Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced IVF Specialists in India. You will find IVF Specialists with more than 30 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find IVF Specialists online in Gurgaon and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Shalini Jain Nawal
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment of Infertility
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Treatment of Gynae Problems
Treatment of Infertility in Women
Pregnant Women Counseling
Artificial Insemination Treatment
Fertilisation In Vitro - Embryo Transfer (Ivf - Et
Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (Icsi) Procedure
Donor Insemination Surrogacy Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. Shalini Jain NawalYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
I am extremely surprised at the amount of knowledge Dr shalini has on asthma and allergies.she is undoubtedly the best
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Shalini Jain Nawal to be very helpful. Thank you so much
Excellent service excellent job humane attitude
it's vary good hospital
Dr very good
Rajendra Kumar Singh
Mohammad Kashif Lari
Healthy body and lifestyle is a dream for many but this can surely be achieved by making some slight modifications in our diets and daily living.
As we all know that IVF stands for In vitro fertilisation. It is a method of stimulating the ovaries in a female body, to release an ovum (egg), which is taken out of the body and fertilised artificially in the laboratory with the help of a sperm. After this, the embryo is transferred back to the uterus where it grows and develops naturally.
Understanding the Procedure
- The doctor attempts to have complete control over your menstrual and ovulation cycles, so as to know the correct time of the month when you ovulate. This includes, charting basal body temperatures, hormonal therapy drugs etc.
- Frequent blood tests, ultrasound will be required to map the progress of ovulation.
- Injections, drugs will be prescribed in required dosage to stimulate the ovaries.
- During this time, the doctors will monitor the growth of oocytes (eggs).
- After a suitable growth of the oocytes follicles, the eggs are retrieved for artificial insemination. (Fertilisation with the use of sperm cells in the laboratory).
- After the successful fertilisation, the embryo is transferred back to the uterus.
Can IVF have side effects?
- As a side effect it has a major chance of multiple pregnancies. People intending to have just one child, may not be mentally or economically prepared to take the responsibility of more than one child.
- The drugs and medicines used throughout the IVF procedure may create hormonal complications in the long run. It bears a risk of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, if the mother has to go through the cycle multiple times.
But it offers a number of benefits too...
- IVF increases the chance of pregnancy by a large percentage. It is one of the most successful methods of boosting fertility and pregnancy.
- Couples, who have repeatedly failed to bear children naturally, can opt for this treatment to produce their own offspring.
- In case the couples are completely infertile, donor eggs or sperms may be used in the process. However, in that case, the offspring will not bear the DNA of both parents.
- IVF can greatly reduce the chance of surgery on the fallopian tubes.
- IVF also provides an opportunity to choose the healthiest embryos before implanting it back in the uterus. A procedure, known as the pre-implantation genetic diagnosis, determines the presence of any abnormal genes or other chromosomal absurdity.
- The procedure of IVF has a very high success rate and with technological advancements in the field of medicine, it has also become much safer.
- IVF allows women, who go into premature menopause, to be able to bear a child. This treatment is mostly for women who decide to experience motherhood at a slightly older age.
- IVF allows same sex partners and single women to bear an offspring.
- It is extremely helpful for women who have their fallopian tubes damaged, blocked or surgically removed.
Life is always filled with unexpected turn of events. Who would love life if the next day can be predicted? But one loves to control certain things in life. One such is having a control over the number of kids in the family. Unwanted pregnancies can be stopped by sterilization. Every couple has the plan for the number of kids in the family. You may think you have achieved the target and would love to stay safe. But the family goals can change, and there can be some pressing need for another baby. Do not worry, if you are in the same boat. Your sterilization is not an evergreen end card for pregnancy. It can be reversed. When you want to have a child after tubal sterilization, you can either reverse it or go for IVF. You need to weigh the options, and to do this, you need to know more about them.
Tubal reversal: This is a short stay procedure, mostly an outpatient procedure. The connection between the tubal segments is restored with micro-surgery technique. Any surgery can create complications and here too, the chances of infection and poor tissue healing are there. Damage to the Fallopian tubes, uterus, side walls of the uterus, and ovaries can occur. The recovery time is short, but can extend in case any of these complications arise. There is also a risk of a tubal pregnancy. It has to be understood that not all tubal sterilizations can be reversed. When tubal reversal is carried out, your doctor asks to bring the pathology reports of the sterilization process, and also the semen test results of your partner. This is because when sperm count is abnormally low, your chance of getting pregnant is very low. When you rule out the most significant male factor, there are risks of wasting money in reversal and there are health risks involved as well.
IVF: In vitro fertilization (IVF) has brought a ray of hope since the 1970s for women who have problems with the Fallopian tubes. The procedure has gone through modification over years, only to show the success rate accelerating. When there are fertility problems in both the partners, IVF can help in achieving successful childbirth. This is also a sure shot way to get pregnant when the causes of infertility are not known. The sperm and eggs are selected and fused in the laboratory. The fused embryo that results is transferred to the uterus. Tubal bypass occurs here. This means the process that should take place in the tubes is taken care of in the laboratory. The healthiest embryos are chosen for transfer to the uterus, and the success rates are hence higher.
As the tubal bypass happens, you can see this a good option if you have gone for tubal sterilization earlier and want to conceive again. What makes IVF a good choice is the success rate. The tubal reversal simply means that the block is removed. In case of IVF, an embryo is attached to your uterus. This means there is no beating around the bush. Your chances of getting pregnant are higher multiple times in case of IVF as compared to tubal reversal. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Nearly 10 percent of the pregnancies have a chance to fail. This is regardless of the fact whether they are induced by IVF or naturally conceived. Numerous reasons do exist for the unsuccessful pregnancies. Ectopic pregnancy is one of the reasons why a pregnancy does not last until full term. Ectopic pregnancy is a life-threatening condition. With all these possibilities, a pregnancy that is IVF induced has to be watched continuously. If you have gone through IVF for pregnancy, you know how many years were behind it.
After multiple treatment options and years of waiting, your ray of hope is IVF. With the odds of the embryo forming in the laboratory and the difficulties in getting it attached to your womb, a woman undergoing IVF has too many worries from day one. Fortunately, your gynecologist trusts in monitoring the IVF pregnancy from the very first step.
Complications of IVF pregnancy: A pregnancy through IVF may need care for various reasons. The mother may be over 35 years of age, too many miscarriages, and several other reasons. When monitoring is consistent, the progress of the pregnancy is known. It will not be too late for any action throughout the period. In many cases, the couples’ only hope to bear a child is through IVF. They cannot afford to take chances when they have got pregnant through IVF. The sensitive doctor will also be focused on the fact that his or her patient gets the optimum care throughout the precious pregnancy period. When a woman in 40’s or above gets pregnant, the pregnancy is delicate, and it is after too much of struggle. In such cases, consistent monitoring is the need of the hour.
What makes IVF pregnancies convoluted?
Apart from the age factor, there is one more concern that makes it important to monitor the pregnancy continuously. The incidence of miscarriage in pregnancies that are not natural is higher. The spontaneous pregnancies are natural, and the body is well prepared. Any sort of artificial reproductive technique (ART) means that one has to prepare the body externally. Nothing can be equal to natural and hence the rate of a miscarriage is higher. Chances of twins are higher when it comes to IVF. In natural pregnancies, one in 80 pregnancies results in twins. In case of IVF, 1 in 5 women can get pregnant with twins. Coupled with the other complications, bearing twins adds to the pressure. A doctor needs to be assured if everything would be smooth enough to continue the 3rd trimester. In case if something has to be done to ensure the children in the womb are safe even before 35 weeks, only continuous monitoring would suggest the best way.
IVF pregnancies also have the higher chances of bleeding in the first trimester, placenta previa, preterm labor, PIH, and IUGR. A C-section is how most of the women who have gone for IVF give birth. Extra vigilance is not an overrated thing in IVF pregnancies but the demand. This also helps in ruling out any type of abnormalities. If you are pregnant through IVF, then do not fret if you have to visit your doctor and scan centers often. This helps you to stay pregnant full term and carry your dream baby in your arms. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Diabetes is often associated with heart diseases. In fact, many people do not know that their kidneys and eyes, too, can be affected due to the increased blood sugar levels. Fertility is often forgotten in this list. Yes, diabetes can lower the fertility rates. In men, it can cause erectile dysfunction and decrease libido. In women, the issues are different. But you should not lose hope if you are a diabetic and want to get pregnant. Controlled sugar levels and healthy body weight can help you become a mother. It should also be understood that diabetes alone cannot be the reason for you not getting pregnant. Several underlying factors such as obesity, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), and irregular periods can be responsible as well.
Diabetes and hormonal disturbances: PCOS results in higher amounts of testosterone, which is the male hormones. This leads to abnormal periods, or at times, the periods are absent in women affected with this disorder. PCOS is often associated with obesity and type 2 diabetes. In women affected by diabetes, the fertility period is lowered. For instance, if a woman without diabetes can conceive up to 40 years, the diabetic woman can conceive up to 34 to 36 years only. This also means that menopause occurs early in such women. Oligomenorrhea and secondary amenorrhea are often connected to type 2 diabetes. It is also seen when these women have a control over their sugar levels, their fertility rate improves.
Type 1 diabetes and fertility: When a woman is affected by type 1 diabetes, mensuration ceases in most cases. Studies indicate that only 2 percent of the women who are affected by type 1 diabetes are able to conceive. While treatment can bring back mensuration in these women, irregular periods cannot be treated successfully. With controlled sugar levels, one can find chances of improved fertility rates. For this, even during the planning period, the woman has to control sugar levels. You can still become pregnant even when you are dependent on insulin. Your requirement dosage can differ. So, check with your primary care provider and gynecologist on the same. Your sugar levels should also be under control throughout your pregnancy.
Type 2 diabetes and fertility: In case of type 2 diabetes, which has begun to develop even in young women, there is a negative impact on the fertility rates. In the past, type 2 diabetes, also known as diabetes mellitus, was common only in the age group of 45 and above. But, lifestyle modifications and food habits have made it common even in the younger age group recently. This has resulted in the lowering of the fertile years and an early advancement of menopause. In women who have hormonal imbalance and diabetes, the combo paves the way to PCOS. Obesity is one of the reasons that trigger both diabetes and PCOS. With additional healthcare, you can become pregnant with diabetes mellitus. A healthy diet plan and exercise routine are recommended by the doctors.
If you are diabetic and planning for pregnancy, ensure that you take proper care to manage blood sugar levels. Enhanced glucose levels can only increase the risk for diabetes in the child. A healthy pregnancy is assured with controlled diabetes.
When you have found hope but lose it in a short span of time, you certainly find it hard to stay strong. Women, who are trying to get pregnant, go for IVF after trying for years – taking medications, choosing IUI, and lots of other things. IVF is expensive and involves lots of processes. When it fails, no woman can avoid being shattered. In fact, this can even depress the doctor. Usually, the patients consider it as negligence on the doctor’s end or call the doctor incompetent. Doctors may doubt if the patient had followed their instructions. However, the doctors have the advantage of the knowledge and know there can be lots of reasons behind a failed IVF.
- Speak with the doctor: It has to be noted that your failed IVF can be because of a problem at your end, because of the clinic, and at times, for no reason. In case, you feel that the doctor is not experienced, you can deal it by changing your clinic. There are lots of things a failed cycle can tell you. Speak to your doctor and ask her to analyze the reasons behind the failure. This is one of the ways you can come out of the scenario positively. When you get to know what the actual problem is, and want to work out on it, then you are already half successful. When you speak to your doctor, she would gain trust. The doctor explains in detail what happens, shares her experience, and makes you stay positive. A red flag comes in when the doctor is not concentrating on the experience. In fact, concentrating on where it might have failed is a good way for a successful procedure in the future. Else, you would be cribbing.
- Become a part of support group: Follow a support group. Thankfully, the internet is full of women groups with a range of pregnancy complications. IVF troubles are one of them. You would be boosted emotionally when you come to know women who have conceived after many failed attempts. They share experiences and come up with the most positive thoughts compared with the rest of the world. You can also vent out your feelings, and find shoulders to comfort while being anonymous. No one pities you but empathizes with you, which is the need of the hour at that time.
- Get to know all about the IVF cycle: In most cases, you chose IVF because you are childless for years. Taking time to get to know the IVF procedure tree is mandatory. Your doctor helps in identifying the steps, and in fact, can explain everything. When you feel something isn’t right, check with the medical professionals. While online resources can lend a helping hand most of the times, they can be a bit confusing.
Don’t fret. Understand every failure is bound to make you stronger. Your goals can be achieved through different means, and failure just reminds you that this time it didn’t work. Your body is a big mystery and don’t expect to understand it and get all the troubles resolved at one go. IVF isn’t a magic wand.
PCOS tops the list of reasons for female infertility. A few women manage to conceive with PCOS but the pregnancy could be full of complications. Chances of miscarriages even during the 28th week are possible if a woman suffers from PCOS. This is also called as PCOD, which is an endocrine disorder. In this condition, the hormone levels are imbalanced and inflammation also occurs. This results in disruption of ovulation, and getting pregnant becomes a Herculean task. PCOS is not only the reason for infertility but also results in other discomforting symptoms such as weight gain, acne, hair fall, and skin darkening.
Ovulation problems in PCOS: PCOS results in anovulation, which is the lack of ovulation or irregular ovulation. This can be due to various reasons. Estrogen is not produced adequately by the ovaries, hypothalamus does now secrete the gonadotropin-releasing hormone, and there is hypothyroidism or the excess of testosterone in the adrenal glands. PCOS can occur due to various reasons ranging from wrong food habits, inadequate sleep, fatty liver, negative thoughts, stress, no detoxification, poor fat metabolism, and genetic reasons. Women who have mother or sister suffering from PCOS have an increased risk of being affected by this disorder. Women who have excess insulin in their body, too, can develop this disorder. Insulin resistance can trigger high blood sugar levels, and this means pancreas keeps producing more insulin. This can also lead to PCOS.
Managing PCOS: PCOS can affect fertility in multiple ways. The major problem is irregular ovulation. Ovulation may not occur because the follicles are not mature or when the woman has more testosterone. The hormonal imbalance does not let pregnancy happen even if there is ovulation. This is because the uterus is inefficient to develop the lining, which is vital for implantation to occur. The menstrual cycle is irregular, and it is unpredicted. PCOS can only be managed but the good news is that one can increase the chances of fertility with medications. The symptoms vary from woman to woman, so doctors give treatment options to suit the specific requirements. The hormonal imbalance is corrected with birth control pills. But if you are looking forward to a child, these pills should be the last thing you need. The doctor comes up with other options in such cases.
Medications: PCOS also needs medication to control the blood sugar levels. Often, one can see the dietary changes are recommended when getting treated for PCOS. An exercise routine is emphasized and such women also advised to maintain a healthy weight. This is to ensure that the insulin levels and the testosterone levels are under control. Medications to regulate the menstrual cycle is also prescribed to women who want to improve their fertility and chances of conception. Based on the scenario, a surgery may be on the cards. Laparoscopic ovarian drilling is a procedure performed by a team of medical professionals to treat PCOD.
Chances are there that PCOS isn’t the only reason for you to not get pregnant. So, a complete checkup to diagnose and analyze the problems for infertility is done by the doctor. You may need a combination of medications so that your chances of becoming a mother are heightened.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!