Lybrate.com has top trusted General Physicians from across India. You will find General Physicians with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Gurgaon and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Ram Chandar MalikYour feedback matters!
Iam suffering from pancreatitis my doctor said there is no cure for this disease Iam suffering from past 4 years Iam fearing about the complications of this disease in the future may I know what happen with this disease in feature? Is my pancreas stop function or work normally or else I have to go to pancreatectomyPlease give me complete answer for my question Iam really thinking about this all the time.
I am overweight and also have pcod and thyroid because of which losing weight is becoming difficult. Any advice on what could be done to lose weight and eradicate pcod?
I have fracture in ankle of my right leg on 6th march 2016. My plaster has been removed on after 46 days. I have joined duty. Bones have been joined. I have swelling in my feet n ankle. What Shd I do to recover from swelling completely? Should I take more rest? Is 46 is not enough? Is swelling will increase with more n more walking? Kindly tell me some fast techniques to beat the swelling? please ANSWER MY EACH QUESTION. THANKS A LOT.
The human body can be compared to a very sophisticated engine that gets its power supply from the food that is eaten. Various organs require fuel for different activities be it walking, standing, stretching or even just regular maintenance where cells are constantly replaced.
The brain is one of the most complex organs in the human body. While it may not do a stretching or a jogging, it constantly needs power supply to function effectively. And as is very obvious, the body reflects the eating patterns. It is not likely that a person eating a very healthy diet would end up obese; nor does a person who is athletic eat a lot of unrefined and processed foods.
The power supply also defines how effectively the organs function, especially in the brain. Good nutrition helps good functioning of the brain. Recent studies have shown that a healthy diet can help avoid mental disorders like depression, schizophrenia problem, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), etc. This field of study is called the nutritional psychiatry.
Listed below are some food substances and how they affect brain functioning:
- Carbohydrates: These induce the production of insulin, which causes release of sugar into the body. Increased amount of sugar in the body produces better activity and mood. Tryptophan, a significant neurotransmitter is also released and further enhances mood and well-being. Eating fruits and whole grains, which contain a good amount of carbohydrates is believed to have beneficial effects on the brain, albeit slower in onset.
- Proteins: Foods such as fish, eggs, dairy, greens, peas, legumes are rich in protein and contain amino acids, which are the essential ingredients of the various neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine. Lack of amino acids like tyrosine can impair production of serotonin, leading to decreased feeling of well-being.
- Fats: The gray matter of the brain contains about 50% polyunsaturated fats, and various essential fatty acids are very essential for optimal brain functioning. Decreased levels of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids are shown to cause depression. Decreased levels of Omega-3 also leads to dyslexia and autism.
- Minerals: Various minerals are very essential for proper functioning of the brain, though they are required in very minute quantities. Calcium, chromium, iodine, iron, lithium, selenium, and zinc are some of the minerals identified as important for brain function.
- B-complex: Vitamin B2 and B6 have been proven to enhance mood and improve cognitive performance.
- Vitamin B12: In addition to delaying the onset of dementia, it also improves cerebral functioning.
- Folate: Reduced levels lead to depression and also limit the functioning of antidepressants.
As is evident, nutrition plays a very important role and a little care can help improve brain functioning to a large extent. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a specilized dietitian and nutritionist and ask a free question.