Doctor in Skinnovation Clinics
Dr. Sumit Gupta provides answers that are very helpful, well-reasoned, thorough, caring and inspiring. Thank you so much doctor
Dr. Sumit Gupta provides answers that are knowledgeable. Ba
I have fungal infection near genital. Which medicines should I take? Is fluconazole and dermikem oc + good for this? What should be the dose?
Vitiligo is a long-term problem in which growing patches of skin lose their color. The patches appear when melanocytes within the skin die off.Treatment options may include exposure to UVA or UVB light and depigmentation of the skin in severe cases.
A chemical peel is a form of skin treatment where an acid solution is used for the removal of damaged outer layers of the skin. Alpha hydroxyl acids and trichloroacetic acids are used in chemical peels. Phenol is also applied to the skin. Chemical peels aid in improving the skin’s appearance. The chemical acid solution makes the skin peel off. The new skin is much smoother and is less wrinkled.
Chemical peels are of several types:
- Superficial peels: In this type, alpha hydroxyl acid is used to penetrate the outer layer of the skin and exfoliates it gently. Superficial peels are used for improving the appearance of mild skin discoloration and rough skin.
- Medium peels: In medium peels, trichloroacetic acid is used for penetrating into the middle layers of the skin to remove damaged cells. Improvement in age spots, lines and wrinkles can be done using medium peels. Rough skin is smoothened.
- Deep peels: In the case of deep peels, trichloroacetic acid or phenol is used for penetrating the middle layers of the skin to remove damaged cells. Skin appearance is improved drastically.
Conditions treated with chemical peels
Chemical peels are used for the treatment of certain conditions. They can be used to treat the following conditions:
- Reduction in fine lines which occur under the eyes or around the mouth.
- Treatment of wrinkles which are caused due to sun damage or old age. This is done using chemical peels.
- Chemical peels help in improving the appearance of mild scars on the skin surface.
- Several types of acne are cured by chemical peels.
- Chemical peels help in reducing age spots, freckles and dark patches known as melasma, which occur because of pregnancy or because of taking birth control pills.
- The overall look and feel of the skin are improved after using chemical peels.
After a chemical peel treatment is done, the skin becomes extra sensitive to the sun. Hence, it is recommended to use a sunscreen lotion, which also protects against UVA and UVB light rays.
Are chemical peels safe?
Chemical peels are very effective and provide perfect rejuvenation to the skin. However, as far as safety is concerned, you should know that chemical peels have some side effects.
- They may result in a temporary or permanent change in the skin color, especially in women who take birth control pills.
- Scarring can occur and cold sores can get reactivated.
Chemical peels involve the use of chemicals or acid to improve the appearance and condition of the skin. This procedure is an effective one and satisfactory results are obtained.
Eyelid Lift, Blepharoplasty and Ptosis surgery are terms related to modes of eye surgeries. However, they are not the same and have got some basic differences. As we become old, our awareness towards the puffiness around the eyes increases. We also sense the extra skin over the eyelid and the droopiness. The above-mentioned surgeries are meant for correcting these disorders. Each surgery is meant for the treatment of a different disorder or condition.
We must know about these three procedures and the major distinctions between an eyelid lift, blepharoplasty and ptosis surgery.
- Eyelid lift: This is a generic term or word, and it may refer to blepharoplasty, as well as ptosis surgery. Eyelid lift is not a technical name of any mode of surgery. It refers to the lifting of eyelids in general, for which several surgeries are conducted. It refers to any form of surgery where the tissues are lifted, repositioned or trimmed for lifting of the eyelids.
- Blepharoplasty: This is an actual surgical procedure carried out on the eyelids. In this surgery, excess skin is removed or the fat present is repositioned in order to remove the puffiness o the eyelids. In case of the upper eyelid, this surgery disposes off extra skin, which may hang over the eyelashes. Unwanted fullness is also reduced. The same thing is carried out in case of the lower eyelid. In some cases, the skin of the lower eye is not removed. Instead, it is moved to a different area such as the cheek.
- Ptosis surgery: This mode of surgery is carried out for lifting the upper eyelids. This is done by manipulation of the muscle tendon on the eyelids which have stretched out. The weakening of the tendons may happen due to ageing, LASIK or cataract surgery, or because of using contact lenses. In a ptosis surgery, excess fat and skin from the eyelids are removed as well.
It's vital for anyone to know about eyelid surgeries and the basic difference between the terms eyelid Lift, blepharoplasty and ptosis surgery. While the eyelid lift is a general term, Blepharoplasty and Ptosis surgery fall under the modes of eyelid lift surgery. Choosing the best mode for your eyelids depends on the condition and symptoms you experience, and they may vary among people. Such surgeries are performed by oculo-facial surgeons.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!