Blood in stools, also called rectal bleeding, is the passage of blood through the anus. Medically also known as hematochezia, it may be moderate or severe. Patients with moderate bleeding repeatedly passes large quantities of red/maroon-colored blood mixed with stool and/or blood clots. And, patients with severe bleeding may pass several bowel movements or a single bowel movement having larger amount of blood.
HOW IS BLOOD IN STOOLS DIAGNOSED?
Gastroenterologists may order for diagnosis tests based on the color of blood. Black or tarry stools are indicative of ulcer problems, while bright red is indicative of hemorrhoids or diverticulitis. After a complete physical and medical evaluation, the doctor may order for Nasogastric lavage, Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD), coloscopy, Enteroscopy or Barium X-ray.
HOW IS BLOOD IN STOOLS TREATED?
Acute bleeding can be stopped by injecting medicines at the site of inflammation through endoscopy. Angiography is another treatment method to arrest bleeding through injection of medication. For gastrointestinal infections appropriate medications are given. For treating hemorrhoids dietary changes are effective.
DID YOU KNOW?
The treatment for blood in stools depends on the underlying cause.
Constipation is a medical condition in which one might face hardening of the feces. It is also accompanied by difficulty or restriction in passing feces from the anus. This generally occurs due to strained bowel movements. Constipation affects every person at least once in their lifetime.
Symptoms of constipation:
1. Strained bowel movement. Daily bowel movement is unusual.
2. Small circular stools which can also darken, this can be a symptom of constipation.
3. There is always a feeling that your bowels are not entirely cleared and that every bit of feces has not emerged from your anus.
4. Acute abdominal pain accompanied with swollen abdomen.
Why does constipation occur?
1. Medicines which contain aluminum or calcium.
2. Colon cancer can also be a cause for constipation sometimes.
3. If the usual diet changes all of a sudden.
4. Consuming a lot of dairy products such as milk, cheese, butter and yogurt can also cause constipation.
5. If you have some inherent eating disorders.
6. Bowel syndrome is also a common cause of constipation.
7. Mental health disorders such as Parkinson’s disease and multiple sclerosis.
8. Being very lazy and not engaging in outdoor activities.
9. Sometimes overuse of laxatives can also weaken bowel movements and cause constipation.
11. Sometimes many people experience problems with muscles and nerves in the digestive system.
12. Some medications which people generally take for pain and anti-depressants.
13. Stress and nervousness is also a cause for constipation.
14. Hypothyroidism or underactive thyroid is also a cause for constipation.
Colonoscopy is a test used when a person starts experiencing bloody stools, inflammation or bleeding from the anus. It usually allows your doctor to peek inside the inner lining of your large intestine which consists of the rectum and the colon. The procedure is performed using a thin colonoscope to look at the colon. It is generally used to find any cancerous growth like colon polyps and ulcer.
Why is colonoscopy performed?
1. It checks the exact cause of bloody stools and rectal bleeding.
2. Sometimes people have discoloration of stool, such as red or black stool. Therefore, colonoscopy is helpful during this time.
3. Chronic diarrhea also occurs, so colonoscopy checks the root of this problem.
4. If you are experiencing iron deficiency anemia then colonoscopy is performed.
5. Colonoscopy checks why there is sudden weight loss in some patients.
6. If there has been an abnormal result in your C.T scan or MRI results.
7. If there is unexplained belly pain which lasts for a longer time.
Bloody diarrhea and blood in poo usually occurs because of diseases such as piles.
Therefore it is important to get a doctor’s opinion if you start experiencing such symptoms. Lybrate offers you the best general physicians in Bangalore, Pune, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Chennai. Subscribe to Lybrate to know more about constipation, blood in stools and its associated conditions.
Top are results of best doctors for Blood in Stools in Indian Spinal Injuries Center. You may see the doctor reviews by their patients and their peers and choose the best doctor. You can even post a free question on Lybrate.