Doctor in Skinnovation Clinics
Dr. Sumit Gupta provides answers that are very helpful, well-reasoned, thorough, caring and inspiring. Thank you so much doctor
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Sumit Gupta to be professional. Nice
Dr. Sumit Gupta provides answers that are knowledgeable. Ba
A head louse is an insect that lives on the human scalp and feeds on human blood. The female louse lays eggs in the head and makes sure the eggs are attached to the hair shaft. It takes around eight days for the egg to hatch. The louse takes another 11 days to mature into an adult louse.
The primary cause of head louse is poor personal hygiene.
Other methods by which a person becomes infected by lice are -
1. Using combs and towels that are infested
2. Coming in contact with another person who has this condition
3. Sharing the bed with a person who is affected by lice
When a person is affected by this condition then the following symptoms are seen :
The saliva of the lice causes an allergic reaction in the scalp which leads to constant itching. It can occur in various places such as ears, scalp and the neck. It may not occur initially, but it tends to occur after a few weeks.
2. Small red bumps
Constant scratching can lead to red bumps on the skin. A bacterial infection usually occurs from constant itching.
3. It may lead to symptoms of dandruff in the scalp.
4. Presence of various insects in the scalp.
Prevention of Lice -
Lice can be prevented by using medicated shampoos and conditioners to wash the hair. The shampoos are usually based on a chemical called permathrin. This compound is toxic for lice and helps in getting rid of it.
You can opt for the following lifestyle changes to prevent lice -
1. You should avoid sharing your hairbrush with others
2. In case you have long hair, tie it in buns or ponytails
3. Add tea tree oil to your shampoo before using it
4. Keep the scalp clean to prevent infestations
5. Avoid sharing pillows and clothes
Skin irritants are everywhere. Even in your house, there is practically no place where there are no skin irritants. Laundry detergents, air fresheners and floor polishes are just a few factors that cause skin itching. The reason why this happens is because products like air fresheners and floor polishes take away essential oils and water from the skin which leads to dryness and irritation. This type of dry, itchy skin can also progress to skin conditions like eczema.
Here are some ways you can stop your skin from becoming dry and itchy:
1. Wear gloves
The ideal thing to do would be to wear soft, thin cotton gloves and only wear rubber gloves on top of that. Do not touch a bucket or sponge without it. Even if you cannot wear soft, thin cotton gloves underneath, at least wear the rubber gloves as this protects your hands from irritants.
2. Rinse after swimming
Chlorine is one of the principal causes of itchiness in your skin. It is absolutely essential that once you have finished swimming you rinse your body with water and a little soap. Even more importantly, use a moisturizer with glycerin in it, as this will keep the moisture trapped inside. Glycerin is particularly good at holding on to moisture.
3. Petroleum jelly
Petroleum jelly has been proven to reduce the chances of dry, itchy skin because it contains only one ingredient. This one-ingredient formula is especially great when it is applied to sensitive skin. The reason why one ingredient is better than a moisturizer with many chemicals is because a one ingredient formula is gentler and therefore creates a protective barrier against irritants.
4. Oatmeal baths
For this kind of treatment, grind oatmeal in a blender and then sprinkle it in your bath water. Oatmeal has an anti-inflammatory substance known as avenanthramides which decreases itching and redness of the skin.
This is perhaps the most important tip which can be given. If you do not regularly clean your floors or wash your bed sheets in hot water than you are at a high risk of getting mites and these are one of the most common irritants of your skin.
Aging is a combination of bodily changes and the impact of how we take care of ourselves. It is the impact of time on the human body, and it occurs on multiple levels.
Laser hair removal is one of the most commonly done cosmetic procedures. It beams highly concentrated light into hair follicles. Pigment in the follicles absorb the light. That destroys the hair.
I have fungal infection near genital. Which medicines should I take? Is fluconazole and dermikem oc + good for this? What should be the dose?
Vitiligo is a long-term problem in which growing patches of skin lose their color. The patches appear when melanocytes within the skin die off.Treatment options may include exposure to UVA or UVB light and depigmentation of the skin in severe cases.
A chemical peel is a form of skin treatment where an acid solution is used for the removal of damaged outer layers of the skin. Alpha hydroxyl acids and trichloroacetic acids are used in chemical peels. Phenol is also applied to the skin. Chemical peels aid in improving the skin’s appearance. The chemical acid solution makes the skin peel off. The new skin is much smoother and is less wrinkled.
Chemical peels are of several types:
- Superficial peels: In this type, alpha hydroxyl acid is used to penetrate the outer layer of the skin and exfoliates it gently. Superficial peels are used for improving the appearance of mild skin discoloration and rough skin.
- Medium peels: In medium peels, trichloroacetic acid is used for penetrating into the middle layers of the skin to remove damaged cells. Improvement in age spots, lines and wrinkles can be done using medium peels. Rough skin is smoothened.
- Deep peels: In the case of deep peels, trichloroacetic acid or phenol is used for penetrating the middle layers of the skin to remove damaged cells. Skin appearance is improved drastically.
Conditions treated with chemical peels
Chemical peels are used for the treatment of certain conditions. They can be used to treat the following conditions:
- Reduction in fine lines which occur under the eyes or around the mouth.
- Treatment of wrinkles which are caused due to sun damage or old age. This is done using chemical peels.
- Chemical peels help in improving the appearance of mild scars on the skin surface.
- Several types of acne are cured by chemical peels.
- Chemical peels help in reducing age spots, freckles and dark patches known as melasma, which occur because of pregnancy or because of taking birth control pills.
- The overall look and feel of the skin are improved after using chemical peels.
After a chemical peel treatment is done, the skin becomes extra sensitive to the sun. Hence, it is recommended to use a sunscreen lotion, which also protects against UVA and UVB light rays.
Are chemical peels safe?
Chemical peels are very effective and provide perfect rejuvenation to the skin. However, as far as safety is concerned, you should know that chemical peels have some side effects.
- They may result in a temporary or permanent change in the skin color, especially in women who take birth control pills.
- Scarring can occur and cold sores can get reactivated.
Chemical peels involve the use of chemicals or acid to improve the appearance and condition of the skin. This procedure is an effective one and satisfactory results are obtained.