Lybrate.com has top trusted Oncologists from across India. You will find Oncologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sunny Jain
Submit a review for Dr. Sunny JainYour feedback matters!
Sir/madam my mother hemoglobin is 10.4gm% n polymorph 18%. How to increase hemoglobin and polymorph. Which diet should be followed? N she's complete chemotherapy n radiation for breast cancer and which diet she's follwes please tell me to increase hemoglobin n polymorph.
Blood cancer is a broad term. Firstly, there can be an attack of cancerous formation of any organic physiological system, which occurs in different aspects of the circulatory system, and is broadly termed as blood cancer. There are mainly three types of blood cancer, but each type may have numerous variations:
Leukaemia: In this case, the multiplying cancer cells attack either the red blood cells or the bone marrow. The circulatory system becomes severely impaired and the production of red blood cells decreases rapidly, thereby causing the count of red blood cells to decrease every day along with a higher white blood cell count.
Symptoms: Anaemia, extreme weakness and fatigue, shortness of breath in regular activities, and vulnerability to the slightest of infections. Certain kinds of leukaemia are associated with symptoms like coughing, fatigue, itching, nausea, and aversion towards food.
Lymphoma: In this case the cancerous cells affect the lymphocytes, commonly known as the white blood cells, thereby causing the white blood cell count to decrease and hence causing the body immune system to crash. Even the slightest of infections become the biggest dangers.
Myeloma: In this case, the plasma is affected by the multiplying cancerous cells, again causing severe impairment to the body immune system.
Cures and Survival Rates-
With enormous research and amazing medical breakthroughs, blood cancer has become treatable and has been overcome by many. In a recent research, a curative alternative has been found which tries to block the release of the enzymes causing metastasis, thereby causing the enlargement of the cancerous cells to get blocked. There are numerous more alternative treatments like herbal treatments using herbs like xanthones and Garcinia mangostana, which have proven to be effective in treating even second and third levels of blood cancer.
According to the Leukaemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS), 2011 had 1,012,533 people recover from various stages of blood cancer. In the 1960s, the five-year relative survival rates were only 14%. In the 1970s, the rate increased to 34.5% and from 2005–2011, the rates improved till 61.7%. This estimate includes both the population of cancer survivors in the following categories:
Those who are totally cured of cancer.
Those who have just recovered.
- Those who are still recovering.
Actually last month my brother in law aged 44 expired due to metastatic cancer in pancreas & intrahepatic cancer in liver. I was surprised to see that being a fully fit man without any disease. Now I am very much tensed that it could happen with any one. Pl suggest me which/what type of test/treatment could be taken up as a precautionary step.
Cancer is becoming the disease of modern times as with changing lifestyles, more and more people are developing this disease. Research has shown up multiple options, but these options are not without side effects. Cases of immunosuppression, weight loss, hair loss, etc., are just a few of them. Therefore, there is constant work being done to identify alternate methods of arresting cancer and preventing it.
While these alternate methods do not help in curing cancer, they definitely help in managing the signs and symptoms of cancer. This makes a lot of sense as even with conventional treatments, beyond a certain point, chemotherapy only helps in palliation and is not a complete cure.
- Acupuncture: This practice of inserting needles at specific points in the body helps in relieving nausea caused by cancer and also helps improve pain to a large extent. However, this should not be used in people who are on anticoagulants and have poor platelet count. Getting an experienced person to do it is also very essential.
- Exercise: The chronic fatigue, which sets in with cancer, can be greatly reduced by regular exercise. Talk to a private physician to identify what would work for you, taking into account overall status and plan accordingly. This will also improve sleep patterns and your overall quality of life.
- Hypnosis: For extreme stress and anxiety induced by cancer, hypnosis is a good option. It helps calm the mind and soothes the body to relax completely. It also helps in reducing the nausea and vomiting that is often associated with chemotherapy.
- Ayurveda: Ayurveda has multiple proven substances, which are known to detox the system and control cancer growth cells.
- Massage: Superficial and deep massage have definite benefits in chemotherapy. This relieves the muscle tension and stress associated with chemotherapy. Specific conditions like bone condition, pain type, etc., have to be taken into account before planning for this. Also invest in a good experience personnel to do this, as wrong hands may cause more damage.
- Meditation: The deep breathing and relaxation that happens with meditation helps control stress and anxiety in people with cancer. The advantage is that it can be done by the person at any time, anywhere, without investing in any equipment.
- Yoga: By combining body movements with relaxation techniques, yoga does wonders for the body. It improves agility, improves mental alertness, controls anxiety, improves metabolism, and is an effective detoxification method. A good yoga instructor can help in designing the right program to get the maximum benefits.
- Music therapy: Whether it is simple listening to music, writing songs, or playing an instrument, music has its healing powers. Having a group also helps as a form of supportive therapy. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor.