Lybrate.com has top trusted Dentists from across India. You will find Dentists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Rahul Bhardwaj
Root Canal Treatment
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Dental Extractions Procedure
Skin Rash Treatment
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Treatment of Root Canal Treatment (RCT)
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Submit a review for Dr. Rahul BhardwajYour feedback matters!
Hi, I am 23years old, I am suffering from teeth problem, between two teeth, there is a gape. So what can I do.
Many adults suffer from Periodontal disease, which may result in slight swelling of the gums or something more severe as grave damage to the bone and tissue, which holds on to the teeth. After the onset of Periodontal disease, dental care is essential as it will determine the progress of the condition.
What are some of the causes of Periodontal disease?
1. Smoking is one of the main causes of gum diseases. Moreover, it also reduces chances of effective treatment.
2. Hormonal changes in women make the gums increasingly sensitive; as a result they become more susceptible to the onset of gingivitis.
3. Diabetic patients are more likely to develop infection of the gums.
4. The ongoing treatment for serious medical conditions like AIDs and cancer can also cause Periodontal Disease.
5. Genetics also plays an essential role in the onset of gums diseases.
What are the symptoms of Periodontal disease?
1. Persistent foul breath
2. Red inflamed gums
3. Tender gums with some amount of bleeding
4. A sensation of pain while chewing food
5. Loose teeth
6. Teeth sensitivity
In case these symptoms are experienced, a dentist should be immediately consulted.
How is Periodontal disease treated?
1. The most effective way of treating Periodontal disease, is by controlling the progression of the condition. The type of treatment generally depends on the extent of the disease.
2. Generally the doctor begins treatment by cleaning out the plaque, through a process called scaling and root planing. Scaling gets rid of the tartar from the gums and root planing removes rough spots from the root of the tooth, where bacteria generally accumulate and breed. Sometimes, a laser is also used for the same.
3. After the cleaning is done, certain medicines are recommended and the doctor recommends strict oral care.
4. If the diseases continue to worsen, a surgical treatment may be recommended.
5. Some surgical treatments include flap surgery and bone and tissue grafts.
Various causes of sensitivity in teeth include:
1. Forceful brushing of teeth – it is the most common cause of tooth sensitivity. It causes thinning of the protective layer on our teeth that is enamel. Enamel protects our teeth against insult from food or fluids we take. Loss of enamel leads to sensitivity of teeth
• Gentle brushing of teeth
• Use soft bristle brush
• Change brush after 3- 6 months ( as the bristles wear away)
• Use little toothpaste ( toothpaste has abrasive particles which causes
wear away of enamel)
• Do brushing in up-down movement
2. Tooth decay – caries in tooth leads to tooth sensitivity. Caries remove the protective enamel layer exposing dentine layer to food and fluids. Dentine carries nerves which causes sensitivity
Remedy: Treatment involves removal of tooth decay and placement of
protective barrier on dentine that is a filling material
3. Old tooth fillings – over a period of time fillings may crack or break or get removed which leads to sensitivity.
Remedy: Change of filling in tooth
4. Exposed tooth roots- as a result of aggressive tooth brushing, gum recession and gum disease. It causes tooth sensitivity.
• Use soft bristle brush
• Visit your dentist for gum disease treatment
5. Plaque and calculus - the purpose of brushing is to remove plaque that forms after eating food. An excessive build-up of plaque can cause your enamel to wear away. Again, your teeth can become more sensitive as they lose their enamel protection.
Remedy: The solution is to practice good daily dental care and visit your
dentist for cleanings every six months.
6. Habit of eating acidic foods -fruits like lemon, sweet lime, pickles and tomato juice contains acid which can dissolve enamel of teeth. Frequent use of acidic food causes tooth sensitivity.
7. Habit of tooth-grinding – grinding also cause tooth sensitivity due to loss of enamel.
Tooth sensitivity is treatable. You must have seen toothpaste made for sensitive teeth. However, toothpaste can only help limited no. of patient’s suffering from tooth sensitivity.
If your sensitivity is extreme and persists no matter what you do, please visit your dentist for an oral examination. Visit to dental specialist can determine the most likely cause of your tooth sensitivity and the best solution for your particular condition. I Hope this article will help you.