Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is a medical condition related to a woman’s endocrine system. Generally, this disorder is characterised by an imbalance of the sex hormones (oestrogen and progesterone), which leads to the development of multiple small cysts in the ovaries. Symptoms of PCOS include acne, irregular menstrual cycle and depression to name a few.
The causes of PCOS have not been accurately identified so far, but researchers suggest that the following factors might contribute to the onset of the condition.
1. Increased amount of insulin secretion- Women suffering from insulin resistance may get PCOS as their body is not able to effectively use this insulin, which results in increased insulin secretion by the pancreas. This, in turn, triggers more androgen (male sex hormone) production in the ovaries, making it difficult for the ovaries to ovulate.
2. Lower inflammation levels- The white blood cells present in your body form resistance against infections through a response termed as inflammation. Women with lower inflammation levels are likelier to get PCOS as the decreased levels stimulate polycystic ovaries, thereby producing more androgens.
3. Genetic factor- If you have a family history of PCOS, it’s highly probable that you may also get it as the disease is linked with your genes.
How To Live with PCOS
PCOS comes with numerous side effects like acne, obesity, infertility, excessive facial or body hair among others. There are certain lifestyle changes, which you may consider to manage PCOS and minimise its side effects.
1. Change your diet - Opt for a low carbohydrate, low sugar diet to keep your insulin levels in control, as insulin is responsible for increasing the severity of PCOS symptoms.
2. Try to maintain an ideal body weight - Obesity is known for worsening insulin resistance, and you can prevent this by regularly keeping your weight in check. You can practice some easy at-home exercise to reduce weight besides having a balanced diet.
3. Get yourself checked regularly - Visit a doctor and get yourself checked regularly for potential health risks as PCOS is often associated with increased chances of diabetes, heart diseases, certain forms of cancer, hypertension, and high LDL (bad) cholesterol levels.
4. Join a support group - Joining a PCOS support group will help you cope with your emotional difficulties, while helping you to live a better life by cultivating an optimistic outlook.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on 'Consult'.
I have suffering with itching with my all body I am 32 years old man also I am fit but want to loose my stomach fat pls help.
I found blood coming from my urethra after urination. I felt pulling pain too after urination. 3-4 hrs later I didn't feel any pain. What might be the reason Doctor.
Prolonged body ache and headache almost a month. Intermittent fever. Rashes on face and chest which cause itching. Hb, tlc, dlc, widal-- all tests normal Fever ranges from 99-102 Cough. Irritation. No appetite Medication:- Cepodem dolamide Liv52-syrup.
I am having Psoriasis since 15 year I took many of medicine no result what can you help me for this.
I am diabetic, although diabetes is well under control with medicines, but still I suffer from peripheral neuropathy. Libido very low. Erection not very good. Kindly advise.
I am 26 old married female. I have got married 5 years ago. I don't have children yet. And now I had POCD operation 2 weeks ago. Is there any chance to get pregnancy? If there is, In how many days will I get pregnancy after this operation? Please let me know.
My age is 23 I have a erectile dysfunction mera penis kabhi fully errected hota hain kabhi nhi mujhe kisi ne bataya hain herbal medicine shilajeet is problem ko thik kar dege so main kitne capsules daily khao please tell me.
I made a post a while back describing joint pain and problems walking and was told it could be arthritis or vitamin D deficiency. I got some blood work done and my results came out normal and when I got x-rays done on my hands and knees they were also normal. I feel like I'm just making it up,
Sir im a TB patient I am completed 6 months treatment im feeling very weak in future it is possible to attack TB on mee? And sometimes im getting chest pain also. What is the reason.
Hello sir, I had jock itch near on my inner thighs 5 years back, earlier I didn't paid much attention, but slowly it spreaded to my penis, scrotum, all that area became hyper-pigmented. A few days back, I noticed that my flesh is also getting softer in the affected area. Also it feels like dead flesh in inner thighs, and on my penis. I could not feel any touch or press on my penis or testes properly. Please help me sir. Please suggest medication, as the creams like Surfaz SN and Lobate GM are not curing it.
1. Relieves stress
2. Strengthen immunity
3. Encourages normal blood circulation
4. Fight common respiratory problems
5. Combat stomach discomfort
6. Help relieve menstrual cramps
7. Relieve nasal congestion and sore throat
Epilepsy is a form of chronic disorder and it is characterized by recurrent seizures. The episodes of epileptic seizures may differ from person to person. These seizures could be a result of genetic disorder or a result of trauma or stroke. During a seizure, a patient may also experience symptoms of neurological disorders and sometimes lose consciousness.
Medical help for epilepsy
Epilepsy itself cannot be cured using medication, but proper medicines help in eliminating recurrent seizures. These medicines stabilize the electrical activity within the brain preventing seizures.
How effective is the medication for epilepsy?
The success of controlling seizures using medicines depends on the type and severity of the epilepsy. Medicines for epilepsy are usually very effective and may fully keep seizures under control. However, controlling seizures caused due to brain problems may be more difficult. Usually, epilepsy medicines can control seizures for a long period of time when they are taken regularly.
When is medical help needed?
The decision about when to start medicines for epilepsy is a tricky one. This is because a first seizure cannot confirm whether a person has an on-going epilepsy problem. A second seizure may occur after many years or may not happen at all. Prediction of seizures is also quite difficult.
The severity of seizures also indicates when to start medicines for treatment. In case a first seizure is quite severe, medication should be started at once. Some people have very mild seizures even though they may be recurring in nature, and medication can be avoided in this situation.
All the pros and cons must be thought over before starting medications for the treatment of epilepsy. It is advisable to wait for a second seizure and then start medications for treatment. In most cases, medication is started after a second seizure occurs, twelve months within the first seizure. You should always consult a doctor to know when you need to start taking medicines to treat the condition.
For making the most out of the medicines to control seizures, you should follow certain steps:
- You must take medications exactly as your doctor has prescribed.
- Before switching to generic versions of your medicines or before taking other prescribed medicines, you must consult your doctor.
- You should never stop taking the medicines.
- In case you experience enhanced depression, mood swings and suicidal thoughts, you should talk to your doctor immediately.
- In case you have migraine, you should let your doctor know so that he can prescribe you anti-epileptic medicines, which also prevent migraines.
Medicines cannot treat the underlying cause of epilepsy, but these help in controlling seizures and this is the most common symptom of epilepsy. Medication should be started at a proper time and must be continued without stopping.