How to overcome Obesity
I am Dr. Suneet Khanna. I am a MBBS doctor. I am practicing weight loss and nutrition for the last 30 years. I’m the oldest doctor in this line, to practice weight loss, nutrition. Today I will talk about Obesity.
What is Obesity? Fat. If you are fat, what to do? In our program, in my program, I call people, once in 10 days, that is, 3 times in a month. Once you come to me, we check your weight, enquire about your health, your diet pattern, your family history, medical problems; then we put you on a diet plan. It could be roti, sabzi, dal, pasta, kulcha, Subway, chicken, fish, eggs, mutton, brownies, cheesecakes, all that would be given to you. We will tell you to walk 30 minutes. 30 minutes of walk is very important.
Our program is based on the timing of food, the quantity of food, a combination of food and 30 minutes of walk. Initially, first 10 days, we don’t allow you to eat out. First ten days. Attending Parties, functions, has to be deleted. 30 minutes of walk is important. No alcohol for 20 days, 20 days no alcohol. And coming to me on time, is very important. Latecomers are not seen. In my schedule, I plan out diet as per your requirement. You are school teacher, you are a professional, you are in a corporate sector, I plan out diets accordingly. I plan out timings accordingly. All I require from people is honesty to the weight loss programme. I always believe and you also believe that a diet program is a very serious effort. It is not a joke. You can’t take a diet, and go back home. Diet programme is to be followed with zeal, with enthusiasm. Diet programme has to be, you know, on the job.
You have to be on the job for that. In case anybody wants to join the weight loss programme, you can consult me on Lybrate and I will be more than willing to help people. Thank You.read more
I am Dr. Suneet Khanna. I am a clinical weight loss nutritionist in Delhi. I am a pediatrician who has transformed himself into a nutritionist. I realized much later in my life as a clinical pediatrician that nutrition is a part and parcel of India’s program. People do not know much about nutrition. I got it to nutrition and decided to get into weight loss. I am the oldest practicing weight loss clinical nutritionist in India. I am just going to talk about diabetes.
What is diabetes? It is a clinical disease waiting to happen to anybody. 380 million people in the world suffer from diabetes. Diabetes in the last 10 years has increased by 50% globally. Delhi would be the capital of diabetes in India. India would be the capital of diabetes in the world in times to come. What is diabetes? A condition where the blood sugar level goes up, you have polydipsia, polyhydria, polyhydra and hyperphagia. Urination, excessive thirst, hyperphagia, eating more are the symptoms of diabetes. Anybody who has diabetes type 1, diabetes type 2 and gestational diabetes needs to understand nutrition. He needs to understand his diabetic state will be improved if he has a good nutrition, good healthy diet, he should know certain foods to avoid like starch, potato and rice. He should also know how to improve his lifestyle.
Improvement of lifestyle, change in lifestyle is a very important feature in a patient of diabetes. Activity, his activity needs to be improved. 30 minutes of walk everyday is a good association of patients of diabetes. What happens in normal individuals when we eat food? Food is broken into sugar, suddenly our pancreas releases insulin, the hormone. The insulin hormone actually opens up the cells which take up the glucose for energy utilization. Nothing like that happens in diabetes, that’s why our sugar level goes up. I will give you a small preparation for diabetics. We call it chicken drumsticks. You can have about 150 grams of chicken leg, which is one piece. It has about 140 calories. Lets say three chicken drumsticks or three chicken legs, you can marinate them in hung curd with some olive oil, add some herbs, salt, pepper, you can put that for about 45 minutes and after 45 minutes of smearing the entire stuff on to the chicken legs, three of them, put them on a pan and stir fry them for little while. The chicken gets good very well. This amounts to about 350-400 calories if you serve it with sautéed vegetables like broccoli, celery, asparagus, babycorn, bellpeppers and pokchow which should be more than a soup bowl. This dish is very good for diabetics.
We should understand as people that diabetics are prone to more complications. If we control our diabetes, we will be able to do best in life. If anybody wants to contact me for his or her problems associated with weight loss or diabetes, you can consult me on Lybrate or on my contact number 9810152166.type 1 diabetes read more
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Suneet Khanna
Customised Diet Chart
Weight Management Treatment
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Weight Loss Treatment
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Healthy Heart Diet
Child Nutrition Management
Immunity Therapy Treatment
Nutrition Assessment Service
Treatment Of Foot Infection
Asthma Treatment & Management
Diet Therapy Treatment
Weight Management Counseling
Submit a review for Dr. Suneet KhannaYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
I had the issue of obesity. Thanks to him that the obesity treatment he gave me has given brilliant results. I searched Dr Suneet Khanna online and saw his reviews. He is very courteous and behaves very aptly with elder patients. He definitely is aware about the latest and advanced ways to treat serious cases. I was amazed that other doctors before him were not able to treat my problem, but he did it immediately and started the obesity treatment for it.
I am amazed that he is such a sweet doctor, even though he is so busy all the time. From quite some time i was suffering from obesity, but never gave much importance to it. The atmosphere in the The Westside Clinic is always so positive and full of life. I am really grateful as herdiet planning has give me a ray of hope. I'am almost on the path to recovery, Thanks to my Suneet Khanna perfect advice.
My boss referred me therdietician, Dt.Suneet Khanna. I needed a good diet chart in order to stay fit. Even in case of long queues, the staff was managing people in a very positive manner. Dt.Suneet Khanna certainly knows the in and out of herspeciality. My previous experiences were not so good, but Suneet Khanna has completely changed my opinion as he is very helpful and humble.
I thought it was something very normal, but then I realised the weight loss treatment is something else. The overall outlook of the The Westside Clinic was very nice. He is so nice that they even at odd hours one can call him in case of emergency. He is not just highly qualified, but has years of experience in handling high risk cases. He did my weight loss counselling.
I consulted a number of dieticians but the way he treated me was the best.I needed to recover soon post my delivery. I therefore visited,The Westside Clinic in Delhi. It is designed in such a manner that all requirements of patients are taken care of. Suneet Khanna has so much knowledge that for everything I take herreference. herdiet has helped me a lot , undoubtedly.
Someone from the office, referred us that Suneet Khanna. I was suffering from weight loss for such a long time. The overall atmosphere in the The Westside Clinic is very soothing. Suneet Khanna has expert knowledge in the field. All of sudden I developed this weight loss and didn't know what to do. He ensures that she listens to his patients.
I consulted a number of dieticians but the way he treated me was the best. I was having this problem since years. I was quite concerned, as my health was degrading day by day, but due to my Suneet Khanna and the gain weight treatment I didn't lose hope. The staff was very attentive to my needs.
I am so much benefitted with Dr Suneet's slimming, that i am perfectly fine now. I was quite embarassed because of my fat but after his slimming treatment, I can notice the considerable changes in myself. He is so pleasant to talk to and always ready to answer your doubts.
Suneet Khanna has a very positive attitude towards all the patients. Even though my problem was not very big, the entire experience of undergoing lose weight treatment was very relaxing. Finally with his treatment, I am completely fit and fine.
Dr. Suneet Khanna provides answers that are very helpful. Thanks dr i will surely lose 5 kgs of wt
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Suneet Khanna to be very helpful. Thanx doc.
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Suneet Khanna to be very helpful. Thanks
An unhealthy diet is an absolute no in daily life to remain healthy, fit and without any disease. Unhealthy diets fail to give the body the correct amounts and varieties of proteins and nutrients for a maximum proper health.
Too many intakes of calories lead to an unhealthy diet, which also increases blood pressure. It leads to a very poor calorie ratio-to-nutrient that leads to gain weight and also leads to malnutrition along with various health problems. Unhealthy diets cause chronic disease, hypertension, cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease.
Therefore, unhealthy eating habits should be avoided and strongly abandoned.
Why Avoid Unhealthy Diet?
- It causes obesity. Increased intake of nutrient-dense foods like fruits, sugar, processed carbohydrates and animal fat leads to obesity.
- Nutrient deficiency is another harmful effect of following an unhealthy diet.
- Illness is another factor. Poor intake of nutrition leads to diseases like heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Lack of calcium weakens the bones, lack of vitamin A and C suppress the body immune system leaving a person vulnerable to diseases.
- Increases the risk of coronary artery disease as unhealthy diet contributes to building up of plaque in the coronary arteries which can cause heart attacks.
Coronary Heart Disease - A Serious Issue!
It is a disease which leads to plaque building inside the coronary arteries, which supply rich oxygen blood to the human heart muscle. Over time the plaques either hardened or get ruptured and hardened plaque restricts the coronary arteries, which reduce the oxygen flow to the heart. On the other hand, if the plaque is ruptured blood is formed on its surface which also narrows the coronary artery and restricts the blood flow. And if the blood flow is blocked or reduced, then it might lead to Angina and heart attacks leading to loss of life. Angina causes chest pain it can also cause pain in the neck, back or arms. It is a state where one gets a feeling of indigestion.
Changes in lifestyle, eating habits, intake of medicines and its procedures helps to prevent this disease. These steps can also reduce the chances of health problems. Therefore, a proper healthy diet is a must in a person’s routine because it serves as one of the links to coronary heart diseases. In order to live long, live healthily and live happily one needs to adopt a good eating habit, take care of the medicines they intake, certain input time of exercise, change the monotonous lifestyle to lessen down the chances of their occurrence. Adopting healthy food habits also enables the body to fight against diseases and infections, reducing the rate of illness. It also reduces stress and provides a good healthy and happy life.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
When it comes to production and consumption of milk, India is one of the largest producers and consumers in the world. However, the per capita consumption of milk presently in India is at 97 liters a year, which is way below than western countries, that is 285 and 281 for US and EU respectively. It is always advised to consume milk and dairy products as they are good for health. Infants and young children are fed milk and dairy products, but as you grow old, should dairy products still be a part of your diet?
Argument in favor: Drink milk for strong bones
One of the most common reasons why people still drink milk as adults is to strengthen their bones. Milk is one of the richest sources of calcium and vitamin D. Calcium is an integral part of our bones and Vitamin D helps the body absorb more calcium. If you have healthy bones, the risk of fracturing bones decreases. One glass of milk fulfills 30% of daily calcium requirement.
If you were to remove milk from your diet, it is important to substitute it with the following foods:
- Two servings of oatmeal
- Egg yolks
- Fatty fish and
- Fortified orange juice
Exposure to the sun can also give vitamin D to your body, but too much exposure to sunlight can increase your risk of other conditions such as sun allergies and skin cancer.
Argument against: Giving up milk can aid in weight loss
For people who are overweight, this could help lose a few kilos. This is mainly because dairy products contain sugar and many of us flavor it with even more sugar. Also, giving up dairy products will make you feel less bloated.
- Milk is not easy to digest as when you have an upset stomach, you are advised to avoid milk. This is because it is not easy to digest. For people who are lactose intolerant, giving up milk will aid in the digestion of others foods. It can also help treat irritable bowel syndrome caused by indigestion.
- Giving up milk can improve your skin health as it will lower the frequency and intensity of acne flare-ups. Some dermatologists also say that it could help treat eczema.
- Quitting milk is not easy. After all, we consume dairy products in so many ways. We add it to our cereals, use it in sauces and what would pizza be without cheese. If you cannot avoid milk, do not add sugar to it. However, you can replace it with options, such as almond milk, soy milk and tofu, as these foods are healthier and easier to digest. Also, as a practice, instead of ice cream, you could end your meal with greek yogurt.
In case you have any query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The bones are a porous matrix which is filled with minerals like calcium and phosphorus which make them strong. Over a period of time, the mineral content is lost and therefore the matrix gets brittle. Bones are more likely to fracture in these people.
- The bones get fragile and brittle with age in most people, and people over 60 years of age are likely to be affected
- Asian women about the age of 45 are prone to osteoporosis
- Reduced vitamin D intake (either by sun exposure or through diet) also makes bone porous and prone to fracture
- Sedentary lifestyle with minimal or no exercise
- Lower levels of estrogen, especially post menopause
- Cigarette smoking
- Reduced testosterone levels
- With fracture, there is severe pain, loss of mobility, and need for prolonged nursing.
Foods which can help control/prevent osteoporosis:
- Yoghurt: Derived from milk, it is rich in animal protein and also contains good amounts of vitamin D and B2, calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium. It helps in maintaining estrogen levels during menopause, thereby preventing osteoporosis. They also provide a good supply of gut bacteria, which improves immunity.
- Milk: Similar to yoghurt, this is also rich in various minerals that are essential for bone health. The vitamin D in it also improves calcium absorption, thereby prolonging the occurrence of osteoporosis.
- Fish and meat: Lean meat and fish are good sources of oils and protein and form an essential part of diet for preventing osteoporosis. Sardines and salmon are ideal as the tiny fish are rich sources of calcium.
- Eggs: This contains good amounts of natural protein, minerals, and vitamins essential for bone health. It also helps in estrogen formation, which has a bone-protective effect.
- Cabbage: Any form of cabbage is good for preventing osteoporosis. It promotes bone metabolism and has calcium which help in strong bone formation.
- Bananas: Another effective food in preventing osteoporosis, it helps improve absorption of calcium and other essential nutrients to ensure bones are formed and maintain health. It also has natural oils, potassium, and vitamins A and C in good quantity.
- Almonds: It forms an integral part of preventing osteoporosis by increasing bone density and promoting bone health. It also has good oil content, which is also essential for bone health.
- Legumes: Beans and other legumes are rich source of proteins and minerals and therefore prevent onset of osteoporosis.
- Bengal gram (chole): Another great source of various minerals and vitamins, it is very low in calories and sugar and is great to lose weight. It also improves bone health by increasing density.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
- Alkaline ash diets or alkaline acid diets to lose weight and avoid lots of diseases.
- Your blood levels have an alkaline ph of 7.35 and 7.45. Your stomach has a ph of 3.5 or less, to break down food you eat.
- Objective of an alkaline diet is to let the body ph remain alkaline ie more than a 7ph.
Foods to avoid:
Dairy, eggs, meat, most grains, processed food, alcohol, caffeine
Foods to have:
With cricket being such a favourite sport in our country, almost everybody takes to it. What starts off as playing during summer holidays in open grounds can take more professional and committed routes with an obsession to become national and international players. It is very important to understand that it is not about the game, but about overall fitness, both of the mind and the body. It requires extreme physical fitness and focus and therefore planning a meal for cricketers is of extreme importance.
A cricketer’s diet should include the following. It would depend, of course, on how much you are playing, age, build, metabolism, etc.
- A good source of energy as everything requires energy, including standing on the field through long hours. About 40% of the diet should include carbs, which should come from whole grains and cereals. Processed foods and packaged foods are best avoided. Ditto for white rice and flour.
- Fats from nuts, seeds, yoghurt, and other dairy products is advised. Avoiding excess fat, as it can reduce agility and speed on the field, be it during fielding or running between the wickets. Fried and oily foods are a strict no-no. Grilled foods are great any day!
- Sufficient quantities of protein which can come from cottage cheese, spinach, greens, legumes, chicken, fish, and other seafood. About 30% of the diet should include proteins.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables and hydration cannot be ignored. These not just give fiber, but also give the required vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals for optimal body and mental functioning. Specifically, sodium and potassium are essential for the muscles.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol in excess. Green tea is a great substitute
- Sports drinks are filled with not just energy, but are also carbonated and sugary. Not recommended daily except for a sugar rush when playing.
- It is advisable to eat with people you play with. It helps boost each other's food habits, which could be different from others.
- On a daily basis, the foods should be spread through the day.
- Eating should be spread out as, breakfast – pre workout – workout - post workout – lunch – training – post training – evening meal/snack – dinner.
- In addition to eating, a good amount of hydration (water predominantly, can also include other natural drinks like tender coconut and fruit juices and milk shakes) is essential to keep the body and mind fit.
- The meal should be planned to ensure the body is provided with a constant source of energy instead of large amounts of sugar rushes.
- If there is a need to lose weight, this might need to be revisited to achieve the target weight. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dietitian/Nutritionist.
Skipping a meal has become a common phenomenon among most working people. You tend to miss breakfast on off days or skip dinner since you are too tired or sleepy. Skipping a meal once in a while may not have any serious effects although making a habit out of it can alter your body metabolism. The way your body reacts to skipped meals varies depending on your age, diet and health. Here are a few negative effects skipping a meal can have on your body-
- Low brain function - There are times when you choose to compensate for a heavy meal you had by skipping another altogether. Your body weakens even if you skip one meal and subsequently your brain can't function actively and you tend to lose your focus. The brain runs on glucose primarily, hence, you can't think clearly because of low blood sugar level due to skipping a meal. It worsens in case you have made a regular habit out of it.
- Mood swings and stress - Mood swings and irritable attitude is very common in case you are starving yourself. Due to low blood sugar level in your body, you tend to snap and get easily annoyed. The symptoms worsen if you make it a habit. You tend to get more stressed and face trouble in making decisions. Skipping meals regularly can make you really moody and jittery all the time. You tend to have angry outbursts in situations where you would otherwise deal tactfully.
- More chances of overeating - Fasting increases the chances of overeating. You may choose to skip a meal as a compensatory act but there are more possibilities that you will end up binging later. Denying your body the appropriate amount of food only makes it crave for more. Most of the times you are likely to end up eating junk food and make up for the skipped meal. It's best to eat proper nutritious meals than loading up on junk food.
- Gaining weight - There are high chances of gaining pounds if you skip a meal routinely. You tend to overeat usually when your body feels deprived and gives you hunger pangs. If you restrict yourself too much then it interferes with your body metabolism. Your body goes into a survival mode and starts storing everything you consume as fat. That way whatever you eat adds to your waistline and does not do much good. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dietitian/Nutritionist.
A detoxification diet can be mighty effective in losing weight as well as getting the system cleaned. While there is a lot of opinion about the diet itself, too much restriction on food can lead to monotony. The trick is to have a right mix of everything. The right balance of fibre, protein and other nutrient is necessary for the healthy functioning of the body. Here is a list of things to remember while following a detoxification diet:
- The right amount of protein: Getting the right amount of protein is essential for the body to function properly. The body needs around 20-35 gms of protein in about every four-five hours. It boils down to 3 eggs, half a cup of chicken breast and half a cup of black beans as far as food consumption is concerned. It makes sense to stick to a light protein such as legumes, white portion of the egg, tofu, and poultry. An adult requires a minimum of 60-90 grams of protein on a daily basis. The right choice of protein in terms of taste and calorie will ensure that the detoxification diet can be stuck to.
- Include carbohydrate: Carbohydrate should get a place in the detoxification diet. The body requires a minimum of 120 grams carbohydrates on a daily basis. It can be easily achieved with a balanced diet. Certain food elements such as legume and whole grain provides enough carbohydrate for the body to function throughout the day. Some other good sources of carbohydrate include berries, quinoa, and millet.
- Keep a calorie count: In general, an adult woman needs around 1500 calories per day and a man requires around 1800 calories per day. An individual should aim for a calorie consumption of 350 during breakfast, 450 during lunch and 500 at dinner. Midday snacks should not comprise more than 150 calories on a daily basis. Fast foods containing processed fat and carbohydrate should be eliminated from the detoxification diet.
- Water: While a good detoxification can show fast results, keeping the body hydrated is necessary for the detoxification to work. Apart from hydration, water helps the body to eliminate the waste and ensure the smooth functioning of the kidney. For detoxification to work the kidney should be in great condition. Water also helps to wash away certain unwanted element from the body. A minimum of 3-4 litres of water should be consumed on a daily basis for detoxification to work.
- A healthy lifestyle: For detoxification diet to work, it is necessary to follow a healthy lifestyle. Smoking and drinking should be stopped. 8 hours of sleep and a daily exercise schedule will help an individual to stick to the detoxification diet and get achieve immediate results from it. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dietitian/Nutritionist.