When a person faces problem breathing normally, it is called as breathing problem. Different medical conditions including Common cold, allergies, sinusitis, asthma or other lung problems can be behind breathing problem. Apart from general feeling of being unable to breathe normally, typical symptoms of breathing problem are wheezing, flaring nostrils, and a quick breathing rate. Grey or pale complexion and bluish fingernails or mouth are symptoms of acute breathing problem requiring immediate medical intervention.
HOW IS BREATHING PROBLEMS DIAGNOSED?
A breathing problem is diagnosed with the help of a physical examination, even as the doctor focuses on the patient and family history. Tests like pulmonary function tests, spirometry, methacholine challenge and others can be used to determine the cause of the breathing problems. A chest X Ray and CT scan can also be used in severe cases.
HOW IS BREATHING PROBLEMS TREATED?
Medication, inhaled steroids, nebulizer sessions and avoidance of allergy causing activities like household cleaning and being outdoors for too long, are some of the treatments that are available.
DID YOU KNOW?
Breathing problems have a higher chance of being treated if detected in the early stages.
Having breathing difficulties and being short of breath is something that eludes being defined in strict terms. Mild shortness of breath while exercising is a commonplace occurrence and the difficulty in breathing does not necessarily indicate a medical problem. It is also found that people who never are short of breath have lung diseases in their advanced stages. Wheezing happens when you have difficulty breathing and a high-pitched sound is made while the air from your respiratory tracts is let out.
Shortness of breath may consist of:
• Difficulty breathing
• Discomfort while breathing.
• It seems that you are short of breath and are not getting enough air.
Causes of Shortness of Breath
The causes which make you feel short of breath are manifold. Heart diseases are a major culprit for shortness of breath as the heart simply cannot pump the required oxygen into the body. When the different body parts do not get sufficient oxygen shortness of breath may occur.
You may also experience difficulty breathing if there is a medical condition with your airways, lungs etc. which might manifest itself as shortness of breath.
Lung Problems Leading to Shortness of Breath
• The lung arteries may get clotted leading to difficulty breathing.
• Shortness of breath may also be caused by Bronchiolitis may also leave you short of breath.
• COPD or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease results in shortness of breath.
• Shortness of breath may also be caused by other lung diseases.
• You also may have difficulty breathing due to Pneumonia which leads to shortness of breath.
• Another cause of breathing difficulty is pulmonary hypertension which too leads to shortness of breath
• Emphysema also leads to shortness of breath.
Shortness of Breath Symptoms Caused by Lung Airway Problems
• Your mouth, nose or throat air passage gets blocked leaving you short of breath.
• You may also have difficulty breathing by choking on stuck objects in the airways which lead to shortness of breath.
• Croup might also trigger shortness of breath symptoms.
• Epiglottitis is amongst the breathing difficulty causes and you might be left short of breath.
Heart Related Factors of Difficulty Breathing
• Angina leads to shortness of breath symptoms.
• Heart attacks might leave you feeling short of breath.
• Congenital diseases of the heart is a cause for shortness of breath.
• Heart failure is among the severe breathing difficulty causes
• Shortness of breath might be caused by disturbances in the rhythm of the heart and you feel short of breath.
Other Reasons Which May Make You Feel Short of Breath
• Exposure to allergens might also result in shortness of breath.
• A visit to a high altitude place may leave you short of breath as the amount of oxygen in the air is less and you have difficulty breathing.
• You can also feel short of breath due to chest wall compression.
• Difficulty breathing may be triggered by environmental dust.
• With emotional or psychological problems, you may have difficulty breathing.
• Obesity is another common reason behind shortness of breath.
• Hiatal hernia
• Panic attacks
Lybrate is the premium informational resource you turn to, in order to free yourself from breathing problems. All required information about the best pulmonologists and physicians in Visakhapatnam, Bangalore, Pune, Hyderabad, Mumbai etc. can be found at Lybrate.
You can consult doctors online for Breathing Problems from anywhere, anytime at Lybrate. View consultation fee, reviews and patient feedback before consulting. Find best doctors in Kona Gaon and in any other locality in Faizabad.