete removal
- May require additional radiation therapy
- May require repeat surgery
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
A red eye is one of the first and most common symptoms of conjunctivitis. Conjunctivitis is the inflammation of the tissue that lies over the white part of the eye and lines the inner side of the eyelid. It is usually the result of a viral infection and can easily spread from one person to another. Conjunctivitis can also be a symptom of STDs like gonorrhea or Chlamydia. In newborns, conjunctivitis can be vision threatening while in grownups it is not considered a serious health risk.
The symptoms of conjunctivitis differ according to the cause of the infection. Some common symptoms of conjunctivitis are:
* Green or white discharge from the eye
* Redness of the white part of the eye
* Inflammation of the eye lid
* Waking up to crusted yellow discharge
* Itchiness and burning in the eyes
* Increased sensitivity to light
* Blurred vision
An eye examination and testing a sample of the fluid secreted by the eye can be used to diagnose conjunctivitis. It can easily be treated at home and does not require hospitalization. Antibiotics are often given in the form of eye drops and ointments to treat conjunctivitis. These usually need to be applied 3-4 times a day for a period of 5-6 days. Wash your eyes before putting the eye drops. Once applied, close your eyes and roll the eyeball around to distribute the medicine and keep it from overflowing out of the eye. Wash your hands immediately after applying the eye drops.
Viral conjunctivitis is highly contagious. If you are suffering from it, you should take a few days off work and restrict your social interactions. Wash your hands frequently as you may unconsciously rub your eyes. This is especially important with regards to meals and finger foods. Also, avoid sharing towels, pillow cases etc to minimize the transmission of the disease from one person to another.
Avoid using makeup while being treated for conjunctivitis. With conjunctivitis, the eye is more sensitive to irritants and thus a speck of makeup can worsen the situation. Also avoid contacts. If you wear contacts regularly, dispose the current set and start using a fresh set after your doctor gives you a clean chit.
Artificial tears or non prescription eye drops can also be used to relieve the itchiness and burning in the infected eye. If only one eye had been affected by conjunctivitis, do not use the same eye drop bottle for both eyes.
It's that time of the years again when you have to add the candles over your cake. only this time you've reached an age when you are wondering how many should you actually put there. Aging tends to catch up with us all, or does it? How do some people continue looking like a million bucks while others end up looking twice their age? There are several beauty and anti-aging products in the market that promise to renew you youth and wipe of the years from your face. Before you try those, take time out to try out these tips to slow aging.
To slow down aging is not only about looking young but also feeling young and having a longer, more enjoyable quality of life. A healthier and better you is definitely a younger you. Here's how you can get there:
- Water is the secret sauce: We've heard it a hundred times that having 8 glasses of water a day can do us good but this is one reason that is going to get you running to that jug in your kitchen much faster. Human body s made of 60% water and it is a key ingredient to keep our organs functioning smooth. It'll improve your digestive system, keep your bowels running up and smooth, help flush out toxins from the body and improve the moisture content in your skin which in turn will keep it soft and supple. The trick is to also know when to have water. Starting your day with a couple of glasses of luke warm water and never have it with your meals.
- Live happier: Life is a constant struggle. From unexpected changes to life-altering moments, we constantly face stress, tension and sometimes depression. Those who we know living a happy life also face the same situations. The difference is how they choose to find happiness despite facing adversities. Stress speeds up the aging process. When you are stressed, it creates an imbalance of hormones causing collateral damage. To cut down stress, spend more time doing things that make you happy. Choose a hobby like painting or stress busters like yoga and exercise.
- Eat fruits & vegetables: It is important to eat the right serving of fruits and vegetables daily, as they are rich source of vitamins and minerals and protect your skin from free radicals and cellular damage. From cucumber and tomato to fruits like papaya, each provides it own set of exfoliating benefits, which firm up your skin, improve your complexion, get rid of fine lines and slow down aging naturally.
Each and every man wants to increase his libido and sex drive to give a better performance and give a satisfying experience to his partner. But various factors such as stress, depression and hormonal imbalance can lead to a lack of desire for lovemaking. These factors can also affect fertility in the future, and it is important to understand what alters fertility and the causes of infertility to solve this problem. The good news is, libido and sex drive can be enhanced by a wide range of natural Viagra foods, and there is no need to depend on Viagra or other male enhancement pills because of latest Ayurveda Viagra.
How could homeopathic remedies help you?
Homeopathy is considered as very effective and safe mode of treatment which does not have any side effects on the body like other medicines. In homeopathy, it works from the root of the problem, cure the problem so that, there won't be any scope of it to happen again.
Sexual function is a complex interaction involving a number of neurotransmitters and hormones, and you are turned on only when there is a balance between inhibitory and excitatory pathways in the brain.
Premature Ejaculation is associated with several factors such as erectile dysfunction, stress, anxiety, relationship problems and some biological causes. The homeopathic medicines are very effective and work from the basic level of the problem and cure it, right from the roots.
The homeopathic medicines are very easy to take and the person does not become habitual of it. Homeopathic medicines to increase sex time do not have any harmful effects on the male reproductive system. There are several medicines in the homeopathy to avoid premature ejaculation and give you some extra time in bed with your partner.
Homeopathy works by stimulating the body’s own healing system. Your homeopath will prescribe medicines only after a thorough evaluation of your case to find out the cause and extent of your loss of libido. They will definitely ask you questions regarding your intimacy with your partner. For example, they may ask you questions like ‘Do you feel lazy to initiate sex?’ or ‘How’s your relationship with your partner?’ or even ‘Does your partner work hard to arouse you?’
You may have to get tests done to rule out diseases such as diabetes, thyroid, or hormonal imbalance. Significant loss of erection in men and neurological symptoms in women need further investigations.
Low sex drive can be present even without underlying diseases. Homeopathy can treat such cases also.
How soon can you expect to see results?
Prescribing a homeopathic remedy for your low libido can take a little more time than prescribing treatment in allopathy. This is because the remedy you are given has to match the symptoms you experience and your state of mind.
Since homeopathic prescriptions are individualized, you need to ask your homeopath as to when you can expect to see results. However, once relief is felt you should stop taking them. And if you don’t feel relief over a certain period of time, that means, you are probably taking the wrong homeopathic remedy.
Some tips and tricks:
- Talk openly with your partner about your sexual dysfunction
- Daily exercise is helpful to increase sexual drive
- Try to keep your body free from obesity
- Take a balanced diet filled with plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit
- Learn to relax and de-stress by meditating
- Stop smoking
- Alcohol has bad affects to sexual function and desire
- Try to reduce the drinking of alcohol
- Avoid illegal and powerful sexual drugs
Asthma is a painful pulmonary disease that is usually caused due to inflammation of the air passages. The tubes that help us breathe in and out can get contaminated with pollutants and allergens like dust, smoke, pet hair, pollen and nettle, amongst various other substances. This can lead to coughing, shortness of breath, chest pain due to breathing difficulties and wheezing as the lungs try to get more oxygen which cannot pass through the swollen airways. This is usually characterised as asthma. In recent times, there has been a worrying increase in child asthma. Read on to find ways in which this can be treated.
Symptoms: Treating breathing difficulties is the first and foremost way of treating asthma in children. This is especially important because of the oxygen requirement for normal and proper development of the brain and rest of the body.
Long Term Medication: Inhaled Corticosteroids which act to combat inflammation and reduce the same, can be used by children. Also, leukotriene modifiers can be used along with these inhalers. But one must be careful of psychological reactions like aggression during the use of this medicine. Combination inhalers can also help in tackling agonists that can trigger severe and potentially fatal asthmatic attacks. Theophylline is another drug that can be taken on a daily basis to keep the bronchial tubes or air passages open.
Quick Relief Medication: Albuterol, pirbuterol, and levalbuterol are some of the medicines that can be used in the short term for quick and instant relief. Yet, there is no guarantee that the symptoms will not return and there is still a need for a child to undergo focussed and long term medication to alleviate the risk of severe attacks.
Immunotherapy: Asthmatic attacks that are caused due to the allergens like pollen, dust, smoke, nettle, pet hair, and other similar substances, will need a series of injections that contain a small measure of the allergens so that the immune system is strengthened. This will ensure that the child's allergic reactions and subsequent asthma attacks will gradually decrease.
Devices: Medication delivery devices like inhalers that will give you a measured dose, dry powder inhalers as well as nebulizers, will take the medication straight to the lungs for asthma relief and control.
Long terms diseases like asthma can greatly affect the growth and immunity of a child, which is why it is important to prevent and treat such attacks. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a General Physician.
Asperger's Syndrome or Asperger's Disorder is a neurotypical condition that affects the development of the child the effects of which continue into adulthood. This condition typically shows up as difficulties faced by the patient when it comes to social interactions as well as other nonverbal means of communication. It should not be confused with autism as the patient has no speech and cognitive development delay.
Asperger's syndrome can show up as restricted and repetitive patterns in the behaviour of the patient. It lies at the higher end of the autism spectrum and the signs are usually less obvious.
Here are a few ways with which you can effectively deal with someone who is suffering from this disorder:
- Routine: The patient suffering from this condition will need a certain kind of stability as it is very difficult to predict what will happen in the near future or to even plan for it. The best way to tackle this scenario is with the help of a proper routine that can help the patient achieve some kind of control over the situation surrounding him or her so that he or she is better equipped and more capable of handling normal functioning and social situations as well.
- Information: It is also a good idea to help these patients in looking at and in processing information. While normal people may easily be able to discard insignificant or unimportant information, the brain of the patient suffering from asperger's syndrome does not allow him or her to do so. In many cases, the patient is not able to filter the important and the unimportant information. This can debilitate many functions. So, it is important to be present to help the patient in making decisions and processing information that is actually relevant to his or her functioning.
- Learning: One of the most crucial things to remember with the Asperger's patient is that they tend to understand and process things when they have a visual presentation rather than being told verbally. So showing them things practically in the proper manner is the right way to help them learn and process situations in a correct way. This will prevent them from doing things in the same old way even when their brains tell them that it will lead to wrong results.
- Physical Abilities: Poor motor skills as well as lack of proper organisation skills are traits that usually characterise these patients. It is important to make them aware of this during games and activities that require management as well as use of social skills. For example, football and other such activities can be introduced in the routine. This will promote interaction with the team in order to play and enjoy the game.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Irritable bowel syndrome which is referred to as IBS, in short, is a set of health symptoms that occur at the same time. These symptoms include abdominal pain, changes in bowel movements such as diarrhoea and constipation. You may experience these symptoms in the digestive tract without noticing any visible signs. An irritable bowel syndrome is a disorder that occurs as a result of interactions with the brain and the gut; this is related to functional gastrointestinal disorders. Therefore, irritable bowel syndrome is a type of functional gastrointestinal disorder. The problems can result in the gut-turning extremely sensitive. This alters how the muscles contract in the bowel movements. There are certain home remedies that you can adopt in order to gain some relief from irritable bowel syndrome which is as follows:
- A Fiber-Rich Diet: Fiber-rich food items can provide relief from a case of constipation. But at the same time it can cause gas, and in case you are a person already suffering from gas, it will increase it. It can lead to cramping as well. Once you start having fiber-rich food items such as beans, vegetables and fruits, try to gradually increase the amount in your daily diet. If you want to avoid the discomforting feeling of bloating and gas you can take fiber supplements instead. Also, make sure that stay miles away from food items that show even the slightest chance of triggering your symptoms.
- Time Matters: Skipping meals is never a good idea when it comes to your health. Also, make sure that you eat your meals at a fixed time every day. This practice will keep your bowel in proper functioning order. For patients suffering from frequent episodes of diarrhoea, eating small portions of food every few hours is a good option and for people suffering from constipation eating bigger portions of high-fiber foods will be extremely beneficial to facilitate smooth movement of the food through the intestines.
- Exercise Every Day: Exercising every day is a very healthy practice that ensures a healthy mind and body. Exercising not only stimulates body functions such as contractions of the intestines but also de-stresses you and relieves you from depressive thoughts.
- Include Probiotics: According to recent studies, it has been found that Probiotics can aid in providing relief from symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Probiotics are termed as ‘good bacteria’ that normally reside in the intestines and can also be found in yoghurt. There are also dietary supplements available that contain a considerable amount of Probiotics.