Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Shubhangi PandyYour feedback matters!
If you are thinking of adopting one of the effective birth control measures, you can try an intrauterine device (IUD). An IUD is a small plastic device which is placed in the uterus and it helps in preventing the pregnancy. A plastic string is attached to one end for ensuring proper placement and for removal. An IUD can be removed easily and is a reversible birth control method. There are several advantages and disadvantages of using IUDs.
There are two types of IUDs which are commonly used. They are as follows:
- Hormonal IUDs: In case of hormonal IUDs, a small amount of progestin is released into the lining of the uterus. This hormone is similar to the progesterone hormone. This hormone helps in thickening the cervical mucus, thereby, making it difficult for the entry of sperm into the cervix. The growth of the uterine lining is slowed down, which makes fertilised eggs inhospitable.
- Copper IUDs: In this form of IUD, a tiny amount of copper gets released into the uterus. Sperm is prevented from entering the egg as they get immobilised on the way to the fallopian tubes.
- Most women who have used this contraceptive device are satisfied with them, according to surveys.
- A woman using an IUD is protected from pregnancy totally and no other preventive measures such as taking a pill every day is required.
- These devices start working as soon as they are fitted and can easily be removed.
- They can be implanted in the uterus four weeks after giving birth to a baby or after an abortion.
- Breastfeeding is safe for women using copper IUDs.
- Using IUDs enables a woman to smoke cigarettes and high blood pressure is prevented.
- Women who use hormonal IUDs experience less blood loss during menstruation and less pain.
- IUDs can be used for several years.
- IUDs are quite expensive.
- IUDs can only be removed by a health professional.
- These devices do not provide protection from any sexually transmitted disease or HIV.
- The insertion of IUDs can cause a genital infection in the uterus and lead to pelvic inflammatory diseases.
- There are chances of an IUD getting misplaced in the uterus, which may lead to pregnancy and injuries as well. The wall of the uterus may get punctured upon insertion of this device, leading to cramping, backache and excessive uterine bleeding accompanied by pain.
It is important that you must consult a doctor before thinking of getting an IUD fitted. Several screenings and tests need to be carried out before deciding upon the IUD that would work best for you.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
What is reason for getting negative urine pregnancy test even after 15 days missed periods. We both are having hope of getting baby. But this making us to get worried.
Dear Dr, This question is on behalf of my wife. She is 27 year old (we been married for 1.5 months now). She got her usual period on Dec 27th and then we were flying to US on Jan 15th when she got a period which is less than 20 days. Now on Jan 31st she got very scanty light blood without further flow. Can you please advise on it. Thank you!
Hi I am 15 weeks pregnant and today something hit on my stomach, is this harmful to my baby? should I go to the doctor?
Hi there, lately I've been having alot of sex with my boyfriend sometimes we fuck 4 times in 24 hours, I just wanted to know if theres any harm in having this much sex in this short time, will my vagina be disturbed if I have even more sex, what about my boyfriend's penis? Please reply with as much detail about having sex and how much is good and how much is bad what adverse effects will it have on our health if any?
I am one month pregnant and would like to ask question, should I walk in a hilly area? please kindly suggest me. Thanks.
I am 27 Years old Female and suffering from PCOD for last 5 years. I am having midterm bleeding and have taken homeopathy also for 2 years but no cure. Suggest me to get rid of this problem.
I am mother of one year boy still I am feeding him. After one year I got period. July 25 I got August month period have not yet come. I checked kid test it's negative. Wat could b the problem.
I have 34 week pregnancy, on 19th April 2017 I will complete my 9 month. And this will b my 2nd baby my first delivery was cesarean and now my Dr. Had my ultrasound of Thickness of scare which is my 4-5 mm And the head of baby is lower side, please tell me what it means and when should I do delivery and is it possible for normal delivery.
I had intercourse first time on the day of my period but now I still didn't have my next period. Do period get delay a bit after having sex first time?
Oily skin results from overactive sebaceous glands that produce excessive sebum, which can clog pores of the skin. Clogged pores result in inflammation on the skin, thus causing breakouts. Oily skin can also appear shiny and dirty as oil tends to attract dirt. Oily skin also makes you prone to white heads, black heads and pimples. Open pores is another concern that people with oily skin have. These open pores can look disfiguring on the skin and lead to acne flare ups. You should focus on keeping your skin clean to prevent breakouts. It is recommended to undergo facials to keep your skin healthy and refreshed, and thus reduce oiliness on the skin.
Ways to control oil
- Facials help in renewing dead skin cells and improving blood circulation on the skin. This also helps in getting rid of the waste from under your skin to remove the puffiness. With this process, the pores are cleaned effectively so that there is no buildup of impurities. Any cleansing treatment for oily skin should also focus on controlling the oil so that the skin remains oil free for a long time period.
- You can also use a facial that uses botanical extracts such as burdock roots, kudzu and chamomile flower. These ingredients help in controlling and normalizing oil production and help to remove dirt and impurities from your skin effectively.
- If you have a skin that is acne prone, then you need to adopt a slightly different approach. Use a cleanser made from tea to soothe any inflammation on the skin. The toner should contain salicylic acid because of its anti-inflammatory properties that help in regulating oil production.
- Use a mask that is made out of sea mud to clean your pores efficiently. This mud absorbs extra oil and also prevents further breakouts. You may also use a mask that consists of buttermilk and synergistic tea blend to cool your skin.
Oily skin requires moisturizing, just like any other skin type. In this regard, make sure the moisturizers you use are mostly water based and oil free. The moisturizers should contain zinc oxide as it protects your skin and also reduces the redness of your skin that results from acne problem. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
I am 26 years old, since 4 years I am suffering with PCOD problem and heavy hair fall, weight gain, 5 months back I got married. I want to get rid of this PCOD problem. Please Help me.
Vaginal dryness is a painful and uncomfortable condition that can happen to women of any age. It is most common in menopausal women. Low estrogen levels during menopause can be one of the main causes of vaginal dryness. Childbirth, anti estrogen and lactation are some of the other causes of vaginal dryness.
Other medications like those taken during breast cancer treatment can cause vaginal dryness. Antidepressants and allergy and cold medicines too can cause vaginal dryness. Some other uncommon causes are the use of vaginal douches which disturb the chemical balance and the unusual autoimmune disease called sjö gren's syndrome.
Hormone replacement therapy (hrt) is usually advised to treat vaginal dryness. But many women do not opt for it as hrt can lead to breast cancer and cardiovascular diseases. Homeopathy can help you with symptoms of menopause by triggering the natural hormonal balance.
Most of the time homeopathic remedies focus on the bigger symptoms of menopause to handle the issue of dryness. Some of the most recommended homeopathic remedies are as follows:
- Sepia: if you have marked itching accompanied by dryness, if you get hot flushes that move up your body and mood swings, if you feel pain during coitus and are susceptible to vaginal discharge and yeast infections, then sepia is beneficial.
- Lycopodium: you may need lycopodium if you have hot flushes that move up to your face and if your sweat smells, and feels sticky. If there is inconsistency in urination and you get cramps in your legs, lycopodium can help in the long run.
- Natrum mur: pain during sex (dyspareunia) leads to low self-esteem and strained relationships. Natrum mur is the best medicine to treat vaginal pain that arises from dryness.
- Platina: vaginal dryness leads to both dyspareunia and vaginismus (inability to engage in vaginal penetration, for instance, penile penetration, inserting tampons, etc.). These issues can be treated with platina.
- Argentum nitricum: vaginal dryness can lead to bleeding during sex. Argentum nitricum is most beneficial if you experience pain during sex and bleeding thereafter.
- Bryonia: hot flushes with feeling faint, headaches and constipation are treated with bryonia.
- Folliculinum: if there are complaints of brown or yellow vaginal discharge, erratic menstrual cycle, constant cystitis and weight gain along with dryness, then folliculinum is prescribed.