Doctor in Balaji Cancer Care Centre
Submit a review for Balaji Cancer Care CentreYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Are you aware of the link between air pollution and cancer? Air pollution refers to the mixture of several harmful substances, which lead to various serious health hazards on exposure. The primary sources of air pollution are man-made, including fumes from automobiles and the smoke from burning fuels. Desert dust, radon gas, and several other natural sources of air pollution are equally dangerous. Air pollution is classified into outdoor and indoor air pollution. It is highly associated with increased risks of developing cancer. Smoking is considered to be one of the major agents, which pollute the air and increase the chances of cancer to a large extent.
Outdoor air pollution
- Outdoor air pollution is strongly linked with cancer development.
- As every person is exposed to some form of air pollution, it has a more harmful effect on the whole population across the globe as a general threat.
- A certain part of outdoor air pollution referred to as PM 2.5, or solid dust particles, are highly responsible for the development of cancer.
- The chances of cancer increase with the increase in PM 2.5 levels in the air.
Indoor air pollution
- There are several sources of indoor air pollution that are closely associated with an increased risk of cancer.
- The sources include fuels used for heating homes and for cooking, radon, and tobacco smoke.
- Second hand smoke is another harmful indoor air pollutant that causes cancer.
Second hand smoke
- Secondhand smoke increases the risk of cancer development, along with the risk of developing other diseases such as stroke and lung disease.
- A lot of people all over the world get exposed to second hand smoke.
- A lot of deaths occur due to cancer because of second hand smoke exposure which is common every year, all over the globe.
- Radon is a natural radioactive gas, which is associated with increased risks of developing lung cancer.
- It is found at low levels outdoors. It may also build in high concentrations indoors.
- Although radon exposure does not pose a huge threat for cancer, a lot of radon-associated cancers develop due to exposure to radon, along with tobacco smoke.
- This is a flammable liquid having no color and with a sweet odor.
- It is closely associated with the development of leukemia and cancers affecting other cells of the body.
- Cigarette smoking and tobacco smoke are major cancer causing elements that are found in the air commonly. Both of these are quite harmful. It is recommended that you not only quit smoking, but also keep away from passive smoking. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I have heard that reheating certain foods like potato, spinach,mushroom and rice is not good and it can cause cancer also But potato is such a common vegetable that we cook almost everyday and we also reheat it and most of the people don't know about it. I want to know how much harmful.Please suggest really it increase risk of cancer.
We live in an age where every single individual, more or less, is exposed to the risk of cancer. It is probably an unfavorable lifestyle we lead that deprives us of good health. This might alarm many but considerable changes in lifestyle can help you realize cancer as a preventable disease. Cancer does not only make you undergo severe suffering but it also affects your friends and family. The pallor of misery spreads wider than you think.
- Abstain from tobacco: Consuming raw tobacco or smoking tobacco can be equally detrimental to your health. Tobacco increases your chances of contracting the disease. As is known, passive smoking can also affect your health adversely. Tobacco can be the potential cause behind cancer of the mouth, throat, larynx, lungs, oral cavity and even the pancreas. It might harm your kidneys and cervix. It is upon you to quit tobacco at the earliest possible. One should also try and persuade friends and relatives to give up smoking.
- Drink alcohol in moderation: Complete abstinence from alcohol might not be possible if you have already been ushered into your work- life. The society might require you to be an occasional drinker. It is important to drink in moderation. Crossing the limit can propel consequences as serious as cancer of the stomach, pancreas, liver and the heart.
- A balanced and nutritious diet: Deciding on a plant- based diet or a Mediterranean diet can aid your fight against the risk of cancer. A Mediterranean diet will involve green leafy vegetables, lots of fresh fruits, whole grains, mixed nuts, legumes and also the use of extra- virgin olive oil. Fish can be a safe bet but red meat should be avoided. One must also try to avoid processed meat as they tend to make you prone to the risk of cancer.
- Immunization: Hepatitis B and HPV or Human papilloma virus vaccines are extremely necessary to protect you against the sexually transmitted types of cancer.
- Sun protection: Caring for your skin doesn't arise from vanity. Skin cancer is one of the most prevalent kinds of cancer; the chances of this disease can be restricted by remaining in shade especially during midday, by wearing covered clothes and by using a good sunscreen lotion repeatedly while outside.
- Exercise diligently: Did you think it was okay to have weaker muscles and bulging layers of fat? If yes, you probably have grown numb to the inadequacies you face in result. Unchecked fat can lead to obesity which further complicates health conditions. Metabolic activity differs from person to person. Regular exercising can help regulate metabolism according to the needs of your body. Physical exercise protects you against the risk of breast and colon cancer. Moderate or vigorous physical activity for 150 to 75 minutes a week respectively can reduce the risk of cancer. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!