Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Gynaecologists online in Delhi. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Vandana Chopra
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Vandana ChopraYour feedback matters!
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and infertility are considered synonymous by most. However, the truth is that they are not and there are a lot of treatment options that can lead to pregnancy, even in a lady who is suffering from PCOS.
Reasons PCOS leads to infertility: Women with PCOS have different hormonal pathways than a normal woman without PCOS. It changes the system of how your body produces the eggs and prepares your uterus for pregnancy. Three reasons why women with PCOS do not get pregnant or why it is difficult for them to maintain pregnancy are:
- Women who are suffering with PCOS do not ovulate normally.
- They have irregular periods and thus their monthly cycles are not predictable.
- As they have irregular periods, their endometrium may not be prepared when the egg is released. Thus, it does not help in sustaining the pregnancy.
Symptoms of PCOS: There are a lot of symptoms that show the hormonal imbalance due to PCOS.
- Ovarian cysts
- Excessive amounts of male hormones
- High levels of insulin
- Fertility problems
- Weight gain
- Ovulation and menstrual problems
- Excess body and facial hair
- Anxiety and depression
As there is hormonal imbalance in a woman with PCOS, the eggs may not develop properly and at the same time, they may not be ready to get fertilized, thus leading to infertility.
PCOS infertility treatment: The good news is that even if you are one of them with PCOS, there are treatments that can help you to get pregnant.
Here are the drugs that help patients with PCOS:
- Metformin (Glucophage): It helps in reducing the insulin levels and stabilizes the hormones. Thus, doctors often prescribe metformin that will help in making the ovulation cycles regular.
- Clomid (Clomiphene citrate): Another fertility drug that helps in conceiving is Clomid. It may be prescribed with or without metformin. When women with PCOS take these two drugs together, their chances of getting treated for PCOS and getting fertile become more. Many women may need a high dose of Clomid so that they can retain fertility.
- Gonadotropins: This medication is necessary for helping you with ovulation as gonadotropins are hormones that stimulate your ovaries to release eggs. When someone is not responding to clomid then this medication may be tried.
If you too are trying to conceive and yet have not succeeded and can find the symptoms mentioned above, visit your doctor and start the treatment.
Hi. I have very serious question to ask .actually its about my friend. She had sex (anal) yesterday and she is very concern about getting pregnant as she told me that they don't have protected sex is there any chances to get pregnant through anal sex. And they seeing each other from last 2 years.
Childbirth comes within an age bracket. Women feel this more so than men. Career demands or other personal choices can delay the time to get pregnant. Thus, freezing your eggs can prove to be beneficial, if you delay childbirth to focus on your career or education, or if you have certain medical conditions such as cancer.
- Egg Retrieval: Before the eggs are harvested, there is a lot you have to do. The first month is spent taking blood tests and ultrasounds. In the second month, you will have to take medicines before your procedure for egg retrieval. Ultrasounds and blood tests are also conducted at this stage to monitor the growth of the eggs. Around the time of your ovulation, the eggs will be harvested. You will be lightly sedated during the procedure. After the procedure, you might feel bloated and experience cramping. At least 15 eggs are retrieved for optimum chances. The medicines prescribed are all hormone injections which you can self-administer.
- Freezing and Storage: The largest human cell is the egg. It is comprised mainly of water. When the eggs are frozen, crystals can form which can destroy it. So an anti-freeze replaces the water after the eggs are dehydrated. This prevents crystal formation. Eggs are frozen using vitrification. In this process, the eggs are either slowly or flash frozen. Eggs can be frozen for as long as 10 years. This does not hamper the quality.
- Risks: There is no guarantee that freezing eggs will lead to having a baby. Sometimes, eggs do not survive the freezing or the thaw.
- Advantages: For women who are suffering from cancer, freezing their eggs might be the best option. They might want to preserve their fertility before their cancer treatment starts. This is useful since radiation and chemotherapy can harm your chances of getting pregnant.
The obvious advantage of freezing your eggs would be the fact that it gives you time. It lets you decide and keeps you one step ahead of your biological clock. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.