Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Ophthalmologists online in Delhi. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Submit a review for Dr. Shashi ShekharYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Technology is both boon and bane. Most jobs nowadays are partially automated, and it has become necessary for many to work long hours on the computer. If you are one such person, then you might be experiencing one or many symptoms related to eyes. The eye muscles get fatigued when eyes stare on the computer screen for a long time, and this can cause a host of eye problems. Referred to as Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS), the condition can range from eye pain to problems with eye sight.
The following is a short account of a few simple but effective measures that you can follow to avoid eye problems caused by extensive use of computers.
- Simple Tips to Follow: Eye care regimen should be followed by everyone, but special care needs to be taken by the individuals who always works on the computers and has to look on the screen at all the times. The current digital age has greatly altered the way we use our eyes. Here are few simple tips you can follow in this regard.
- Take Eye Breaks: You should make it a point to turn your eyes away from the screen of the computer for giving a break to the eyes. While working at the computer, it is to be made sure to take a break every 20 minutes and look away at least 20 feet for a duration of about 20 seconds. This is more popularly known as the 20 – 20 Rule and very helpful for the eyes.
- Frequent Blinking: Frequent blinking leads to spread of tear film. It might happen that you need to stare at the screen of the computer for a long period of time which denies you of taking any kind of breaks. In this situation, it is recommended that you should blink more frequently which is beneficial for the health of the eyes.
- Use Eye Drops: This can be another healthy tip for the maintaining good and healthy eyes. Using the eye drops for the eyes which are actually artificial tears or eye lubricants which play a crucial role in reducing the strain in the eyes always keeping the eyes hydrated. One point is to be remembered here is that the eye drops should be used after consultation with an ophthalmologist so that no side effects arise later on.
- Using Computer Glasses: The individuals who heavily use computers can use single vision glasses for creating a gap between the eyes and the screen of the computer. A mininmum of 30 inches from eye is required. This can have a significant impact on the health of the eyes.
- Orthoptic Exercises: Certain types of muscle imbalances (forms of strabismus) can be improved with eye exercises. This form of therapy is called orthoptic therapy. The most common disorders that respond to orthoptic therapy are convergence insufficiency and intermittent exotropia.
- Anti-glare Screens: Anti-glare glasses can certainly help you work from your laptop screen more comfortably, but you can also protect your eyes by adjusting the screen so it's in a good position for your eye line. Remember to give your eyes a break every now and then by focusing on something in the distance.
Apart from these practices, adopting healthy lifestyle habits such as eating a balanced diet, exercising, quitting smoking and wearing sunglasses while out can help preserve eye health in general. Also, it is essential to undergo regular eye check up to catch any eye problems at its early stages.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Your eyes are one of the most significant of all the sense organs since it allows you to see things around you. It is essential to take good care of your eyes. But, many lack an awareness on ocular care. Read on to know a few lifestyle habits that will help in maintaining a good ocular hygiene thus ensuring normal vision.
Ensure your ocular hygiene with these healthy lifestyle habits
- Balanced diet: Eating right and maintaining a healthy diet does not just go for your overall health but your eye health as well. While carrots are good for your health, eating fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables offer the minerals and nutrients necessary for maintaining healthy eyesight. Dark leafy vegetables such as spinach or kale are especially good for eye health. Moreover, eating fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as tuna or salmon is very beneficial for maintaining proper eyesight.
- Right body weight: Body weight is indirectly related to eye health. An individual must maintain proper body weight since being overweight leads to health problems like diabetes and blood pressure. A person with diabetes is at risk of deteriorating eye sight caused by diabetic eye disease or glaucoma. If you have problems with weight maintenance, consult a health expert and seek professional guidance.
- Ocular hygiene: Maintaining ocular hygiene has become very important these days. Due to the level of pollution and germs around us, certain preventive measures need to be taken to prevent eye infections. People who play sports or perform other physical activities should wear protective eyewear. Wear safety goggles while swimming and make sure you wear polycarbonate eye gear if you play sports such as squash. These lenses are 10 times stronger than usual plastic and are available in protective eyewear stores as well as sporting goods stores.
- Quit smoking: Never take up smoking and if you already have then you better quit it as soon as possible. Just like for the rest of your body, smoking is very harmful to your eyesight as well. Research has proven that smoking causes severe macular degeneration, cataract and optic nerve damage in aging people. Over time, this can lead to permanent blindness.
- Protect your eyes: Sunglasses are not just meant for style, they also protect your eyes from harmful UV rays. While purchasing sunglasses, make sure the ones you purchase block out 99-100% UV-A and UV-B rays. Moreover, it is vital to give your eyes rest. If you work on the computer or watch TV, it is advised to look away from the screen for around 20 seconds in every 20 minute time interval. It is vital to get sufficient sleep as well.
Most of these tips may sound simple, but they are highly effective and can help avoid eye problems completely. And don’t forget to get your routine eye check-up done as well. All that is required is to incorporate these basic lifestyle changes to protect the amazing part of your body, your eyes. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ophthalmologist.