Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. SeemaYour feedback matters!
While some diseases and medical conditions affect people all over the world, there are some that are prevalent only amongst a certain cultural group or region. Dhat roga or Dhat syndrome is one such culturally bound syndrome that affects men in the Indian subcontinent region including India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal. In some cases, it may also affect the women of this region.
The word ‘Dhat’ originates from the Sanskrit word ‘Dhatu’ meaning ‘elixir of the body’. The condition was first described in 1960 by Dr Narendra Wig as a condition marked by psychosomatic symptoms such as fatigue, anxiety and sexual dysfunction caused by the passing of a whitish fluid or whitish particles that are believed to be semen in the urine. Other symptoms that person with this condition might express include weakness, lack of appetite, poor concentration and guilt.
How dhat is different from sperm leakage and premature ejaculation?
Dhat is the name given to the collective symptoms, such as sexual, psychological, and physical related to the passing of a whitish fluid, believed to be semen in urine. This is usually followed by psychological distress and anxiety due to semen-loss in patients. The word ‘dhat’ is derived from the Sanskrit word ‘dhatu’ which means ‘metal’ and/or ‘elixir’. Whereas, sperm leakage is a sexual dysfunction which happens due to weak parasympathetic nerves. What happens here is that seminal fluid oozes out of a flaccid penis. This is said to happen due to over masturbation. Dhat, on the other hand, is passing of seminal fluid in urine. And, premature ejaculation is something that happens at the time of coitus. In this, the male is unable to sustain an erection long enough for penetration and ‘comes’ prematurely. In this condition, penetrative sex doesn’t happen or happens for too short a period of time to satisfy the partner.
In the dhat syndrome, males usually believe that they have premature ejaculation and suffer from impotence apart from just leaking the white seminal fluid during urination. This loss frightens them into developing a sense of depression as the fear of semen loss is very strong in the subcontinent. Young men from a rural background or of a lower socioeconomic status typically complain of this syndrome. It may be further categorised under three heads:
- Only Dhat: In this case, the patients present with hypochondriacally oriented symptoms attributed to the loss of semen
- Dhat accompanied by anxiety or depression: In this case depression or anxiety is the core condition that may be accompanied by Dhat
- Dhat accompanied by sexual dysfunction: In such cases, the patient may complain of erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation or other psychosexual dysfunction conditions such as depressive neurosis, somatoform/ hypochondriasis or anxiety neurosis.
- Fatigue and listlessness
- Appetite loss
- Lack of physical strength
- Poor concentration and forgetfulness
- Sexual dysfunction
Common misconceptions about the disease
There are a number of misconceptions about dhat. Most patients think that the semen loss during urination will make them impotent or someway weaker sexually. This anxiety can be traced back thousands of years to certain Ayurvedic treatises in which the loss of a single drop of semen, the most precious body fluid, was enough to weaken the whole body. This cultural belief leads to a lot of stigma, guilt and depression related to dhat.
The morbid hypochondriacal fear that is associated with dhat syndrome is also stuff that myths are made of. Patients believe that dhat will irreversibly harm their bodies and they will be unable to produce male offspring, and that dhat will cause a death of offspring at an early age, lead to the birth of a malformed fetus; or cause anaemia, leprosy, tuberculosis, permanent impotency, and shrinking of the penis.
Factors apart from reproductive health which results in Dhat roga
- Nerves are responsible for keeping the semen locked in during a normal state in men. When nerves get weak, semen is discharged during urination or while doing normal activities in the form of a white discharge, called dhat.
- This problem further strains other organs like liver and a poorly functioning liver increases weakness related to muscles and also reduces energy levels, fat metabolism, and contaminates blood.
- Prostatitis, a disease of the prostate gland which secretes seminal fluids can also aggravate dhat.
- A weak digestive system, prone to constipation and piles also causes dhat. This is seen as a white discharge while defecation.
Modern science has not been able to understand an organic evolution of this condition and hence has no form of medication to treat it. Hence, it is often considered a neurotic condition. According to Ayurveda, apart from excessive masturbation and a weak reproductive health, conditions such as weak digestion, constipation and prostatitis can also trigger the symptoms of Dhat roga.
Ayurveda believes that the body always functions as a complete entity and hence no condition can be isolated and treated. Hence when treating diseases, it approaches it through changes in the person’s diet, exercise and lifestyle, mental health and overall physical health. In the case of treatment for Dhat roga, it is important for the doctor to first correct the patient’s erroneous beliefs and listen to the person before medicating him.
Tips and treatments in Ayurveda
Ayurveda postulates leading a controlled sexual life to counteract dhat.
- Charaka samhita postulates that semen is all pervasive within the body like "oil in the sesamic seed" and suggests one ejaculation per week in summer and 168 total yearly ejaculations as the optimal sexual frequency for males.
- Over-indulgence in sex and especially masturbation can cause an imbalance in the dhatus with a resultant physical illness called dhat.
- Use herbs which enhance energy and performance of the reproductive system. These herbs will remove debility and weakness and will elevate levels of testosterone hormone in the body to rejuvenate and re-energize the reproductive system.
- These pills also contain herbs which strengthen, repair and stimulate nerves and maintain an optimum supply of energy throughout the day to prevent semen discharge with urine.
- Shilajit is a herb that is known for enhancing sexual potency. Shilajit capsules come loaded with herbs which supplement minerals and nutrients in a bio-available form to remove deficiencies improving the functioning of organs and muscles to counteract fatigue.
Regular counselling is often advocated in such cases along with anti-anxiety and anti-depression medication. Medication may also be prescribed to keep semen from leaking into the urine. The patient is also taught to relax so as to ensure the smooth functioning of the genitourinary system. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Sexologist.
My age is 26 and I have delivered a baby 42 days ago. And my sacrum and coccyx bone pains sometimes.What is the reason?
I am 25 yrs old and married. I was suffering from typhoid cba and apd from one last month and had undergone through many medications. But now my periods are delayed. My date was 18 now its 23. I am not understanding why It happens. So tell me what to do.
She is around 40 years of age. Has thyroid. Lack of sleep and stressed. Gained weight. Discontinued thyroid medicines. Now its high. Any ayurvedic or home treatment for that. She is having irregular period with months of watery and yellow discharge. Has done d n c. No sign of any illness. Pap is normal.
My marriage is on 18 April. I want to prepare my periods please suggest medicine to prepare. Last period was 26 Feb and periods are irregular. Please suggest medicine.
One day I have severe pain in my chest I have an ultrasound. My ultrasound report says that there are anechoic cyst 24x36 mm in my right ovary. Its critical what can I do .before 6 month I have operated molar pregnancy is it related that or not.
I got married 2 year back. Planning for kids last 1 year but failing. I done semen analysis test. In that sperm count 15 and pus cell 8-10 please suggest.
Hello doctor am 8 months pregnant and eating lots of water melon. Is it ok or it may affect my baby inside. please let me know. And also say me how to increase the weight of the baby. Hope to get the answers soon and helpful thanking u.
I am 20 years old boy and I had unprotected sex with my gf before 20 days and she does not took any pills or anything to stop unwanted pregnancy. And now her periods have been late to 15-20 days. And still not having periods. She is 18 yrs old. And now she is too much scared of getting pregnant. What are the symptoms to know whether she is pregnant and what should we do to stop getting pregnant. Please help mee. Yours faithfully.
रोजमर्रा की जिन्दगी में सेक्स को अब एक आम बात माना जाने लगा है। युगल दिन भर के अन्य कामों की तरह ही रात को बिस्तर में हमबिस्तर होते हैं लेकिन इस तरह से जैसे यह भी कोई काम है जिसे करना जरूरी है।
इस तरह की क्रिया से सेक्स के प्रति रूचि कम होने लगती है और एक वक्त ऎसा भी आता है जब पति पत्नी के मध्य सेक्स की क्रिया नहीं के बराबर हो पाती है। यदा-कदा अगर ऎसा होता भी है तो इस क्रिया में वो आनन्द और मजा नहीं आता जिसकी चाह हर औरत और पुरूष को रहती है।आम तौर पर युवाओं में आजकल सेक्स के प्रति अरूचि होने के समाचार ज्यादा मिलते हैं। इसकी एक वजह जहां तनाव भरी जिन्दगी है वहीं दूसरी ओर इस कार्य को करने की जानकारी का अभाव है। अक्सर युगल रात को हमबिस्तर होते वक्त एक ही क्रिया से सेक्स करते हैं जिससे इस काम में आनन्द का अभाव महसूस होता है। हाल ही में एक सर्वे से यह साबित हुआ है कि अपनी सेक्स लाइफ को दिलचस्प और मनोरंजन बनाने के लिए सेक्स वीडियो या पोर्न फिल्मों को देखना चाहिए। इस वीडियोज और फिल्मों के जरिए रचनात्मकता के साथ सेक्स करने की प्रेरणा मिलती है। सबसे अहम बात यह है कि पोर्न वीडियो को सिर्फ मनोरंजन के लिए मत देखें, यदि आप उससे कुछ सीखने के प्रयास करेंगे, तो आपकी लव लाइफ बेहतरीन हो जाएगी।कई युगल ऎसे होते हैं, जो एक साथ बैठकर पोर्न फिल्में या पोर्न तस्वीरें देखने में झिझकते हैं। चाहे भले ही उनकी शादी को कई साल क्यों न हो गए हों। आम तौर पर महिलाएं ऎसे वीडियो या तस्वीरें देखने से झिझकती हैं। लेकिन सही मायने में ऎसा करने से सेक्स के प्रति भूख बढती है और सेक्स की इच्छा ज्यादा हो जाती है।वीडियो या पोर्न फिल्में एक साथ देखने से आप अपने पार्टनर के साथ ज्यादा खुल सकेंगे। इन्हें देखने के बाद आप सेक्स के नए तरीके इस्तेमाल कर सकते हैं। यही नहीं यदि आपके साथी को चरम सीमा तक पहुंचने में देर लगती है, तो पोर्न वीडियो इस मामले में कारगर साबित हो सकते हैं।यदि आपकी पार्टनर पोर्न तस्वीरें नहीं देखना चाहती है, तो अच्छा होगा कि आप उसे वीडियो दिखाएं। उन्हें ऎसे वीडियो दिखाएं जिसमें çस्त्रयों के एक्शन ज्यादा हों। इससे आपकी पार्टनर भी क्रियाएं बदल-बदल कर सेक्स करने में सहयोग करेगी और आपकी सेक्स लाइफ जिसमें रिक्तता महसूस होने लगी उसमें फिर से क्रियाशीलता आएगी।
She is suffering from carbuncles in buttock and it is difficult to sit or sleep and always causing pain/irritation. She is a school teacher and could not do her work due to continuous pain and irritation. Please suggest a treatment.
PytoberryQ is in homeopathy and it is for what uses and who can use it and dosage of it and it is for adults or children.
Ultrasound me mere baby kaafi kamjor h or move b km hi krta h to mujhe kya karna chahiye ki in last k 2 month me wo healthy ho jaye.
Mushroom is a type of fungi that hails from the Agaricus family. It is estimated that there are close to 1,40,000 types of mushroom, out of which science has been able to classify only 100 odd mushrooms for health benefits. From cutting down cholesterols to preventing cancers, increasing the strength of the immune system to helping in weight loss, there are numerous health benefits of mushroom. This article will explore why mushrooms are regarded so highly by health practitioners across the globe:
- Cholesterol levels: Mushroom does not possess any fat or cholesterol. They are rich in lean protein, fiber, and some very important enzyme. The lean protein found in mushroom helps to burn down the LDL cholesterol. Furthermore, it creates a good balance of LDL and HDL cholesterol so that the body can refrain from stroke, atherosclerosis etc.
- Preventing cancer: Mushrooms are mighty effective in blocking certain cancer types such as the breast and prostate cancer. Owing to their high linoleic acid and beta-glucans, they act as a very good anti-carcinogen. While linoleic acid can successfully suppress the excess estrogen which leads to breast cancer in women, the beta glucans can suppress the growth of cancer cells in the case of a prostate cancer.
- Diabetes: Mushroom is an ideal food for a diabetic patient. They do not possess cholesterol, consists of low fat, have high protein and a lot of minerals and vitamins. Apart from this, mushrooms possess a lot of fiber and water. The most critical component, however, is the natural insulin that mushroom has within itself. They help to break down the starch found in food items. Mushrooms have certain components that help in the proper functioning of the liver, endocrine gland etc. It ensures that the proper balance of insulin is maintained in the body.
- Bone health: Mushroom is a very good source of calcium. They ensure that adequate strength of various bones is maintained in the body. Regular intake of mushroom can ensure safeguard an individual from conditions such as osteoporosis, joint pain, and immobility.
- Blood Pressure: Mushroom variety such as the maitake and the shitake has a high amount of potassium content. The latter can successfully relax the blood vessels thereby, reducing the blood pressure. Increased potassium content also helps in knowledge retention and an improved memory. High blood pressure, on the other hand, can cause severe damage such as strokes, heart attacks etc.
- Selenium content: Selenium component is mushroom is one of the key ways to receive selenium for a vegetarian. Selenium helps in strengthening the bone, nail, tooth and hair. Selenium is also considered to be a very powerful antioxidant that can successfully get rid of free radicals in the body and strengthen the immune system. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dietitian/Nutritionist.