I am Dr Rita Bakshi, the consultant physician in Gynaecologist and IVF specialist at International Fertility Centre. Today, let us talk about Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) which is commonly heard by every single person. Every young girl now has a diagnosis of PCOS.
Now, what is PCOS?
This is a syndrome in which the girls have abnormal cycles. Abnormal cycles mean prolonged cycles, they bleed frequently and also they have symptoms of excessive androgens i.e, an excessive male hormone. So may see these girls have lot of hormones on their chin, neck, on their breast, on their arms. And also they have Acanthosis nigricans that mean they have darkness in their neck and they have small cysts in the ovary. This is just due to the hormonal pattern disturbance in girls and instead of having one egg every month, they have a number of eggs start developing but not even one good egg. So these girls not only have abnormal cycles, hair growth, loss of hair from the head, but also they may have some difficulty in getting pregnant.
Now, if I speak about the long term problems of PCOS is that there are most chances of Diabetes. And not only in them, but the chances of Diabetes in their siblings are also higher. Also, if you go in even longer term then the chances of endometrial cancer is also higher. So it is important to recognize this when it exists and how to treat it.
Now these girls are taking a lot of stress. So you have to teach them to stay stress-free by doing yoga, change their lifestyle, getting rid of junk food and do some exercises every day. 45 minutes of exercise every single day is going to work a long way to help them normalise the hormonal patterns. Besides that, these girls sometimes put on over contraceptive pills to regularise their cycles. There are some drugs like metformin and myo inositol which have come in a big way, which are changing the pattern. So there are some girls which are in slim PCOS and there are some under obese PCOS. So in obese PCOS, we have alfacalcidol and comunicacion which help these girls to lose weight and also develop the normal hormonal pattern. So we have to treat two patterns differently, a lean PCOS and an obese PCOS.
The girls should understand that this is not something for which they should be worried about. Yet it is a known entity so they should keep it under control and take help whenever required. It is important when we are trying to become fertile or trying to become pregnant that they can go to a specialist who is dealing with this problem and take some help. Because some help may be required to develop their eggs and help try to conceive.
One should know that their sister or mother or anyone is suffering from the same pattern. It is not something to worry much. My only emphasize is please do not get tensed, just change your lifestyle, do some exercise, take some help from doctors. And that is all you require to get overcome from PCOS.
If you require any help, you can consult me through Lybrate or can directly visit International Fertility Centre.read more
Symptoms of Menopause and its adverse effects and preventions
I am Dr Rita Bakshi. Chairman of National Infertility Centre, Gynecologist and obstetrician. Today I will talk about menopause.
The word itself means meno and pause means pause of menses. And that means stoppage of menstrual cycle of a woman. Now all of us women are in doubt with a certain quantity of eggs at beginning. At puberty we start our menses you know which is usually around 11-12 years. And this menses continues every month the cycle happens for three to five days every 28 to 35 days for everybody. It could be 28 days for some it could be 35 for the other. It could be 3 days for some and 5 days for other. So this is how the cycle happens every single month day in day out every month till we reach around age of 45 to 52 you know which is the usual age of menopause. That means the menses stop completely. Now the period before the menopause also called the perimenopause When your cycle start going a little long you know and there is a long period of gap with the cycles are about to stop. This is called the period of perimenopause.
Lot of changes one starts expecting at perimenopause. Now it is normal for women at this time to feel fatigued, to feel urinary symptoms. They do have you know pain during sex because of excessive dryness in vagina. You start losing your hair, losing your eyebrows and there are skin changes as the wrinkles and hot flushes. Hot flushes in something which many women have. Suddenly will get up at night. They are drenched in sweat. And even in winters their time to have the AC on. This what is hot flashes which happen? Some people have and some people don't have. You will have heard some of the people would just say that I just went into menopause I didn't even realize. There was not even a single change. While some women have very painful end to menses that means they have a huge heavy periods and they have all these symptoms and they have severe mood changes. One is so irritable one doesn't want to talk. And you are fighting you are frustrated. So all the things have to be taken in your stride. Because menopause is a very natural normal phenomena. And what do you do so, that your hormone estrogen is the one which is the problem. Because there are no eggs anymore so there is no estrogen that is why all these changes are happening.
One way is to have hormone replacement therapy. So if the symptoms are so strong that means hot flashing and this is really so disturbing then one can take hormones that is estrogen Progesterone replacement therapy or the HRT as it is called. Now if a person is on HRT one should keep getting investigated and see you know it doesn't cause cancer.
What are the things that should know in Menopause and after Menopause? In Menopause after Menopause male female nearly become equal. You know you are prone to heart disease Lipid profile changes So it is important when you are going into Menopause to get your lipid profile done to get your ECG done, to get your ultrasound done, to get your Pap smear done and get your mammo graphy done. All these tests should be done so that you know you are normal and there is nothing wrong in all that. Keep a good Lifestyle, must exercise. You know 40 minutes of exercise and especially weight bearing exercises are important. Be stress free, exercise, go out in the sun, enjoy your life, and if required take the help of hormones otherwise lot of tender loving care with lot of people around will just bite you through that period.
Dr. Rita Bakshi I am available either through lybrate or you can contact me at International Fertility Center H-6 Green Park, New Delhi-16. Thank you.read more
Here are some causes and treatments of infertility
Hello I am Dr. Rita Bakshi a fertility consultant. To make a baby it required a male and a female . A male sperm and female egg. Its very easy to blame a female for not having a baby but really speaking 50% of the cause lies with the male Or the sperm.
Today I would like to tell you that male that means the sperm produced in the factory called the testis they carry through the tubes and then they come out and ejaculate. Now the problem can be in factory itself that means there are no sperm being made it could be in the tubes that means obstructive where you know tubes are blocked and sperms are being produced but they are not coming out in ejaculate or the problem could be in the structure or the function of the sperm. That means the numbers and the motility its very common you know we have seen patients from Afghanistan, Iraq who are and if you see the number of sperm they have a very few or none it does not appear. Otherwise but single one sperm test done three days of abstinence when the male does not had any ejaculation for three days if he gives us sperm sample its very easy to see the number the motility the fallacy of the sperm weather to see its normally or not now people with obstructive so you know if you there is an obstruction and the sperm production is normal.
Then we either open the tube, the carrying tube or we can take out the sperm directly from testis by putting a needle and then doing an IVF procedure. I really like to give hope to all the males who are carrying this guilt of not having a baby because of the problem with them. But today it is possible, it is very much possible to have a baby of your own by the process of IVF, XE, IMC and carry your own genetic material forward. Of course lifestyle modifications like you know controlling alcohol controlling smoking drugs going for exercise you know keeping the diabetes under control not taking you know. People are taking a lot of strain so they have an ejaculation problem or they have impotence.
So all these causes can be easily dealt with in the process of IVF. it really doesn't matter because of you are able to give sperms or we are able to take out the sperm from testis sperm do. The process of IVF XE and give you your own baby now. That is so important so male do not lose hope their is so much hope in the proved of IVF XE. Keeping a good lifestyle is very important please maybe you don't realise that smoking has a huge territial effect on activity of the sperm. Taking lot if antioxidant is very important so keep a good lifestyle go to the Doctor there is enough health going for the procedure which can give you your own baby so. My motto in life is to have at least one child per couple.
OCPC is what I really believe in and for that I would like all of you who would like to contact me I am available at Lybrate. I am also available on my consult me online.read more
Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Gynaecologists online in Delhi. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Rita Bakshi
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Rita BakshiYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Rita Bakshi to be caring, well-reasoned and very helpful. Share feedback in your own words...
It's been more than a year now, and I have noticed considerable change in myself. Over the period of time I noticed a number of changes in myself. Even though I was fit and fine, it was shocked when I got to know that I have polycystic ovary synDrome. The entire International Fertility Centre in Delhi was spotlessly, clean. She is very patient with all her patients. Dr Rita Bakshi doesn't just randomly prescribes medicines, but first properly diagnoses the problem.
I searched this Rita Bakshi online and saw her reviews. My previous experiences were not so good, but Rita Bakshi has completely changed my opinion as she is very helpful and humble. On the very first day she identified my problem. she did my in IVF. The overall atmosphere in the International Fertility Centre Delhi is very soothing. The complete process of in IVF was so painless and quick, and i am so relieved that I chose to consult her.
Dr Rita Bakshi is very talented and seasoned doctor. It was so quite pleasant in the International Fertility Centre Delhi. Overall fertility treatment was very effective. Dr Rita Bakshi guidance has helped me immensely and has helped gain confidence. The best thing about Rita Bakshi is that she prescribes limited no. of medicines. Hygiene is very important, and I must International Fertility Centre Delhi was extremely clean.
Never thought I will suffer from irregular periods like this. She is so pleasant to talk to and always ready to answer your doubts. I was in too much pain because of irregular periods, but even after consulting a number of doctors, I was not getting any relief. she gave me an amazing treratment .One of my colleague referred Dr Rita Bakshi. The overall atmosphere in the International Fertility Centre is very soothing.
Due to my delay periods my daily activities were suffering. All the staff members were very helpful. The entire International Fertility Centre Delhi is very nicely designed. She ensures that she listens to her patients. It has been quite some time that i was suffering from delay periods. In the very first sitting, Rita Bakshi clearly told us the problem and the what the treatment procedure will be in future.
I was having very bad thoughts regarding my pregnancy. I consulted many doctors but was not able to conceive. By chance, I approached Dr Rita for second opinion and thank god, i did because, she treated me without any surgery and all. She told the reason and how the treatment will be done. I am so thankful to him for the treatment. I must say she is the best gynaecologist in the city.
I was in so much stress due to my problem of infertility. The International Fertility Centre Delhi have proper facilities for disabled patients as well. The overall atmosphere in there is very soothing. I remember, I read an article of Dr Rita in the paper and made contact. She is one of the best physicians in city. due to her and the infertility treatment by her I didn't lose hope.
I was having very bad thoughts regarding my no periods problem. Even in case of long queues, the staff was managing people in a very positive manner. Not only she is very calm and composed, but is also a very understanding doctor. Rita Bakshi has so much knowledge that for everything my family takes her reference.she gave me a treatment for my problem of no periods.
Dr.Rita Bakshi is a well known IVF specialist. we feel lucky and extremely blessed to have been treated by her. She dealt with my issue aptly and after 8 months of constant medication I am healthy and expecting to conceive soon. Thank you Dr.Rita.
I had PCOS since years. I got treated at 3 clinics but PCOS signs came back again everytime. I had lost all hope. When I met Dr Rita, I had great hopes, which were fulfilled. Thank you Dr Rita.
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Rita Bakshi to be inspiring. My amh profile and hormonal profile both are normal.thanks for the suggestion as i dont want to get operated.
I and my wife visited her clinic in 2015. Without Dr Rita bakshi's help and support, we would not have been able to become a parent. May she reap huge success in future.
She is a an amazing doctor. I was very worried. After meeting Dr. Rita Bakshi, our hopes were restored. Now we are parents of a healthy baby. Thank you Dr Rita.
Dr Rita is the best IVF doctors in India. She is a great person, very supportive and takes good care of her patients. May she have more success in future.
We are pleased to visit Dr Rita Bakshi. She is the best doctor for us. We are now parents of a baby boy because of her. Thank you so much Dr Rita.
Dr. Rita Bakshi provides answers that are very helpful. Thanks doctor, what is pcod? N whts th cost of that test.
Dr. Rita is supportive & very helpful. She guided me thoroughly during the treatment. Thank you so much Dr. Rita.
Dr Rita bakshi is the best IVF doctor in India. We had a great experience at her clinic. Wish her huge success.
1- Had a great conversation with Dr. Rita Bakshi. Just the way she solved all my problems was remarkable.
Dr Rita is the best doctor. She explains things very nicely and we had a satisfactory experience.
Dr. Rita Bakshi provides answers that are very helpful. Thank you so much for your help doctor..
The fallopian tubes are two thin tubes, one on each side of the uterus, which lead to developed ovaries in the uterus. At the point when a hindrance keeps the egg from going down the tube, the woman has a blocked fallopian tube. It can happen on one or both sides.
The most widely recognized reason for blocked fallopian tubes is a pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). PID is the after effect of a sexually transmitted disease, however, not every pelvic disease is identified with STDs. Likewise, regardless of the possibility that PID is not present anymore, a past filled with PID or pelvic contamination builds the danger of blocked tubes.
Other potential reasons for blocked fallopian tubes are:
- Current or history of an STD disease, particularly Chlamydia or Gonorrhea
- History of uterine disease brought about by a fetus removal or unsuccessful labor
- History of stomach surgery
- Past ectopic pregnancy
- Earlier surgery including the fallopian tubes
The most effective methods to discover whether your fallopian tubes are blocked, are as follows:
To figure out if your fallopian tubes are hindered, your specialist may recommend a laparoscopy or a hysterosalpingogram (HSG).
- In an HSG test, a catheter, through the vagina (cervix), embeds fluid color into the uterus. At that point, X-rays are taken to check whether there is a blockage or if the color streams into the stomach area. Another technique called sonosalpingography for HSG, utilizes saline water and air as opposed to color and ultrasound during an X-ray. In case that you have issues with your fallopian tubes, your specialist may prescribe surgery to redress the harm or unblock the tubes.
- In case you are ovulating ordinarily, your specialist may likewise consider helped proliferation procedure that ignores the fallopian tubes altogether. These can incorporate intracytoplasmic sperm infusion (ICSI), manual sperm injection specifically into the uterus (IUI) and in vitro fertilization (IVF). IUI cannot be done if tubes are blocked.
- In case that you have one open and one blocked tube, you may have the capacity to get pregnant without an excess of assistance. Your specialist may give you fertility medications to increase the odds of. This is impossible when both tubes are blocked.
- Now and again, laparoscopic surgery can open blocked tubes or evacuate scar tissue that is bringing on issues. Tragically, this treatment often does not generally work. The shot of achievement depends upon how old you are (the more youthful, the better), how severe and where the blockage is, and the reason for the blockage.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Uterus (Womb) Transplantation: When Should You Go For It?
Wondering what went so wrong? Why did you have to go through failed IVF cycle? After failed IVF treatment, your mind is bombarded with so many questions. Failed IVF treatment is not the end of the world, there is still a hope. You could still be pregnant with a child; it’s a matter of time and patience. International Fertility Centre (IVF) is the hope and blessing for so many infertile couple, globally, with the highest success rate for IVF treatment.
International Fertility Centre and Dr. Rita Bakshi
Failure of IVF treatment is not something that cannot be treated. International Fertility Centre offers successful IVF treatment even after failure of earlier IVF cycles. We make sure our team provides you the best possible outcome as per your satisfaction. IFC is equipped with the modernized technology for IVF treatment to produce desired outcome. Dr. Rita Bakshi is the reputed IVF specialist and is worldly renowned for her excellence record in the field of ARTs. She offers the best guidance, consultation and never lets the patient to breakdown emotionally, mentally or physically.
Reasons behind failed IVF cycle
Failed IVF cycle is not unusual and it’s not just you. It is a very common problem and generally, for some couples it takes 2-3 IVF cycles to get pregnant with a child. There are many factors that result in IVF failure.
Age of a woman and her partner plays a significant role for successful IVF treatment. Probability of failed IVF cycle for the woman below 35 years of age is lower than the woman above 35 – 40 years of age. Age of the egg matters if used a donor egg as the egg quality weakens as the age increases.
With the increased age, chromosomal abnormalities also increases that leads to greater chances of miscarriage and failure of pregnancy. Embryo formed after fertilization starts showing abnormal behavior resulting in IVF failure.
Sperm used during IVF treatment should be of good quality. Low sperm quality is the very common factor for miscarriage and improper fertilization of embryo to result in pregnancy.
Problems with egg retrieval
Sometimes the stimulation of ovaries is not proper even after IVF medications which results in production of lower than expected eggs and of worse quality. This makes it difficult to retrieve good quality eggs for fertilization.
Imperfect embryo implantation
After fertilization, right positioning of embryo into the uterus is required to result in pregnancy. When an embryo is not placed at required place, it hinders the growth and development of an embryo and results in failed IVF cycle.
At International Fertility Centre, our gynecologists use the best medication for best ovarian response and embryo selection technique used at our fertility centre is also promising. Implantation of embryo is undertaken with great care and attention so as to drive positive results.
In case you are focused and happy during your pregnancy, you will, in all probability, have a sound and healthy baby. It is normal to be somewhat worried about the complications that are going on in your life and in your body.
However, in case you are not resting and are on edge without stopping for even a minute, in such a case you must approach your maternity specialist or doctor for assistance. Regardless, increased amount of tension may affect your child. That is on account of the anxiety hormone cortisol that can cross the placenta and affect the building squares of your child's growth and advancement.
Here are some tips to reduce the baby stress:
- Rest and concentrate on your child: Resting is beneficial for you and your child, so do not feel regretful about it. Invest significant energy to concentrate on your baby. Listen to your body. In case you are feeling tired, go to bed early. Your body is striving to feed your developing baby and you require all the rest you can get.
- Discuss it: In case you are stressing over your infant's growth, or an individual matter, you can simply go to your birthing specialist for discussion. Try not to be scared to express how you are genuinely feeling. If you are straightforward, you will probably get the boost you require.
- Eat well: Eating healthy is useful for your brain and your body. A sound eating diet of omega-3 unsaturated fats, vitamins and minerals can lift your energy levels. The omega-3 unsaturated fats found in slick fish and fish may decrease the stress. Try to have salmon, fish, mackerel, sardines, pilchards and trout.
- Work out: Exercise can improve your health. It is usually recommended to exercise during pregnancy. In case you did not exercise before you were pregnant, now may be a decent time to begin. Make it delicate work out, however. Swimming is perfect, as it keeps you conditioned, without being too hard on your joints.
- Plan for birth: You can likewise take free online antenatal classes. In case you are having an arranged cesarean, speak with your birthing assistant or obstetrician about what will occur on the day. Drawing up a cesarean birth plan can help you feel more sure, confident and in control.
- Adapting to driving: Driving can be a noteworthy source of stress, and it tires you all the more intensely. Inquire as to whether you can keep away from peak hours, maybe beginning and completing work sooner than .usual. This should not be too difficult since your boss and your company are mostly obligated to grant you with such demands.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
As couples prepare for pregnancy, it is easy to focus only on the woman's health. However, there are several habits men need to be forming during these critical months of preparation too. Issues of fertility do not rest solely on the female.
'agents that may cause birth defects do not reach the developing fetus through the father as they do from the pregnant mother,' but we do know that male exposure to certain substances can lead to some preliminary problems with fertility and also slightly elevate the risk of certain birth defects.
Male infertility alone accounts for approximately 1/3 of all infertility cases. Should fertility issues arise, you should plan ahead to be in the best physical condition to conceive.
Clean out the medicine cabinet
Eliminate as many medications from your routine as possible. Talk with your physician about your prescription medications. You may need to discontinue use or try something new.
The following medications have been known to impact male fertility:
- Tagamet (cimetidine), sulfasalazine, and nitrofurantoin are used to treat ulcers, gastrointestinal problems, and urinary tract infections. These medications may impact sperm production and sperm count.
- Steroids, such as prednisone and cortisone, which are used to treat asthma, arthritis and skin conditions, impact male fertility.
- Chemotherapy and radiation could cause sterility or a significant change in sperm quality and quantity.
Take a good look at your work environment
Your work environment may be a contributing factor to your fertility. Ongoing exposure to certain agents such as pesticides, chemical fertilizers, lead, nickel, mercury, chromium, ethylene glycol ethers, petrochemicals, benzene, perchloroethylene, and radiation can lower sperm quality, quantity and possibly lead to infertility or miscarriage.
Eat and sleep
What you eat can make a difference. Find out what your proper weight range should be and make the necessary dietary and exercise changes to get there. Studies suggest that some men with low sperm count also have a zinc deficiency.
The following foods are high in zinc and could increase your fertility:
- Wholegrain cereals
- Selenium, which is found in brazil nuts
Adding more vitamin e may also help the process along. There are male fertility supplements available containing vitamins, minerals and other ingredients designed to help improve overall reproductive health.
Also, keep in mind getting plenty of rest is good for everything that ails you, even low sperm count and sperm quality.
Avoid alcohol and other substances
Eliminate alcohol, tobacco, marijuana and any illicit drugs. Too much alcohol may reduce zinc levels, and drugs decrease sperm quality. There is some research that may link smoking and certain rare heart defects, but further studies must be done to make an accurate conclusion. Marijuana has been proven to affect sperm quality and sperm count, but there is no evidence that shows that marijuana causes birth defects.
Keep your testicles cool
Heat from hot tubs, saunas, long showers (more than 30 minutes), heating pads, electric blankets, and tight clothing like briefs and spandex could cause your testicles to become too hot, which decreases sperm quantity.
Stay away from cycling
Cycling can cause a lot of friction and jostling, which increases the temperature of your testicles. The rise in temperature and possibility of injury may cause a low sperm count.
One of the major milestones in a woman’s life is the entry into motherhood. For most women, when this does not happen in the natural logical sequence of things, there is anxiety and lot of pressure from family and friends. However, with advancements now, there are options like intrauterine insemination and in vitro fertilisation (IUI and IVF) available, which can help increase the chance of conception and pregnancy.
IVF is where the egg is retrieved from the woman’s womb, fertilised externally and then transplanted back into the uterus where it grows to full term. However, there are always unanswered questions like how long to wait before going for IVF, is it the right procedure for me, etc.
Read on to find answers to some of these questions.
- Maternal age: As a woman reaches 35 and a man reaches 40, the fertility rates drop significantly. The chances that a woman at 35 will conceive is about 20%, which goes down to 5% if the woman is 40. However, this rate can be significantly increased by using IVF, moving it up to about 80%. The quality of the egg would gradually deteriorate, and so if a woman is nearing 40, it is better to consider IVF as the ovarian reserve would be optimal with IVF.
- Failed intrauterine insemination: In couples who have problems with the sperm reaching the uterus, intrauterine insemination (IUI) is first attempted. However, if 3 or more attempts of fail, it is time to consider IVF.
- Duration of inability to conceive: While some couples conceive quite promptly in a month or two, most take about 6 to 8 months of unprotected sex to conceive. Therefore, IVF can be an option if you are failing to conceive even after a year. Less than a year, don’t fret. Take it easy and it might just do the trick.
- Medical health: Both the partner’s medical health should be taken into account. Lifestyle changes like smoking, alcohol abuse, drug abuse should be considered, which can account for poor sexual performance and therefore lead to an inability to conceive. Health conditions like diabetes and heart disease can also lead to infertility. Hypothyroidism in women is another thing that must be ruled out, as it often leads to an inability to conceive.
- Sexual problems with the partner: One of the first things to do before going for IVF is to check that the male does not have any issues. Be it erection issues or ejaculation issues or sperm issues, they need to be ruled out. Sperm quality, quantity, and motility have to be analysed, and if they are optimal, IVF can be considered.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Gynaecologist.
Menopause is a condition that marks the end of the menstrual cycle. It is a normal phenomenon that women experience with age. Menopause affects the bone health adversely. Bone health is directly tied to oestrogen, the hormone responsible for reproductive cycles, pain sensitivity. As a woman moves out of her fertile years there is an internal change in the reproductive system and the consequences can be seen and felt all over the body, including the bones.
The years just preceding menopause, with their hormonal fluctuations can set the stage for later health issues like bone weakening. As the oestrogen level drops, the bone density starts to decline which continues for a long period of time. The bone loss can become significant during perimenopause (the decades making up to menopause) and will speed up in the first few years of menopause.
The oestrogen level directly affects the process known as bone remodelling; the constant breakdown and the remodelling of the bone in the skeleton. With less oestrogen in the body cells called osteoclasts are able to absorb bone at a faster rate than osteoblasts (bone-building cells) are able to regenerate new bone. Thus the bone remodelling equation is no longer equal and the bone density continues to decline.
The osteoporosis risk after menopause is a serious one, yet so many women refuse to pay it much attention. Perhaps it’s because the bone damage isn’t visible, or that bone loss continues so gradually for so many years. While the bone loss cannot be completely halted, there is plenty that can be done to slow it down. Here are some ways to take care of your bone health before or after menopause.
- Stay active: Adopting an active lifestyle after menopause helps in protecting the bones. It's recommended that adults between 19 to 64 years of age should do moderate to intense activity. This could include activities such as cycling or brisk walking. Sitting for long hours should be avoided. Weight-bearing exercises and resistance exercises are particularly important for improving bone strength and helping to prevent osteoporosis.
- A balanced healthy diet: A healthy, balanced diet that includes calcium and vitamin D will help maintain healthy bones after the menopause. Good sources of calcium include green, leafy vegetables (but not spinach), nuts, seeds, dried fruit, tinned fish with the bones in, and dairy products like milk, yoghurt and cheese. Good food sources of vitamin D include oily fish, eggs, and fat spreads or breakfast cereals
- Hormone replacement therapy: HRT can be an effective treatment for common menopausal symptoms like night sweats, sleep disturbance and achy joints. It works by replacing oestrogen, which naturally begins to lower post menopause. HRT can also help to maintain bone density and reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!